Trip Report from First Timer (7/28 - 8/4)

Travel discussion for St. John
MN_Bhoy

Trip Report from First Timer (7/28 - 8/4)

Post by MN_Bhoy »

I apologize in advance for the length of this trip report, but I thought I'd pass along any advice to first time visitors who may have had the same questions as we had.

We arrived in STJ from Minneapolis on 7/28. We chose to stay in a Grande Bay Report Studio due to its convenient in-town location and the fact that we didn't plan on renting a car. Also, we wanted to be within walking distance to Lind Point Trail as our main beach for the week was to be Salomon (more on that later!).

I'll break the rest of the trip down into categories.

1) GRANDE BAY RESORT - Highly Recommend!! We found GBR's location, amenities, cleanliness, pool, and staff to be exactly what we wanted. The nightly walks back from places like the Beach Bar, Motu, The Fatty Crab, etc… were as easy as they come. The rooms are well-appointed, ours had a direct view of the harbor, and we were close enough to leave to screen door open at night so we could fall asleep to the sounds of the waves. We also found that Salomon Beach was a reasonable and enjoyable 25 minute walk from GBR – just under 20 minutes once you reach Lind Point Trail. By all means, don’t think twice about GBR if you’re looking for a place to stay in Cruz Bay. We will be back there next year – funds permitting!!!

2) DINING – We ate out every night and were pleasantly surprised with the Cruz Bay dining scene. For dinner, our favorite place was the Fatty Crab which is located between the police station and Dolphin Market. I’ve read a lot of reviews about The Fatty Crab on TripAdvisor.com and many complained about small portions, average food, and large tabs. They must have been eating at a different place because we had three excellent meals there and all were well under $100 for two with at least two drinks apiece. If you’re looking for something apart from traditional meat/seafood menus, then by all means head to The Fatty Crab! For lunch our favorite place by far was The Deli Grotto in Mongoose Junction. Everything from wraps to salads to smoothies. Stop here before heading to the beach, grab a sandwich and you’ll be set for the day. If they have it, order to Curry Chicken salad – great stuff!!! For night time bites, don’t look past the food at The Beach Bar. I really enjoyed their painkillers and bushwackers while sitting on the beach, but it was their tuna dishes that were the real surprise. We became nighttime “regulars” at this place – the barstaff and the drinks were great, and the location was unbeatable. Sure we had some locals making their case for a few bucks, but it was no big deal. It also helped that we were a pitching wedge away from Grande Bay!

3) BEACHES – SALOMON We came to STJ with the idea of enjoying a secluded beach with beautiful water and good snorkeling. From everything I read, Salomon Beach sounded perfect for us. On Day 1 we arrived in STJ at 3:30pm and immediately headed for Lind Point Trail and Salomon. When we reached the sand, we were not disappointed. Only one couple on the beach, unbelievably clear water, and sugar soft sand. We thought this was our place for the week. Well, on day two we arrived at around 10:00am and all was well until noon. Then the crowds started showing up and our private beach became pretty packed for the rest of the day. We thought we’d try it again on Day 3 and it was even more crowded! Hint – Salomon is a beautiful beach, but news of it being a secluded place enjoyed only by those willing to make the long hike is out!! CINNAMON BAY – on Day 4 we tried Cinnamon Bay. There was a Disney Cruise trip from St. Thomas there on this day, but it still didn’t feel all that crowded. We love Cinnamon Bay – a “deep” beach front with beautiful water, and some great snorkeling along the far right end of the beach. I saw my first sea turtle here and for a rookie snorkeler, this was amazing!! I also saw eels, stingrays, and a barracuda who happened to set up camp around 10 ft from shore and swam between corals. Truly fantastic!!! HAWKSNEST On Day 5 we hit Hawknest – again fairly crowded but not too bad. Great water (maybe the best of all the beaches we visited), and good snorkeling (best was on left side of beach area). TRUNK BAY – we debated on whether to visit Trunk after all we heard about the crowds. We are glad we decided to go. Yes it was crowded, but again it didn’t feel like we were cramped at all. The water was amazing (we were right of the island) and the snorkeling was excellent. When we arrived at large school of small fish were just off shore. I decided to snorkel around it and found large tarpon feeding as well as many stingrays. The guided trail was crowded but good for those who want to see the basics.

4) SHOPPING – Again we were pleasantly surprised by Cruz Bay and the number of nice shops in town. St. John Spice was great and they ship for those of us who don’t check baggage at the airport. Some nice jewelry stores in the area too.

