Frozen Meat

Travel discussion for St. John
Gigi

Frozen Meat

Post by Gigi »

It is our first time bringing a carry-on cooler. Will the meat be okay if it is frozen in zip loc bags or should I invest in a vacuum sealer? Amy suggestions for an inexpensive sealer?
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

This has worked for me the last few trips..

Polar bear cooler ( LOVE IT)
Meat frozen in zip lock bags
1 sheet techni ice
Place entire cooler in freezer a few days prior to travel.

Our travel day includes 1 night stay at airport,so total time with cooler is about 36 hours..
Meat still frozen! :wink:
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Skip the investment in a vacuum sealer- I use Glad Press 'n Seal.

Ditto on the Techni Ice- good stuff.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Did frozen meat last time. The TSA had never seen a cooler like that before and unwrapped each peice of meat. :roll: With our over night in Pensacola, and 6 hr unplanned lay over in San Juan, about half was thawed, but still cold and fine. :wink: If you don't already have a vacume sealer, I seriously suggest you get one. We have a Food Saver (we have worn out 2) and it really saves us all year long. :D I don't think it is absolutely necessary for your trip, but we really use ours all the time! I use to have loss with freezer burn... no more!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

On my last visit, I premade taco meat, italian beef, and a variety of other meats. I froze them in zip lock freezer bags and used a regular soft sided cooler. I packed them in my checked bag.

My flight was at 5:30 and we had a short layover in Atlanta. Arrived at villa by 4pm and the meat was still frozen solid. We had to microwave the taco meat for that first evening.

Hope that helps!
blaze

Frozen Meat on trip

Post by blaze »

I use a simple soft side cooler, about 10 inches square that fits into my luggage. I pack it solid with meats and cheeses. I usually keep the meat in it's original package since the package tray has some styrofoam that ads insulation. I freeze the entire cooler in a deep freezer for three days minimum prior to departure. Going to the airport hotel a night early for early departure, I pack the frozen cooler into a large 48qt cooler packed in ice packs and frozen water bottles that were also in the deep freeze. The big cooler stays in the car overnight at the hotel. Early A.M. I put the softside cooler into my luggage and head to the airport. It always arrives frozen solid. Airline once lost my luggage overnight on arrival, and it was still frozen 24 hours later.