Mary's Creek?

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

Mary's Creek?

Post by mindehankins »

The Shaw's report made me think about how many places we haven't gone, on St. John. I'd never heard of Windswept point (or beach?).
Some place that's always intrigued me is (I think) called Mary's Creek. It's a very shallow bay West of Leinster. You pass it on the way to Francis. On google Earth, I see beach there. Is it accessible? Is it National Park?
I'd love it if someone had the scoop, thanks!
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

A local once told me that it is like a nursery for sharks. Not sure if that was true, and as much as I love a shark sighting, I'm pretty much all set when it comes to mommas and babies.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

This is funny that you post this because I was thinking the same thing last night. I am embarassed to say that I have been more obsessed with the North shore beaches, salt pond, etc, and I have no ventured out too far. I was curious about Fish Bay, Chocolate Hole..
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I've wondered the same thing Minde. I study the Google map like there's going to be a pop quiz. I've always thought that if it looked as good in person as it does on the map more people would going there. I doesn't even look like there's a trail or a place to park.
Tickerless :(
hugo

Post by hugo »

The inner area of Mary's Creek is very shallow and tends to be murky and unpleasantly warm. Not any beach to speak of except a couple of little areas close to Annaberg- parallel to the road.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

GotToGetAway wrote:I've wondered the same thing Minde. I study the Google map like there's going to be a pop quiz. I've always thought that if it looked as good in person as it does on the map more people would going there. I doesn't even look like there's a trail or a place to park.
Oh goodie! I'm not the only one who studies Google map like there's going to be a pop quiz! I've also wondered about Mary's Creek and thought it would be interesting to enter at the beginning of Leinster trail and snorkel to the left. 8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

We've stayed in a cottage within walking distance of Marys Creek 2 yrs in a row, so, I've had the same questions. Depending on the time of day it gets very shallow. At low tide, you can walk across without getting wet. I've also been told that it's a shark nursery. But there are places you could park by the street and slip through the trees to access the water. Never did it due to the shark thing.
Lex

Post by Lex »

hugo

Help me out with a memory check. I have a memory of quite good snorkeling in Mary's Creek on our first trip to STJ (which would have been the mid-80s). Could the area have changed or am I mixing up memories? I've been back and it's as you describe it, but I have a different memory from that first trip.

We would have been someplace closer to Annaberg than to Francis, just a narrow beach area parallel to the road. I don't recall the machineel tree with the sign (although I don't know if it had been put up at that time). I do remember some mangroves. It was quite shallow for a good distance near shore (ankle deep) , but didn't have all the grass. It got deeper as we walked out, then it dropped off. There was a small reef which ran parallel to the road. Excellent coral and a lot of fish (I do know that the underwater world actually was very different in the 80s). Water was clear. It was a really good spot.

We never got back there again until several years later and found it completely different. Very shallow, very grassy. Thick shallow grassy areas. Murky. Nothing we wanted to spend the effort on to see if it was still good out beyond the grasses. I don't know if an ecosystem can change so quickly.

Any thoughts?
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks for the replies! You google Earth studiers are not alone! Shark nursery....ok....maybe not where we want to hang out :?
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

<----- Google Earth person here too...I confess.. :roll:
[/url]
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Interesting. I think Mary's creek is where I heard one should try bonefishing!
Chet

Post by Chet »

Fisheye wrote:Interesting. I think Mary's creek is where I heard one should try bonefishing!
Try Brown Bay...
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
hugo

Post by hugo »

Lex, you were probably more in the area right off of Annaberg, which remains pretty OK snorkeling on the outside of the very shallow flats. As you go up into the creek itself conditions deteriorate.