Villa For 4 Couples

Travel discussion for St. John
VI - SMITTEN

Villa For 4 Couples

Post by VI - SMITTEN »

We are group of four couples who will all be celebrating our 30th anniversary in 2013. I have visited St. John once (a short day trip on a cruise) and was smitten with the island. I have been successful in convincing all that St. John is the place to celebrate next year.

The problem? Too many choices on 4 bedroom villas! So many are so beautiful, but I want to make the BEST choice for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. So I'm asking for suggestions. We don't have any strong preferences on location, we will have transportation, and our budget is not severely limited (although $10K/night is TOO much). I think our only true "must have" would be that all four bedrooms be private and have king or queen beds.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and recommendations.
SusanNJ

Re: Villa For 4 Couples

Post by SusanNJ »

Have you considered Kaleidoscope Villa on Ditleff Point? If you are planning on going during low season and with 4 couples, the price can be comparable to smaller villas. My husband and I stayed there last October for our 10 year anniversary and it was stunning! The owner Jack is great to work with. There is a master bedroom with an outdoor shower and room larger then the other bedrooms, but the other 3 bedrooms have king size beds and outdoor showers. It is designed perfectly where the rooms are not on top of each for privacy, yet it is easy to get together in the great room.
https://www.kaleidoscopeusvi.com/virgin ... etails.asp

Also here is my trip report from last year with pictures:
http://susannj.travellerspoint.com/11/
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Have you checked out vrbo.com? You can put in your dates and bedroom requirement and it will pull up listings that are available..A great place to start...
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
jofus

Post by jofus »

this one is on my list...... when I get enough other couples to go with us
http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/property/ ... alm-villa/
Beesmom

Post by Beesmom »

Hi, Vi -Smitten:

This is advice for anyone who gets overwhelmed with villa choices. I never look for what's best or what's perfect - I just make a list of what I think looks good based on whatever criteria I may have (number of rooms, pool, ac, price - things like that). I stop making the list when I get tired of that and I don't really care that there may be better villas I may have missed (maybe I'll catch them next time).

I cull that list to 4 or 5 possibilities based on availability then whatever information / reviews I can find or "I like this one better just because".

I share this shortlist with whomever we are going with with the proviso that I can cast the tie-breaker because I'm doing all the planning.

-Sandy (hope this helps)
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I love the look and location of Coco de Mer in Peter Bay. Split by 4 couples it would be reasonable, especially in the off season. (What are your dates?)
http://www.stjohnvillas.com/villa-listing/coco-de-mer

Jungle Stone looks gorgeous with great views. Sounds like at least one of the rooms is queen rather than king, but worth looking into. http://www.stjohnvillas.com/villa-listing/jungle-stone

Friends of ours stayed at Francis Bay Estate and loved it. http://www.stjohnvillas.com/villa-listi ... bay-estate

Sadly I have no personal experience with any of these villas. However, one that looks nice and would be (much) less expensive is Ixora. We're staying there with another family next year. It's older and less luxurious than the ones above, but I got good feedback on it from other forumites. So if you wanted to splurge on other items (catering in the villa for a dinner, couples massages at the villa, day sail trip, etc.) then it might be worth considering Ixora or something else less luxurious but still with a big pool and beautiful views.

I'm already living vicariously through your dream trip with friends!
jan

Post by jan »

We are also going to St John with 4 couples and researched just about every villa on the island and finally decided on Casa Coram Deo in Great Cruz Bay. The villa is currently under construction but will be available mid January to rent. They are offering introductory rates for the off season for 2013 ($8500.00) We have stayed in many villas on St John and really love the Great Cruz Bay area. I always get nervous when planning a trip for 8 people, you always want everyone to have the best time possible and the choice of the villa is key to a great vacation. I think that Casa Coram Deo will suit everyone's needs and it really looks like it is going to be spectacular once it is completed. We rented thru www.cateredto.com and they emailed me some additional pictures of the progress of the home.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We stayed in Coco De Mer last year and loved it. The bedrooms are spread out so they are very private. Lovely large pool and outdoor area. A few minutes walk down to the beach, though you will need to wear shoes rather than flip flops.
I just looked up Casa Corem Deo and it looks nice! Other ones that I considered last year were Kaleidoscope, Casa Mare and Beach Garden.
Happy Anniversaries and have a wonderful time!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Vida de mar might work
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

We have stayed at Great Turtle Villa(Upper Carolina) and Debolina(Ajax Peak) both great views and comfortable!
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

We loved our stay at Areca (upper Peter ). We used 4 of the 5 great bedrooms (rate adjustment). Wonderful for 4 couples!
ADL

Post by ADL »

I will second Peace N Plenty! We stayed there last winter. All 4 bedrooms with private bathrooms overlook Cinnamon Bay -- What a view to wake up to! They also each have their own bathroom and A/C if you need it, and the common space is very comfortable, complete with a gourmet kitchen. The outside living space is to die for! We spent hours a day just lounging outside watching boats sail in and out of the bay.
VI - SMITTEN

Post by VI - SMITTEN »

Thanks for the quick and insightful comments and suggestions. Keep them coming if there are more...and to Beesmom, a wonderful piece of advice...as the planner I get the final vote AND the first choice of bedroom. I'll post back when the decision is made and dates are selected.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Your budget will determine wether it be luxury, budget or somewhere in between. I have rented a 4 bedroom house for 6 years now and rented in all three catagories. Is there a particular location you are looking for, near town or totally secluded. If it is summertime you may want full A/C. I have stayed at Ocean Palm & Serenta De La Playa and like them equally. I did prefer SDlaP location better. This my next luxury villa: http://www.cateredto.com/hakuna-matata/
Tam-MO

Post by Tam-MO »

We stayed at Acqua Blu and it was perfect. Beautiful location, wine cellar on site, bedrooms are all beautiful and separate.
If you are looking at Coral Bay, Estate Fortsberg has 4 equal bedrooms all with outdoor showers and all on separate ends of the villa. Haven't stayed there yet but there's always hope...
Good Luck and have fun. So many beautiful villas to choose from. :D