Juky Good Times on St. John Trip Report!

Travel discussion for St. John
msgcolleen

Juky Good Times on St. John Trip Report!

Post by msgcolleen »

*Juky good times on STJ!
* Juky means July to us because the Inner Visions band was advertising that they were playing the Beach Bar July 4th but they called it Juky 4th! So Juky stuck with us!

A little background: This was our 10th trip to St. John over the last 10 years! Kyle and I took our 18 yr. old son, Chase, and 14 year old son Bryce with us this year to celebrate Chase's high school graduation, Bryce's 14th birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary! But we can always find any old reason to celebrate on STJ! Each year we stay at a different location around the island so we can experience different views and amenities. With college around the corner for Chase, we really couldn't shell out the big $$$$ on a big villa this year and would be happy with something clean & simple, close to town with a nice view. I found Sugar Bird Nest, which is the lower apartment of a private villa called Sugar Bird Hill located in a gated area right at the top of Contant Point. Our sweet villa owner, Lee Morris, who has lived on STJ for 18 years, was great to work with and became our island mother during our stay!

*Juky 3~ Travel Day~ Everything was smooth sailing until take-off from Miami to STT. The hydrolic fuel sensor light came on so back to the gate we go to wait 2 hours on the plane for maintenance to come and let the captain know that everything is ok, sign a bunch of paperwork and then wait for the little truck that pushes the jet away from the gate. So, instead of the 9 p.m. ferry, we take the 11 p.m. ferry full of people who are ready to party all night for the Emancipation Celebration and Jouvert leading up to the July 4th parade and fireworks! The island was alive and kicking, something I've never seen before since we're usually here in August or October. We would have stayed at the festival a while but sweet Lee was waiting for us at the dock ready to take us up to Sugar Bird Nest to get us settled for the night. She gave us a box of earplugs and said we would need them tonight and tomorrow night. She was right! Cruz Bay was jamming until 2 a.m.and then it started again at 4 a.m. until 8 a.m. PAR-TAY!

*Juky 4~Happy Independence Day! We woke up to birds chirping instead of a boom, boom, boom from the music just an hour ago. The view from the apartment was partly obstructed by tropical trees and plants but we were welcomed to come upstairs anytime to enjoy Lee's perfect panoramic view of St. Thomas, Cruz Bay and the hillside above. Since our rental car company was closed for the holiday, sweet Lee let me use her car to stock up on groceries at Starfish Market, just minutes down the hill. She also reserved a table at Morgan's Mango for all of us to have lunch and watch the parade from a birds eye view. What a crazy fun afternoon! Great music, bands, costumes, dancers, beauty queens, beads and beer! The parade came to an end about 3 p.m. and we made our way back to the villa to hear Lee play her grand piano, sing and she even had a guitar for Kyle to play! Her cute little dog Gigi loved the music too~ Lee suggested that we pick a song and practice for open mic night at the Sun Dog Cafe next week! Sounded like a plan ... but it was almost time for the second half of the festivities to start. Dinner at Woody's, meeting a bunch of forumites at the Beach Bar, mosey over to Grande Bay to watch the awesome fireworks and then back to the Beach Bar for Inner Visions and then ended up hot tubbing in Kenny Chesney's hot tub back at the villa! That's right! When Kenny sold his Peter Bay villa the new owner didn't want the hot tub so Lee bought it and brought it to Sugar Bird Hill! Our minds were wondering what stories this hot tub could tell as we were singing songs from "The Old Blue Chair" in our twangiest country voices! What a fun first day on the island~

*Juky 5~ It's so quiet this morning! Made a hearty breakfast and then took the steep walk down the hill to pick up our rental car and snorkel gear for the upcoming week. The car we reserved hadn't been returned yet so we drove a different car for the day. We hit the north shore road, our absolutely favorite road in the whole world and landed at Cinnamon Bay.This is always our first beach stop of the vacation. It was lunch time so we enjoyed cheesburgers in paradise at the T'ree Lizard Restaurant. We walked the trail to the far left and had never noticed before the hundreds of holes in the ground with sand crabs sitting outside of each hole. The closer we came the quicker they scurried down their hole! Chase and I snorkeled over to Little Cinnamon to see the old plane wreck and found it right away. Kyle and Bryce were next and they couldn't find it at all. Bummer!
While they hung out at the beach, Chase & I decided to walk across the street to the Cinnamon Bay Ruins. Easy trail and cool ruins. Time was flying and it was time to head back to the car rental place to exchange our car for the actual car we rented. Back up to Sugar Bird Nest to rinse off and back in the hot tub to wonder which bubbly seat was Kenny's favorite! Fired up the grill for steaks, sunset cocktails, great music and staring at the twinkly lights of St. Thomas while the tree frogs serenade us. It doesn't get better than this . . .