5) OVERALL – aside from the crowds at Salomon, it’s hard to think of anything disappointing about our trip. STJ truly exceeded our expectations, and that is saying something since I’ve spent the better part of six months experiencing the island via Youtube and online forums! We will be back soon – maybe with kids and friends, maybe not! One thing I will add about STJ is the time of year we visited. We found the crowds to be very manageable. Dinner reservations were unnecessary, taxis were readily available, finding seats at the Beach Bar was easy, and everything seemed laid back without being deserted. I can imagine much of this charm is lost during the high season when the things I mentioned above are harder to come by. While I’d love a break from the long MN winters, I think we’ll keep our future visits to the “shoulder” season, when we can enjoy the island without much of a hassle.

ROLL ON SUMMER 2013!! :D
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
jimg20

Re: Trip Report from First Timer (7/28 - 8/4)

Post by jimg20 »

That's great!. I am so happy to hear that the trip went exactly as planned. :D

I am hoping to be back in yor area on 8/27 and 8/29. We can talk then.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Looking forward to it Jim! Thanks again for all the advice - we really had a fantastic time and are now hooked.

See you soon...

Russ
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
jdw

Post by jdw »

Great report!

Did you find Salomon Beach pretty easily? Was the path clearly marked?
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Salomon was easy to find once we got on the Lind Point Trail. Be warned that there's a pretty small sign that points you down to the beach and it could easily be missed. We were looking for it though and had no problems. I have a picture of the sign and will post it for you once I find it.

It was actually an interesting hike too - saw many mongoose, doves, crabs, and iguanas. No donkeys, but we did see signs of them on the trail! Great views of the sunset and Cruz Bay from there as well!!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Excellent Trip Report! Thanks for taking the time to complete it. We've never been to Fatty Crab, so we'll definitely check it out on our next trip (either February or April)!!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Hey MN Bhoy,
Glad you were not disappointed! Sounds like you had done some great planning! Hit Maho next time... you will be glad you did.
P.S. It's fun to leave the MN winters in January, too! Did you fly Delta?? What kind of flight prices did you get in summer?
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

VI Lover - thanks and I'm sure you'll love the Fatty Crab!

MNfuntobeme - Thanks and I hear you about getting away during the winters! It's just that I found things to be perfect on STJ at this time of year. And you're right - I will try Maho next time. As far as rates, I did fly Delta via ATL and used frequent flier miles so we didn't pay anything. That said, the cheapest one-stop rate we saw on Delta was around $750 (excl taxes) and it got higher as the date approached. All our flights were mostly full. I am a former Delta employee and still have flying benefits and I know we would not have made 3 of the 4 legs of the trip if we flew standby.
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks for the great report. Did you make it over to the Coral Bay side at all? :)
Coden
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Coden - no we didn't get over to Coral Bay. We decided not to rent a car and didn't see many buses running through town so we thought it best to stay close to Cruz Bay. Next time though - I hear lots of positive things about Coral Bay!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Thanks for the trip report!
I LOVE TR's...even when I'm on island (like now!) :wink:
Definitely head to Coral Bay on your next trip. You should love it! We do! But, then again - we love the ENTIRE island.... :wink: :)
I think Fatty Crab is on our to-visit this year...thanks for the positive review!
samoka

Post by samoka »

Thanks for the great trip report. can't wa!it for my turn
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

MN Bhoy,
I've flown down the past few times on Delta on FF miles, too. In January, I'm taking my worldperks miles and I'm trekking on American thru Miami for 25k miles as opposed to the 60k miles they wanted on Delta. Grrrrrrrr.....
I have certainly found that my miles on my Worldperks/Flexperks card can take you a great deal further than the FF miles on Delta!
Either way, flights out of MSP have been crazy!
I'd really like to visit in summer when rates are less expensive on villas. I'd like to see what different birds are around during that time of year versus winter.
Glad you made it down... whatever time of year!
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Columbiasctraveler - agreed on Coral Bay for next trip. Frankly we were having such a good time in Cruz Bay that we didn't really think about taking a chance on the bus ride. Next time for sure!! And enjoy The Fatty Crab. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but we really liked it!

samoka - thanks and I hope your turn comes along fast enough.

mnfun2beme - thanks for the FF info. You're right - the 120K used on this trip will make doing the same next year a bit tougher. I don't see rates dropping anytime soon either! :( And as I mentioned, we REALLY enjoyed the summer visit. Give it a shot - we could use some company at The Beach Bar! :D
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

MN_Bhoy wrote: - we could use some company at The Beach Bar! :D

I'll Go! I'll Go! Take me! :wink:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....