Links to
Part I http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... hp?t=23483

Part II
http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum ... hp?t=23494

Part III
http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum ... hp?t=23523

Villa Review with Pictures
http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum ... hp?t=23511

Tuesday, June 26 Our last full day on island…..

Plan was to go to Vie’s beach and then eat lunch there today

Head out from Coral Bay and make it to Vie’s about 9:55 am, several jeeps are already parked. We pay our $2.50 each and head out to the beach.

We pick out four lounge chairs that still have enough straps to use and settle in for the morning. It was nice having a lounge chair without having to carry it! Some of them seemed in pretty bad shape but we found some that were fine to use.

This is the view

The wind didn’t seem to be blowing here quite as much as we would have liked. It had turned even hotter today.

We wanted to make sure we got our order in before she ran out of anything…so we head back to Vie’s Snack Shop before 12. There are about 4 tables that have already ordered and are waiting for their food.

There were lots of pretty flowers to look at while we are waiting.

Menu

All four of us order the Garlic Chicken with Beans and rice, Johnny Cakes, and Plantains.

My daughter and I both get the pineapple tart

The food was great!!! Total for food and drinks $57

This little fella wanted to eat my leftovers…

We grab the snorkel gear from the jeep and head back across to the beach. I was glad that we snorkeled here. I saw a turtle in the grassy section in the middle. We saw lots of fish over to the left side. There is an old cage or trap in the middle on the way back to the beach. There were lots of fish around and in it including a barracuda that was standing guard. We had a very enjoyable snorkel.

This villa was being built…..wouldn’t that be nice to own!!!! Walk down to Vie’s to get lunch whenever you wanted.

These donkeys must take care of Vie’s when she is closed. I made this picture when we drove by on Sunday when they were closed.

Scenery you see almost every time you venture out in Coral Bay

We decided the donkeys and goats have a time schedule to head to the soccer field at the school in Coral Bay. Then they would head back toward Lily’s later in the day.

We head back to Mumbo Jumbo and The Jolly Dog next to Skinnys. (We never ate here….just never worked out) We pick up a few Tshirts and head back to the villa.

Since it was our last night we debated about where to eat….should we go back to Jessica’s Kitchen or Clean Plates. We hadn’t tried Miss Lucy’s, Shipwreck Landing, or Skinny’s. Not enough time to make it to them all. We finally pick Miss Lucy’s.

I made these pictures one afternoon when they were closed

When we arrived at Miss Lucy’s so did half of the visitors on this side of the island. There were only two servers and about seven or eight tables of guests showed up at about the same time.

Kallalo and crab Soup

Clams

Paella with seafood and sausage

Fufu which is potatoes and plantains

We had ordered conch Chowder, but they were out so they substituted Kallalo and Crab for no charge. No one ever came back to see if we needed anything or checked on our meal…so husband had to drink what was left of my water with his meal. They were really busy since everyone showed up at the same time. By the time the waiter checked on us it was too late, we had already finished eating. We just happened to visit at the wrong time.
Total $104

We head back to the villa to begin packing up for our journey back home.

Wednesday June 27th

Travel Day home…. Nothing left to cook for breakfast (kind of planned to work out that way!)

Loading up one last time

So first stop Donkey Diner for breakfast

Notice how it looks like a chicken is on my husband's head

Stuffed French toast with Mango and Pineapple Chutney (ok..this is big enough to split---but if only one orders you will try to eat the whole thing) I wish my daughter and I had split this since we both ordered and then ordered something small to split also.

Sampler Platter

Smoked Salmon Platter

Our meals were very good. I didn’t take good notes here…pretty sure our bill was around $50

Back in the jeep for our drive back to Car Barge in Cruz Bay

We take Centerline and turn off on Gift Hill Road since we had not been this way. We wind our way back into town and head to car barge. There is only one car in front of us. We wait for it to unload and proceed to back in. Our barge included a Brinks’ truck, a cement trunk, and a dump truck…we were packed in!

We are on our way by 10:30 am…after they take our money we head upstairs for the ride. The wind did not seem to be blowing as much and it was quite warm.

We did not make plans today except to get back to airport before our flight. We head back toward Charlotte Amalie, decide to take the road by Bolongo Bay for some different scenery. Two cruise ships are in port at Havensight and another in Charlotte Amalie. Town is quite crowded.

I wanted to eat at Glady’s Café for lunch. We park in the little lot between the street vendor tents and the shops. We are not shoppers so we decide to go on and eat since it’s around noon now. (since it took us about 15-20 minutes to make our way around to the parking lot from the main road) We spend a few minutes looking for the café.

If it weren’t for the crowds and the heat I would have enjoyed walking around here. My daughter said it was too “touristy” for her. The taxi drivers were asking everyone if they needed a taxi, and the store vendors were trying to lure you into their shop. (just not the peaceful scene of St John)

Jerk mahi sandwich

Curry chicken roti---I made a picture since this is what I had…but it was one of the pictures that evidently did not get recovered with the program I used.

