New STJ Traveler

Travel discussion for St. John
Linuxx

New STJ Traveler

Post by Linuxx »

Good afternoon all!

My wife and I have visited STJ, and STT on multiple cruises and are in love with the the VI. We have now booked a villa for November, and I had a few questions.

- How is parking around the island? Anything I should know?
- I rented a car through Amalie Car Rental (amazing people) and my flight arrives at 2:50PM. Is there any tips you might have for my travel to Cruz Bay? I know there are multiple ferries that will take me to STJ.
- My wife wanted to use a grocery service to stock the Villa. She used villafoodvi.com, and booked an order. Is there a process with this sort of thing? We received a order confirmation, but we haven't received a bill. I've emailed, and called multiple times with no response. Should we find another service, or just get groceries when we get there? (back story, my wife is afraid that we will be so overwhelmed when we arrive, she didn't want to feel rushed to get groceries)
- We wanted to take a day trip somewhere off STJ, but not to STT. Is there any recommendations someone might have? We are traveling with our 4 year old daughter.
- Should I carry mainly cash, or is CC widely accepted?

Thanks in advance!
CBama

Re: New STJ Traveler

Post by CBama »

we never had any problem parking at any beach in June....

town of Cruz Bay is another story, We parked in the car barge parking lot and just walked back to town.

We loved Amalie Car rental....meet you at airport, then you just drop car back off at airport...

many do day trips to BVI's...(need passport) or you can just do a charter around St John....

don' t know about provisioning...

Credit cards are widely accepted...with a few exceptions...Donkey Diner in Coral Bay. there was a post listing cash only on forum...I will research and post link when i find it.....

need cash for ferry!!!

edited to add link for one of the posts....
think the Tourist Trap began accepting credit cards this summer...

http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... ly#p241305
lprof

Post by lprof »

Linuxx wrote:Good afternoon all!

My wife and I have visited STJ, and STT on multiple cruises and are in love with the the VI. We have now booked a villa for November, and I had a few questions.

- How is parking around the island? Anything I should know?
Unless shopping at Mongoose Junction parking there risks being towed.

- I rented a car through Amalie Car Rental (amazing people) and my flight arrives at 2:50PM. Is there any tips you might have for my travel to Cruz Bay? I know there are multiple ferries that will take me to STJ.
There is only one ferry dock for vehicles and it is in Red Hook. Several different barge companies operate from there; I think a one way ticket is advised as they do not honor each other's return tickets.

- My wife wanted to use a grocery service to stock the Villa. She used villafoodvi.com, and booked an order. Is there a process with this sort of thing? We received a order confirmation, but we haven't received a bill. I've emailed, and called multiple times with no response. Should we find another service, or just get groceries when we get there? (back story, my wife is afraid that we will be so overwhelmed when we arrive, she didn't want to feel rushed to get groceries)
From previous discussion of this provisioning company, I think you will need to try another. http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... vi#p261963

- We wanted to take a day trip somewhere off STJ, but not to STT. Is there any recommendations someone might have? We are traveling with our 4 year old daughter.
You might want to consider a boat trip for a day or perhaps a half day. Passports are necessary if going to the British Virgin Islands.

- Should I carry mainly cash, or is CC widely accepted?
Cash is necessary for taxis, some restaurants... many shops and restaurants do accept credit cards. Many forumites try to tip with cash.

Thanks in advance!
I hope members with more details can add to mine.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Welcome!
Here's a link to Pia's directions to the car ferry: http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... +car+ferry
You don't need to bring all the cash you'll want for your trips. There are several ATMs on island. Three that I can think of are 1) In the Starfish marketplace, 2) at the bank in Cruz Bay 3) at the mini mart in Coral Bay. Be aware that there is only ONE gas station on St. John, though, and it is in Cruz Bay. Cruz Bay is a fair drive from Coral Bay, so don't let yourself run too low to get back to town for gas!
The folks, the cars and the service at Amalie are wonderful!!! They will include a map in the car, that you can use to follow Pia's directions on. They also give you an emergency number in case you have any issue with the car (but you won't - they are brand new).

:D You are going to have SUCH a great trip!

Sorry, I can't figure out how to post a link. Hopefully you can copy and paste that, or do a search with "Pia directions car ferry."
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I didnt read the link but I do remember reading on this and another forum that villa food was no longer in business.

We have provisioned on other islands where it is so simple and reasonable, just putting in an order to the rental agent and pay a $20 or less delivery fee.

STJ isnt that easy. It costs a bit more and the services have a higher price structure. Still, we do it every year. We have used Katilady for many years and Christy's most recently because we rented kid gear from them. Both provided as expected.
Linuxx

Post by Linuxx »

Thank you everyone for all of the information!

We all have passports (this little 4yo has traveled more that I ever did by the age of 20), where in the BVI's should we go? Tortola looks fun!
-Is there a car ferry?
--If not, whats available at the landing? Within a taxi ride?
-Is everything in GBP?

Thanks again!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Ferrys only take cash? Hadn't thought about that...
Is there a customs fee or anything that needs cash if going to the BVI's (Jost)?
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
lprof

Post by lprof »

stjchica wrote:Ferrys only take cash? Hadn't thought about that...
Is there a customs fee or anything that needs cash if going to the BVI's (Jost)?
I can't personally generalize on the ferries, but three years ago the ferry to Jost included all fees in the total which was paid by credit card. I think there is a $25.00 cash customs fee per person if you go by a private boat.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Linuxx wrote:Thank you everyone for all of the information!

