"Best" Snorkeling?

Travel discussion for St. John
ms411

"Best" Snorkeling?

Post by ms411 »

According to recent article in "Caribbean Travel and Life" the best snorkeling is in DOMINICA! St John didn't even make top 5. Here's an excerpt of the article.

http://dominicanewsonline.com/news/home ... to-snorkel

Can this be true???? :?:
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
JT

Re: "Best" Snorkeling?

Post by JT »

Take that for what it's worth. The only place they mentioned on STJ was Trunk Bay, not one of my top 20 favorite places to snorkel on STJ.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

That's OK... we'll keep the real "best" to ourselves ;-)
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

The real best snorkling spots are usually where ever you are at the time of the snorkle. I always try to enjoy the moment where ever I am.
High in the rockies?
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

That's fine by me. As STJ gets more crowded, there has been a rise in disrespectful visitors. In 10 trips we've seen a stark increase in the number of people burying cigarette butts in the sand on the beaches, it's become pretty disgusting. So much for "leave only footprints, take only memories" in national parks. The kind of people who leave trash on the beach are also the kind of people who stand on coral and touch turtles while snorkeling. Ugh :cry:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Teresa_Rae wrote:That's fine by me. As STJ gets more crowded, there has been a rise in disrespectful visitors. In 10 trips we've seen a stark increase in the number of people burying cigarette butts in the sand on the beaches, it's become pretty disgusting. So much for "leave only footprints, take only memories" in national parks. The kind of people who leave trash on the beach are also the kind of people who stand on coral and touch turtles while snorkeling. Ugh :cry:
+1 - This past July at Waterlemon there was a group of 10 walking on the coral. I politely asked them to please not do that and I got the FU I'm not gonna drown for some F'n coral. It is sad what some people do the reefs/coral.
conchman

Post by conchman »

I am pretty ok with the free world thinking somewhere else is tops...let them go there...then we can have STJ to ourselves...
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

"If I had trouble the warranty said, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Yes, Dominica is one of the most pristine islands in the Caribbean. It has a very small population, only industry is ecotourism & some fishing. It is a natural wonderland: amazing, clean, clear water, rain forest center. Smaller, quieter, & cleaner that St John. Give it a try, it is a wonderful place.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I liked our day visit to Dominca and it is so where Steve and I would like to return to someday, but I love that St John doesn't get he publicity! Shhhh - don't tell anybody about ur secret little slice of heaven on earth!! :)
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting