Bad Kitty - FAIL!!

Travel discussion for St. John
ClevelandDave

Bad Kitty - FAIL!!

Post by ClevelandDave »

Enjoying some ball toss in the surf in front of Gertrudes on White Bay when Bad Kitty shows up.

With their twin outboards in gear, they backed ever so slowly toward my son intending to intimidate him out of their desired piece of surf for onloading their patrons. The "capt" even reinforced their intent by hailing me and asking if I knew that their outboards were live and in gear. Rather put off, I asked if he knew he was about to run over my son.

When they were within 4 feet of my son, they decided that they had backed to shore far enough and unloaded with the "capt" never even peeking out of the cabin during their stay.

Its a big beach folks and backing twin props into a swimmer is not only unprofessional by any standard, its illegal.

I have written to the BVI authorities and intend to contact the licensing authorities in the USVI as well. There will be action taken and my intent is to cost the "capt" his job.

Game on! :evil:
Last edited by ClevelandDave on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pia

Post by Pia »

WOW - not good :( !!!!
Realtor - St John Properties
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

Oh my....this is not good.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

340-776-3497 USCG in STT
Ask for the Marine Safety Officer in charge.
The BVI will have little , if any authority.
It is a USCG Inspected Vessel, with a USCG issued licensed Captain and your complaint will be taken quite seriously.
jeffheil

Post by jeffheil »

I just happened to be there when this event unfolded and witnessed the entire thing. The area was so crowded with boats that there was no where else for the Bad Kitty to go. All you and your son had to do was move for a few minutes and by a few feet and the whole situation could have been avoided. You were too busy coaching your son not to move in order to cause a scene, rather then more intelligently, asking him to move. The Captain was courteous and asked for your assistance several times, but you were simply intent on causing a scene rather then worrying about your son's safety. Of course you are from Cleveland according to your profile, so this behavior is not totally unexpected. Is this the same son that gorged his hand on day two while playing with a knife and coconut? Perhaps you should stick to Lake Erie where it's safer.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Uh, Dave, why did you play with your son's safety and well being? If I saw a big boat with two motors backing into my kid, I would have done everything I could to remove him from harm's way...then had a word with the Captain of the boat. You know you were right....just a good thing you weren't dead right.
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Zero...thanks for the info. I'll put it to good use. Actually, the BVI is discussing the establishment of a roped-off beach at White Bay, prohibiting boats within 20+ yds of shore. Visitor complaints of activities such as Bad Kitty's and the overall lack of a swimming area on some days at White Bay are driving the effort.

Otherwise...
1. White Bay being so crowded that Bad Kitty had nowhere else to go is laughable. Everything west of Gertrudes and east of SDB was open and free of swimmers. The "capt" was too lazy to navigate the anchored vessels and wanted a straight shot in and out.

2. The "capt" never asked for cooperation or assistance and his singluar comment was as outlined in my initial post...basically get the hell out of the way, here I come.

3. At one point I actually did ask my son to move some as the props were getting fairly close. He refused as he doesn't like bullies either. It was at this point that the craft shut down and its partrons, unfortunately, got their belly wet instead of just their ankles.

I find it amusing that the "blame" shifts from the assailant with the vessel and the whirling props to the swimmers who should have been intelligent and gotten out of the way.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Jeff, since this is your first post, I'll just ignore what you said.

Anyone who has had a boat should NEVER put anyone in harm who is in the water.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

OK, don't know why this is in the StJ forum instead of the BVI or OT forum but here is what I read.

Discounting what jeffheil said as he is a first time poster AND managed to insult the whole city of Cleveland in his first post, I don't have anything against first timers but to post an insult on the first post is offsetting.

It sounds like it was a busy day at White Bay, there is no roped swimming area there, someone on the boat made first contact with you but never really asked or told your son to move.

It doesn't make sense to me that no one from the boat asked your son to move or any such request unless they didn't see him until the last minute. Why would they call to you if your son was in their path unless they called to him and he did not hear or was simply not going to give up his turf, or surf as it were.

It doesn't make sense to me that you would wait until the props were turning just 4 ft from your son before you made contact with anyone on the boat and you waited for that contact to be initiated by the person on the boat.

I wasn't there but I know that I certainly would have reacted differently to the events you describe. I would have first hailed the boat to let them know someone was in their path long before they were 4 ft away from my child, then I would've removed my son and in the been in the captains face.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Please let's keep this thread civil -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Chet

Post by Chet »

Perspective... as a bike commuter in the city, cars in the bike lane bring out my anger management issues. Last week I was ready to get up in some guy's grill when a passenger in another car leans out the window and in a mellow tone says "let it go".

I did.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

I'll refrain from my Judgy McJudgerson comment since we are keeping this civil and simply say that if this were a poll:

Boat is in the wrong. Hands Down IMO.
JT

Post by JT »

Oh, great. Now there will be roped off swimming areas in White Bay. There goes the neighborhood, Uncle Jerry!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

At one point I actually did ask my son to move some as the props were getting fairly close. He refused as he doesn't like bullies either. He refused?????????? If I didn't do what my parents told me to do, I would have had an ass whoopin' for sure!!! I'm with the boat, all you had to do was move, big deal, get over it.
SCMako17

Post by SCMako17 »

All you've really done is teach your kid to sweat the small stuff. Sounds like it ruined your day too. Kid moves out of the way for one minute and all is well. Seems really silly to me. Best of luck on your inquisition.