Salt Pond Theft?

Travel discussion for St. John
stjchica

Salt Pond Theft?

Post by stjchica »

Saw this...Sad that this couple had their trip ruined and also that they had such a sentimental item stolen...Thought it was kind of wierd that it was stolen from a locked jeep and a locked glove compartment...Anyone heard of any other recent thefts similar? Have an upcoming trip and anything of value will stay locked in the villa...
http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... tolen-ring
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
PA Girl

Re: Salt Pond Theft?

Post by PA Girl »

I have heard numerous reports about thefts from vehicles, including glove compartments, at Salt Pond over the years. I seem to remember someone on the forum confronting someone going through their Jeep. Anyone remember that?

I saw that article and feel for them but why in the world would you take that along and leave it in the Jeep? No reasonable person would put $4,000 in cash in the glove compartment so why an expensive piece of jewelry? I hope the ring was insured.
mit43

Post by mit43 »

That's Crazy! Who would take a $4k ring to the beach and then leave it in the car? This is a huge No No!!!! We wear only our Wedding bands and a cheap watch.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
STJVI

Post by STJVI »

Crime certainly happens but fraud does too. I'd bet that insurance scams are more common than we'd like to admit.

Insure your jewelry and "lose" it snorkeling or have it "stolen" from a locked car.

Criminals don't just steal from cars or villas.. they also wear nice suits and take out large policies.
Bill in Va

Post by Bill in Va »

My staff and her husband and three kids lost three game boys, cash, passports at Salt Pond parking lot a couple of years ago. Jeep was locked as well. Lesson is to take it all with you to the beach or leave it home in the villa safe. God bless....Bill
You are never too old to have a happy childhood...
STJVI

Post by STJVI »

Has anybody heard of windows being smashed? Sometimes I'm tempted to leave my car unlocked and just leave nothing of value in the vehicle. I'd rather have someone rummage through my car than break a window.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Although our 20/20 hindsight says we shouldn't do that, I hate to blame the victim (we have no reason to think this couple committed fraud) for this. Perhaps the thieves will realize there is more money and less risk in returning it and getting the reward than trying to fence it.

When we went to Bonaire last year we were instructed to not leave anything in the car that we wanted to keep. If it is in the car, you should expect it to get stolen in Bonaire. One diver told me that the bag containing the wrappers from their lunch was stolen after lunch from their car. We were also instructed to leave the car unlocked to prevent broken windows.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

STJVI wrote:Has anybody heard of windows being smashed? Sometimes I'm tempted to leave my car unlocked and just leave nothing of value in the vehicle. I'd rather have someone rummage through my car than break a window.
Can I ask a dumb question? How are things disappearing from locked jeeps WITHOUT windows being smashed and glove compartments being pried open? Is there somebody on the island with a full set of rental car skeleton keys? Or are they just that fast with a slim jim?

When I rented a car in Spain I was told NEVER lock the vehicle because it was just an invitation to somebody to break the window. You were supposed to leave your cars unlocked and nothing inside. Presumably if someone damaged the vehicle breaking into it, the renter who locked the car would be held liable for irresponsibly locking it.
Connie

Post by Connie »

If everybody ubcluding the police are aware of this problem, why isn't it looked into?

It's not rocket science and it's a small island.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I don't know why I find this story, fishy. First they talk about saving for years to buy a $4000 ring, yet we all know they had to spend a few $1000s to go to STJ. Second, it does seem odd to leave it in the car. Just saying.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I thought that comment seemed weird about saving up for a long time to buy the ring yet being a comparably priced vacation, but there are several explanations.

Maybe they stayed with friends or family for free on the island? Or maybe they camped inexpensively at Maho or Cinnamon? They’re from North Carolina, and decently priced flights can be found from the east coast, especially in the off season. $4000 isn’t a very expensive engagement ring, my husband spent more than that over 10 years ago when he was fresh out of college and not even working yet, so the price of the ring does line up with people who aren’t big spenders.

Maybe they got engaged on STJ, and that’s why they had the ring with them?

There are a lot of explanations that could make them an honest couple.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I don't think there is any reason to assume the couple is being dishonest. Naive, maybe. The Salt Pond parking area is notorious for thefts out of jeeps. To those of us that read the St. John travel forums this is fairly common knowledge, but a lot of people don't research their vacation destinations in advance.

I believe that the safest and best policy is to leave your valuables locked in the villa safe when you are not using them.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Years ago...SIL had a boyfriend photographer. Went to St Pete beach with SIL, MIL, Mrs Random, and boyfriend Guntar. He brings a disposable KMart camera. I ask why? He says "don't bring your good stuff to the beach". So ends the lesson for today.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
islandgirl

Post by islandgirl »

Hi PA girl:

that was us!!! Years ago we went to Francis Bay, parked the car and seen a couple looking thru someones Jeep. We took all our stuff with us and went to the beach. We were leery of them so in a couple minutes we went back to our Jeep and sure enough they were INSIDE looking.!!!!!!! We said to them GET OUT OF OUR JEEP, WE TOOK EVERYTHING WITH US, YOU CANNOT STEEL ANYTHING CAUSE WE KNEW YOU WOULD DO THIS :twisted: :evil: They just looked at us like it was not a big deal and they walked away. We never ever leave anything in our jeep and leave the windows open and doors unlocked so the scumbags know its not worth their time. oh yeah LOVED BUSTING THEM..IT WAS GREAT :lol: :lol: .....from Islandgirl and Cruzin Chris :
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

That is crazy that they were so bold about it!

When we rented on Provo, T&C, the house came with a car. The owner asked that we leave the windows down and the doors unlocked. She said that windows up/doors locked was pretty much a sure way to get the window smashed so the petty criminals could go through the car. She wanted to save herself the trouble to replacing the windows!