Sweet plantains and steamed veggies (no picture of the conch chowder)

This restaurant is air conditioned which was greatly appreciated since it was very hot in town.
Total for four with drinks $87

As we are headed back to the jeep, I overhear a husband telling his wife and daughter “We are not shopping for jewelry today”. I think he had had too much shopping!

We had brought our polar beer cooler with the remainder of drinks from the villa. We handed them out to people sitting in the park section next to the parking lot. We stop and fill the jeep up and call Amalie Car rental to let them know we are heading back to airport.

We had a great experience with Amalie….would definitely recommend them. We arrive back at the airport around 2:30 for our 4:40 flight. This flight leaves on time and we are back in ATL by 8:15 pm.

I will follow up with one more installment with observations and comments. (will be sad when I finish)
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I am SO with you about STT. SO touristy!
My husband's fave meal at DD is the stuffed french toast! I showed him your picture and his eyes lit up! :wink:
I seriously hope Vie's will be open this year! She has not been open on our 3 previous trips in August. :cry:
Thanks for the amazing trip reports! So glad y'all had a great time! Y'all did so many AWESOME things!
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Loved your report. Thanks for sharing. Your food pictures made my mouth water. I totally forgot to take any food pictures when we were there. I love getting ideas for the next trip!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

You sure managed to fit ALOT in!!! I've enjoyed your reports from camp on my ipad, but didn't respond cause I hate typing on it. They've been terrific, though.
What is the Donkey Diner french toast stuffed with? That sounds like something I'd like to try at home for an easy breakfast supper ;)

I hope your vacation helped you guys settle after a bad, bad month!
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

great pics, looks like there was alot of traffic in Coral Bay :), it is so depressing heading for the car barge, on the way back to STT we were stuck on the barge parked right next to 2 huge trash trucks, it was so nasty, I can say this one time I was glad to get off!
CBama

Post by CBama »

Minde..it was cream cheese....really good....
and we did really enjoy the trip...helped recovery...

myheartsinsj: we watched the workers on the ferry motioning everyone back..it was quite scary how close they let them get...some vehicles were touching.
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

It sure looks like an awesome trip. I loved your reports.... especially the food and dollar totals you spent on meals. That is much appreciated! Thanks for taking pics of the menus!
There should be a warning sign to not read your review when you're hungry! Again, thanks for taking the time to share your information. Looking forward to your last installment!
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Seems like you had a great trip! Loved your reports.
Tickerless :(
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Loved your whole report! It was very informative! Even an old timer like me got some good info, and I loved your pictures. I need to see if my camera does panoramic pictures. Yours were great!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We pick out four lounge chairs that still have enough straps to use and settle in for the morning.

Ha! So true. We made our first trip to Vie's in February and loved it but I do think first timers deserve a warning about the chairs, few appear usable. I don't expect much for $2.50 but I could see how someone would read "pay and be able to use her beach and chairs" could be a little disappointed and/or surprised by the offerings.

I see that house is coming along at what appears to be a faster than normal STJ pace.
CBama

Post by CBama »

thanks everyone...

we thought it was quite worth the 2.50 fee for any chair we didn't have to carry to the beach even if it was missing some of the straps! the walk to Vie's is very short though...quick walk back for lunch and to pick up snorkel gear.

I daydreamed about living in that house on the hill above Vie's. wonder if it will be on the rental market?

mnfun2bme: I always enjoyed when the cost of the food was included and pictures also in reports. I wish I had taken notes on cost of the individual items..that is something I can do next time Sometimes the drinks prices added up quickly to the total cost.
USVIBamaFan

Post by USVIBamaFan »

So glad you made it to St. John this summer...we talked last year while planning our 30th anniversary trip, and you were hoping to get to St John soon. We just returned from Santa Rosa Beach over the 4th, which was much fun; but better than that trip is our trip back to the islands the week after Thanksgiving. Never thought we'd get back that soon with a son at Alabama, but we are splitting the cost with another couple, and renting the same villa we did last year.
So impressed with all that you did during your trip, especially the hiking and exploring of all the beaches. Glad you got to go...maybe you will be surprised and make it back before the 5 year mark...we never thought we'd get back so soon either.
Your trips reports were great -
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I have thoroughly enjoyed your reports and pictures! You seem to move around and do a lot, which is what we like to do on St John too. I'm going to miss your installments now that you are done :D
Image[/url]
CBama

Post by CBama »

USVIBamafan: congratulations on your trip sooner than you thought!! We have a daughter at Auburn and a Senior in high school that may attend AL...We are all AL fans except the daughter...But we live real close to Auburn, so that makes it easier. hope you have a great trip!

KYgirl: not knowing when we would get back, I wanted us to see as much as possible... We did just relax on the beaches and deck at the villa...but we traveled all over the island too. I like reading all the trip reports. It's amazing how people vacation differently. We love the beach and stay all day usually at a beach somewhere(or two or three), while others in their reports only stay a few hours.

I still have to finish the wrap up...don't want to finish....