Adding Anegada to a St. John trip

Travel discussion for St. John
Need2GetAway

Adding Anegada to a St. John trip

Post by Need2GetAway »

We'd like to add on Anegada (BVI) to our spring St. John trip. Has anybody done this? The ferry schedule seems a little daunting. I'm thinking we'd fly into St Thomas, then ferry to Tortola, spend the night, then ferry to Anegada for a few days. On the return, we'll ferry from Anegada to Tortola and then to St. John for a few days. It seems like maybe the ferries arrive from Anegada (Road Town) in a different place than where it leaves from (West End). Anybody know how far apart those are? If you've done this I'd love to hear from you! THANKS.
Charlie2001

Re: Adding Anegada to a St. John trip

Post by Charlie2001 »

The ferry to Anegada leaves from Roadtown, while the St John ferry departs West End. It's probably about 6 miles from one ferry terminal to the other, but BVI taxi rates are sky high. Expect to pay $14 per person each way or more, according to this http://www.bvivacation.com/transportati ... FH4xY1lQf4

Anegada is wonderful, totally laid back, and is probably the ultimate "do nothing but relax" vacation spot. But you'll burn the better part of a day traveling back from Anegada to St John. For me, that's just too much extra work to squeeze in those two destinations. On the way down you'll be lucky to get to Tortola and through customs by 5:00pm after a long travel day, since the Tortola ferries don't run as regularly as the ones to St John. Then taxi to your hotel, which you'll probably want to stay in Roadtown to be closer to the morning ferry to Anegada. Then you have to wake up early the next day to catch the 6:45am ferry to Anegada.

On the way back, you'll catch the 8:10am ferry to Tortola, then taxi to West End and wait for the 12:15pm ferry to St John, clear customs and be lucky to settle in to your St John accomodations by 2:00pm at the earliest.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but the logistics of splitting among these two islands is challenging.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Thanks Charlie! I''m not too worried about the travel time. We'll be there for 11 days and we'll just make it part of the adventure. lol. I just really want to spend some time on Anegada, but I can't imagine going down there and not swinging by St. John for at least a few days. I have friends who used to do it, but now they just go to Anegada. Really, all we ever want to do is lie on the beach and then catch a drink at a waterfront bar, and I love the idea of the uncrowded beaches on Anegada. I ws a little worried about travel time on Tortola though.
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

Gotcha. If you're going for 11 days, that's much different than trying to split a typical 7 day vacation among the two islands. Travel time from Roadtown to West End is about 20 minutes via taxi.

On the way down, I'd suggest taking a ferry that goes straight from Charlotte Amalie to Roadtown, rather than getting off in West End only to have to taxi into town. The Roadtown Fast Ferry has a 4:15 departure that goes straight to Roadtown without stopping at West End.

Enjoy your trip! My bride and I will be on Tortola for two nights at the end of June before a week on St John.
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

HI there! We did this a couple of years ago. What we ended up doing (after tons of research)...was fly into St. Thomas and charter a puddle jumper to Anegada. It cost $500.00 and we were a family of 4. We flew in on a Wednesday and stayed till the Friday 5pm ferry. We LOVED it and had a great time on Anegada. Not much to "do" there, but if you want to relax...you will love it. We then spent the night in Tortola, and ferried over to Soggy dollar bar the next day and then took the 3pm ferry to Cruz Bay....Then we stayed a week on St. John. This was with a 5 and 7 year old too ! Great vacation
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ja, I recommend doing the air charter to Anegada from St. Thomas, or even from San Juan to Anegada. Getting from Anegada to St. John is easier, given the ferry schedule - Anegada to Road Town or Virgin Gorda, then to Cruz Bay/Red Hook.

Another thing to consider is that the Virgin Gorda/Anegada round trip is an easy groove. Spending a couple of nights on Virgin Gorda is a sweet thing. We did the Anegada day trip from Virgin Gorda in April and it was a good time. In 2004 we did three nights on Anegada and saw pretty much everything to see, twice. There's not a lot there. If you go for a walk the cows follow to see something novel, and every vehicle that passes stops to offer you a ride.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

I think I'll look into a one way puddle jumper. $500 sounds like a lot though. Do you remember who the charter company was? THANK YOU!!!
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

anonymous image hosting

temp img uploader

photo hosting

I did this last year, only I spent a few days on VG and went to Anegada for a day trip. We took the ferry from VG early in the morning, got to ANG, rented a Jeep and took in the entire island. We hit Cow Wreck and Loblolly with plenty of time to find the pink flamingos and do a little shopping. Lunch at Big Bamboo was so good it was just stupid. Expensive, but the best Caribbean lobster I've ever had. Even better than the Maine lobster I had in Bar Harbor. We got back to VG in time for a late dinner at the Mine Shaft. I can't wait go again!