jeep rental on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
kma27

jeep rental on STJ

Post by kma27 »

Hi All,

To all you STJ lovers please help me. We will be on STT February 23-March 2. We want to take a day and ferry over to STJ and visit all your beautiful beaches. Here's my question...can we just take the people ferry over and rent a jeep for the day over there? Who should we rent from? It would cost of $605.00 for the week in STT to rent such vehicle and we're really only interested in having one that's "topless" for the day we venture over to STJ. Please recommend a company for me. Thanks very much :D
loria

Re: jeep rental on STJ

Post by loria »

might be hard to a) find a day rental at that point in the year ( they used to do these ages ago.. but i am not so sure that anyone does these reserved at this point)
also, they won't generally let you take the top off the jeep . i am not sure what your agenda is in STT-- but if you will have a jeep there, then take the car ferry (sounds like that wasn't your plan though) --
you can taxi/hitchhike/hike to several great beaches on the north shore though-- so maybe that would be the way for you to go.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Pia

Post by Pia »

I seriously doubt you will find a car for a day with those dates - I sit in the information kiosk in town and get that question probably 20 times in a few hours at that time of year and the answer is always "sorry but we are sold out" (I do check first) The only way you have a chance is to go agency to agency and ask - no one will rent for a day only at that time of year.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
kma27

Post by kma27 »

Ok - thanks for your answers. That takes care of that! I forgot about the fact that it was high season too. What was I thinking.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

We were able to rent a jeep for one day from Delbert Hill's in May a couple of years ago, but it wasn't the kind you can take the top off of. I don't think most rental agencies will let you take the top off anyway. But give Delbert Hill's a call and if you reserve far enough in advance you may be able to get a 1 day rental.

Delbert Hill Car & Jeep Rental
P.O. Box 8321
Cruz Bay
St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
A short one-block stroll from the Cruz Bay ferry dock.

Open 7 days a week

OFFICE HOURS: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
340-776-6637 (office)
340-693-8819 (after 5:30 p.m.)
delberthillrentals@gmail.com
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I know you can't take the tops off the jeeps, but wonder what the reason is? Too much wear and tear from taking them off and on?
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

stjchica wrote:I know you can't take the tops off the jeeps, but wonder what the reason is? Too much wear and tear from taking them off and on?
I think it is because St. John is prone to sudden heavy rainshowers, and the rental companies want to prevent water damage to the inside of the jeep.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.