*Juky 6~ TGIF! I promised I was going to wake up with the sunrise each day but it was getting harder and harder to actually get moving. The boys could have slept in all day but the sun was shining, breakfast was made and it was time to pack up and head to the East End hoping for a great snorkel at Haulover North. We tried it last year and it was way to rough. Unfortunately jinxed again with the same rough weather. Amazingly enough the south side was calm and we made our way over to our first visit to Vie's Beach, paid our $10 entrance fee and found some beat up lounge chairs to kick back, relax and soak in the view. We snorkeled to the left and right with all the usual underwater suspects to greet us. By the time we were ready to pack up and check out the Snack Shack we couldn't believe how packed it was. We should have ordered our lunch earlier but now we were ready to avaoid the lines and waiting and head straight to Skinny Legs. There's nothing better than a Blue Burger and Dark & Stormy after a great snorkel. NOTHING! We were now re-energized and worked our way back up the north shore road to Gibney. No parking so Hawksnest was the next best thing and what a surprise that our nice little cove was empty just waiting for us to settle in for the afternoon. We snorkeled, we swam, tossed the frisbee and bouncy water ball and chilled the afternoon away. We made it back to Sugar Bird Nest for the sunset, KC hot tubbin' and pasta italiano~ Another great day and only 4 mosquito bites! Yea! :)

*Juky 7~ Woke up early just to soak up the morning view, feed the sugar birds and pick up some supplies at Starfish. After breakfast I tried to talk the boys into hiking to Solomon Beach but had to compromise and take the leisurely drive over to Caneel Bay Resort for lunch and snorkel at Honeymoon and take the trail over to Solomon. O.K. That will work! Lunch at the beach terrace was fabulous! Snorkeling great! I saw a Lemon Shark, stingray and all my fishy friends. Hopefully Liamsaunt will post all her incredible underwater pictures when she gets home and you will see what I saw :) Anywho~ the afternoon flew by and we made it back home for a killer sunset and we saw the green flash! Grilled Teriyaki Ginger Glazed Pork Chops and corn on the grill with salad and you couldn't have asked for a better day!

*Juky 8~ Island time has really kicked in and we are really moving slow this morning. Was it the sun? Was it the fun? Was it the rum? Maybe, well yes! But something I have always wanted to do is drive on the roads we've never traveled on. That means driving all the way out to the Lameshure Bays or all the way out past Fish Bay to Reef Bay. We chose to drive as far as we could towards Reef Bay, up and down and around and around and we made it as far as we could go. Thank goodness there was a place to turn around. By the time we got back to town, boy were we queasy~~~ We took a little siesta at the villa while Chase grilled hamburgers for lunch. We had plans to meet up with some forumites at Maho today so off we go! I got a little worried when I saw that the parking lot at Hawksnest, Trunk and Cinnamon were overflowing into the sides of the road. I guess everyone thought Sunday at the beach was a great idea! Maho was the same story~ Jammed packed. We circled twice and waited and waited but nothing came available. We drove to Francis Beach and found a spot right up front so we staked out a big shady spot and set up camp. Chase and I went off to snorkel to the left and decided to go all the way to Maho with excellent sightings along the way. Stingrays, schools of tarpon and the biggest sighting was SoOntheBeach and family at Maho! It was great to see them and needed to borrow their cell phone to call Kyle back at Francis Beach and tell him that we were still alive. We snorkeled back and packed up to go back to Maho. We found parking since everyone was leaving. Kyle and Bryce didn't have a chance to snorkel so we ended up staying until the sun was setting! OOPSIE! It was the forum gathering at the Beach Bar and there was no way we were going to make it! By the time we loaded up, we took the north shore road back to Cruz Bay with "Be As You Are" playing and the sun shining in your eyes through the plush green canopy of tropical bliss singing... "I wanna go where I can lighten up the load. Drive a little while on the wrong side of the road. Get this laying low off to a flying start" Perfection~ Banana Deck for a late dinner and Ish band playing in the background at the Beach Bar. Sorry we missed the forum gathering but hope to see you all again next year!

*Juky 9~ Chillin' at the Westin! Another slow moving morning but finally got our rears in gear and drove over to the Westin to splash around at their really nice pool. I know there's some kind of rule about non guests not sitting on their chairs and stuff but there were plenty of lounge chairs to choose from and we felt like the nice tab we were running at the pool bar easily paid for us to sit there a few hours. The boys had fun and maybe if it rains $$$ on us one day, we could buy a timeshare :)

*Juky 10~ More limin' and chillin' at Sugar Bird Nest. Usually we would be packing up and leaving to go home by now since we have always had a 1 week stay. But this year we extended it 2 more days and that makes a world of difference. We slowly make our way over to the Catherineberg Ruins on John's Head Road. I wanted to be adventurous and take the road down to the North Shore Road but chickened out. We kept on going down Centerline over to the Annenburg parking lot and walk to Leinister Bay. We snorkeled all the way over to Waterlemon just to see the starfish and no starfish! We'll let's go clockwise around the cay and swoosh! Major currents! We decided to turn around and go back to Leinester and it was a killer workout getting back! We were whooped after that 2 hour adventure so Bryce got to name our late lunch destination . . . Woody's! No surprise there as we boogied down the north shore road to town. Yummy mahi sandwiches and then back to the villa for much needed showers, hot tubbin' and more rest and relaxation.