We all have passports (this little 4yo has traveled more that I ever did by the age of 20), where in the BVI's should we go? Tortola looks fun!
-Is there a car ferry?
-Is everything in GBP?

Thanks again!
No car ferry to the BVIs. My only experience with Tortola was clearing in at customs at Soper's Hole. From what I gather, attractions on the island are much more spread out then on STJ. If you book a private boat the Palm Tree charters, the captain will have lots of suggestions.

We have travelled with our son since he was 3 mo old so I know what you mean about having a better travelled kid than the parent! During our BVI day trip, we started with a snorkel out by Waterlemon, lunch at Little Harbor JVD then to White Bay. Even during high season, it was easy to find a quite patch of beach at White Bay. He was 4yo that trip and loved it.
Linuxx

Post by Linuxx »

PA Girl wrote:
Linuxx wrote:Thank you everyone for all of the information!

-Is there a car ferry?
-Is everything in GBP?

Thanks again!
No car ferry to the BVIs. My only experience with Tortola was clearing in at customs at Soper's Hole. From what I gather, attractions on the island are much more spread out then on STJ. If you book a private boat the Palm Tree charters, the captain will have lots of suggestions.

We have travelled with our son since he was 3 mo old so I know what you mean about having a better travelled kid than the parent! During our BVI day trip, we started with a snorkel out by Waterlemon, lunch at Little Harbor JVD then to White Bay. Even during high season, it was easy to find a quite patch of beach at White Bay. He was 4yo that trip and loved it.
Would JVD be better? Has anyone used Palm Tree Charters before?
http://www.palmtreecharters.com
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Palm Tree charters is a VERY popular company, lots of forum members rave about Capt John. We booked the boat for February, which will be our first trip with him. We always needed a larger boat in the past and are pretty excited to finally be able to try it out for ourselves.

Local captains can give you options for Tortola beach hopping. My step-bro and wife are sailors and from their stories, there seems to be plenty of fun to be had at some of the Tortola beaches, I am just not personally familar with any of them.

Also, there are several little islands like Cooper, Peter, etc. where you can stop for lunch or drinks. We stoppd at Cooper Island for lunch a couple of years ago and liked it. It has since been sold and under new management and reports are good.

Do you want a motor (fast) boat or a sail boat experience?

We have sailed with Capt Phil on Wayward Sailor. Capt Phil lives abroad and it is a classic wooden sail boat. We took our son out on it when he was 4 months old. Capt Phil worked wonders with our novice snorkellers and I think he has a couple of grandkids on STJ so he would probably be a great choice if you are looking for a slow ride to JVD. Capt Phil is passionate about marine life, nature, etc. so it was probably be very educational for your child.

This boat also interests me -

http://blacksailsvi.com/kekoa/St-John-Sailing.html

The owners kids often sail with them. Jimmy Buffett's daughter has a web show called ExPats and she did an episode about the boat. I think we are going to book a trip with them in February. Last trip we had a big group and I spoke to the captain about chartering it for the day. Didn't work out for us but I got a good vibe from him.
Linuxx

Post by Linuxx »

PA Girl wrote:Palm Tree charters is a VERY popular company, lots of forum members rave about Capt John. We booked the boat for February, which will be our first trip with him. We always needed a larger boat in the past and are pretty excited to finally be able to try it out for ourselves.

Local captains can give you options for Tortola beach hopping. My step-bro and wife are sailors and from their stories, there seems to be plenty of fun to be had at some of the Tortola beaches, I am just not personally familar with any of them.

Also, there are several little islands like Cooper, Peter, etc. where you can stop for lunch or drinks. We stoppd at Cooper Island for lunch a couple of years ago and liked it. It has since been sold and under new management and reports are good.

Do you want a motor (fast) boat or a sail boat experience?

We have sailed with Capt Phil on Wayward Sailor. Capt Phil lives abroad and it is a classic wooden sail boat. We took our son out on it when he was 4 months old. Capt Phil worked wonders with our novice snorkellers and I think he has a couple of grandkids on STJ so he would probably be a great choice if you are looking for a slow ride to JVD. Capt Phil is passionate about marine life, nature, etc. so it was probably be very educational for your child.

This boat also interests me -

http://blacksailsvi.com/kekoa/St-John-Sailing.html

The owners kids often sail with them. Jimmy Buffett's daughter has a web show called ExPats and she did an episode about the boat. I think we are going to book a trip with them in February. Last trip we had a big group and I spoke to the captain about chartering it for the day. Didn't work out for us but I got a good vibe from him.
Wow lots of info, thanks! I would rather sail, but my wife would rather have more time on the beach. It looks like I might be giving Capt John or Capt Phil a call.

Thanks again!
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

Hope you guys have a great trip! If you want to visit another Island for a day trip I would not do Tortola. We have stayed there several times but for me it is a destination, not a day trip Great place but it takes a while to soak it up, very spread out. I would suggest a day trip to Yost Van Dyke. Beautiful beaches, a couple of great beach bars, you have to go to Foxxy's. Very close to STJ and you can get there by ferry. I'd do Yost one day and a charter boat trip on another. Have fun. We get back on Island Christmas Eve and will be there until after the New Year's. Can't wait.