Polar Bear Question on Techni Ice

Travel discussion for St. John
Dome526

Polar Bear Question on Techni Ice

Post by Dome526 »

Lots of great ideas from the Forum... I bought the 24 size Polar Bear Cooler. I am planning to bring frozen meat to STJ. Hope the TSA folks don't object! I did not buy ice packs, but looked on Amazon to see several different types of Techni Ice. There are sheets, 3 for $19, and Rubbermaid
Rubbermaid Blue Ice Flexible Ice Blanket for about $11. Which type of Techni Ice seems to work best?
mit43

Post by mit43 »

The Techni Ice referred to is a name brand.

There are other ice packs, but only one Techni Ice.

http://www.techniiceamerica.com/
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have had very good success with the Techni ice. I would urge you to place the TI in the bottom of the cooler than fill it with the meat. I then take the enire cooler and place it in the freezer the day before. Since I am not very smart, I also tape a note to the front door reminding me that I need to get the cooler. :oops: That way I pick it up as I am heading out the door.

The TSA will almost always want to open the cooler and see the meat. The have not wanted to dig through it. Once the find several packages, the zip it up and give it back. Do not open it again until you get to the villa.

Refreeze the TI and use the cooler and TI to go to the beach.

Have a great trip.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

djmom

Post by djmom »

We also have had great success with Polar Bear/ Techi Ice combo.

So good, in fact, that if you plan to cook any of that meat the night you get there, you're going to have a problem. Boiled shrimp might be a good meal because the rest will be rock solid.

So just keep that in mind and plan accordingly!

One last hint is that we always ask the seafood guy for prefrozen tuna, etc...It almost always comes to the store frozen before they get it out in the case. So we eliminate a defrost-freeze cycle. Usually the tuna steaks will be vacuum packed already! Same for all but the best shrimp.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

jimg20 wrote:We have had very good success with the Techni ice. I would urge you to place the TI in the bottom of the cooler than fill it with the meat. I then take the enire cooler and place it in the freezer the day before. Since I am not very smart, I also tape a note to the front door reminding me that I need to get the cooler. :oops: That way I pick it up as I am heading out the door.

The TSA will almost always want to open the cooler and see the meat. The have not wanted to dig through it. Once the find several packages, the zip it up and give it back. Do not open it again until you get to the villa.

Refreeze the TI and use the cooler and TI to go to the beach.

Have a great trip.

JIM
TSA opened and unwrapped each peice of meat (I wrapped in news paper as recomended by many Forumites) Then looked in the bottom. Would they take the Techni Ice? We did have some thawing.