Best Romantic restaurant on the island?

Travel discussion for St. John
bradw1

Best Romantic restaurant on the island?

Post by bradw1 »

I would like to take my wife to a romantic restaurant before we leave on Saturday. As a first time visitor (thanks to those who responded to my questions earlier this week), I would love some suggestions as to which restaurants you may recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Brad
Jeff&Cindy

Re: Best Romantic restaurant on the island?

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

I liked Banana Deck, but Cindy says Rhumb Lines. So it's Rhumb Lines!
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

Cindy also says any restaurant can be romantic - it depends on who you are with! :)
Three months, four weeks, and two days.....
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I love Banana Deck but is not romantic!

Zozo's at the bar at sunset has my vote
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I still don't understand the Zozo's thing completely. It sounds kinda complicated. What I have gotten is..
You sit at the bar prior to sunset and order some drinks/appetizers, etc...and watch the sunset.
But then I think someone said, you don't eat at the bar...so do you then move to a table after the sunset? So if sunset is at say 5:45...then I would want to be sitting at the bar by 5-5:15ish. Do I make reservations for an actual table for around 6?
It just seems harder/more stressful than it probably actually is...
Please clarify for me..Would like to go but don't want to be stressed about getting a seat at the bar and then trying to get a table after, etc.. etc...
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Concerning Zozo's - The bar is on the second floor and the elevated view from there is better than the first floor where the restaurant is located.

Seating at the bar is reserved for people eating dinner only, you can't go to the bar, have a drink and move on. (Even after all these years, this practice still baffles my husband, he expects a bar to be for drinking, not dining.)

There is a sizable lounge area adjacent to the bar with cocktail tables and chairs. If you want to go to the "bar" for just a drink, this is where you would sit for cocktails. There is table service. We go here first for a round or two and then walk down the stairs for dinner after the sun sets.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Not confusing at all, just particular

The bar seats are only for dining. You make a reservation at the bar and have dinner.

You can also reserve a table downstairs

We love the bar and find it romantic, even if there are others around. The food and the view are what does it for us.
visitstj

Post by visitstj »

We like Turtle Bay Estate House and Caneel Beach Terrace. But especially the Sugar Mill. All are at Caneel Bay resort.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

visitstj wrote:We like Turtle Bay Estate House and Caneel Beach Terrace. But especially the Sugar Mill. All are at Caneel Bay resort.
Does Sugar Mill have great views from most the tables? Also, can you eat dinner there without being a guest?
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

I would also say the Sugar Mill (which used to be the Equator) restaurant at Caneel. You can see beautiful sunsets there and may dine without being a guest at Caneel.
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Does anyone know where I can find a menu online for the Sugar Mill? I did not see one on the website. I am also interested in seeing a menu for Cruz Bay Prime. Thanks!
Jenn, News of St. John
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

CTBeachGirl wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a menu online for the Sugar Mill? I did not see one on the website. I am also interested in seeing a menu for Cruz Bay Prime. Thanks!

We're staying at the Westin 10/28 - 11/4. I'd be glad to "acquire" a menu and scan via a p/m when we get back.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Cruz Bay Prime opens on October 17 (better restaurants available imo) and Caneel resort is closed until November so those restaurants would be out of the running. ZoZos or Asolare would be my pick - at ZoZo's just reserve a table on the railing (early) no moving around needed.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Pia is correct, Caneel does not open until Nov. 1st. I didn't realize you were planning on going before you leave on Saturday. We always enjoyed La Tapa as well.... we tend to sit outside. It can be a bit loud with the traffic passing by, but we usually get a kick out of how close the cars can get!
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Here's my take on Zozo's:

I love it there. Great food, wonderful service. But --- having eaten at the bar for sunset twice, I would choose an upstairs table near the rail instead. The sun at the bar is really a killer for me. It is super hot and so bright you need to put on your sunglasses. When I'm all cleaned up and dressed nicely for a $200 dinner I just don't want to feel like I'm sweaty and melting. Also, the first time we ate there I loved the people we were eating with. The second time, not so much...

That said, our favorite dinners on the island always seem to occur at the Shipwreck bar.