*Juky 11~ Our last full day :( So much to do, so little time! The last beach on the north shore road that I haven't been to yet is Denis! But first a quick stop to finally meet Pia in the the tourist info booth right there by the ferry and St. John Spice. She's just as lovely as ever in person as she is on the forum! After turning in our snorkel gear we pulled into the Peace Hill parking lot and took the trail down to the deserted Denis Beach. Windy, sandy, rocky and cool~ I'm glad we didn't schlep chairs, coolers, snorkel gear and beach bags down this trail because it would have been a struggle going back up. Wear tennis shoes too! It's a workout getting back up but worth the trip! So nice to check this off my to do list! Lunch was calling and we had lots of leftovers to choose from in the fridge, but Candi's ribs and chicken sounded so much better! 2 orders with 2 sides easily fed the 4 of us. De-lish~ The boys hung out while I topped off the gas and drove up the hill to visit Betty from the forum and see all she has done at her new villa since I visited last year! Everything looks great and the views are to die for. Dang. I forgot to take pics but thanks Betty for giving me the grand tour! :) That evening was open mic night at Sun Dog Cafe and our debut as the Partridge Family singers! We had a great time hearing all the amazing local talent and then it was our turn singing a Beatles tune "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." It was fun and everyone sang along! What a great day and great end to our family vacation. (Clark Griswold would be proud) We met a lot of new friends, met up with lots of forum friends, discovered new beaches and just relaxed and soaked up the St. John vibe. Trip #10 was just about perfect! (don't remind me of #8 with Hurricane Otto) Anyone up for #11??

Cheers to all you St. John Lovers out there! Until we meet again on island or within your trip reports. . . go where the wind blows you~ Colleen 8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
loria

Post by loria »

perfect!!!!!!! what a great vacation you guys had! I don't know if i EVER would get the courage up to sing at an open mike night--(unless i had a significant number of some high powered beverage under my belt)-- you guys literally rock!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Great report and pictures! It was nice to meet you on the 4th of Juky! That was a crazy day!!!
CBama

Post by CBama »

great report....enjoyed...

I especially liked recognizing the beaches in your pictures because I had been there!!! yeah....

encouraging reading a report not staying in an expensive villa also...gives me some hope for a return trip...
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

lots of great pics
loved meeting you all
btw, KC always in hot tub nekkid!

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Colleen, great trip report and pics. So glad that you and your family had such a great vacation (we did too)! So nice to have finally met you.....until next time :) Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
BeAsUR

Post by BeAsUR »

Awesome trip report....I took notes. :lol:
Here's a toast to you on the coast....

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Colleen, sounds like such a fun trip! So far my hubs and I have just kept St. John to ourselves, but I really want to take my kids and their wives and girlfriends and share my "happy place"! 12 days until our 8 nights on the rock!!! :lol:
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Thanks for all the nice comments! I seriously only write this report so I can go back throughout the year and read it again to remind me how blessed I am!! :wink:
I hope the next batch of forumites that are heading down next week plan to get together! Hopefully they restocked the shelves with more Cruzan Dark too. It was getting low last week! :shock: Cheers! :wink:

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Thanks for the report. It is just what I needed on this cool, rainy PA morning. I haven't been to Denis yet either, must put it on the Feb 2013 list.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Happy Juky to you!! What an awesome TR and fantastic pics. Thanks for sharing your beautiful family with us. Made me feel like we were there with you. Love your villa that you stayed in, sounds like your landlord is a swell lady. I am so thrilled that you all got to share this family time together. Peace and Love!!
Coden
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

Thanks for the report. I don't think I'm gonna be able to sleep this weekend till we are on the plane this sunday AM. 2 days till we are on the rock.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

What a WONDERFUL trip and trip report! Thanks for sharing!
A few thoughts....
Wish I could see the green flash! How cool!!!!
You are SO RIGHT about the blue cheese burger from Skinny's. Satisfies every time! Ready to consume a few in a couple more days!
We have yet to snorkel Hawksnest, amazingly enough! Maybe this trip!
Please remind me of the cost per person (or is it by car?) at Caneel to access Honeymoon / Solomon. Thanks!
The picture of your 2 boys between the palms (Juky 7 :wink: ) is AMAZING!!!! Definitely frame-worthy! How special!
So glad y'all finally made it to the secret beach! I really enjoy it there!
Perhaps this trip we'll also try Candi's and/or Joe's. Still so many things to do / see / eat on each trip!
Thanks again for the trip report!
Rhonda

Post by Rhonda »

Loved your trip report & the pics. Sounds like you had a great time.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Thanks y'all~ :D
ColumbiaSCTraveler: Parking your car at Caneel is $20 but if you purchase at least $20 for drinks, food or items from the gift shop they will validate your parking ticket. You can enjoy their Caneel Bay beach too! But don't sit on their chairs. Have fun and let us know all about your adventures! :wink: