Trip Report Day Three - Boat Trip - NOT

Travel discussion for St. John
pswlrw

Trip Report Day Three - Boat Trip - NOT

Post by pswlrw »

Slept fitfully because I knew we had to be up early. It had started POURING the night before and as I lay in my gorgeous bedroom (pictured here on a sunny day)

I could hear the rain on the roof. Not looking good for boating. Captain Kevin called and said he thought we’d have a better day tomorrow and he was available so that was the new plan. Let people know that the day was cancelled and a few went back to sleep. The rest of us milled about, looking at the rain. Tom walked over from Cara Mia and said there was a huge tree in the road. Sure enough, because of all the rain a tree had come down from the hill and was laying across the road. Lisa said she had gotten up in the middle of the night and pushed it into the road to make sure we didn’t leave her again :lol: Luckily, someone else felt the need to leave before we did and enough of the tree was cut away so that we could pass. A plan formed to head out to Skinny Legs for lunch, then back into Cruz Bay for shopping and a few drinks while we wait for my cousin Eileen to arrive. Luckily, by the time we finished making an AWESOME breakfast of bacon, eggs and homefries (the thick cut bacon at Starfish is just delicious!), the skies were still cloudy but the rain had stopped. We headed out up Gift Hill road (what a ride!) and stopped at Chateau Bordeaux for some pictures.

Headed on to Skinnys. Spent a while chatting with Moe and his wife Toni. Had some yummy painkillers and burgers (they really are delicious!!). I think improvements have been made to the septic system because there were no odd smells coming from anywhere. Bought a few T-shirts and headed into Cruz Bay. Did a little shopping and headed to the Beach Bar for a few more painkillers. Allie the bartender was great, the Bar was hopping and we all had a great time.

This may be my favorite picture, because it really captures the week. We just laughed and laughed and laughed!!

My cousin arrived on the ferry and we brought her over to the Beach Bar. Went over to the Banana Deck to see if they could accommodate us for dinner, but because of the torrential downpours they would not be able to open the two lower decks so that wasn’t going to happen. Folks in the group had some fried shrimp, artichoke dip and nachos. I would have to add the Beach Bar food to the under rated quality. Maybe it was the painkillers :D but it all tasted really good!!

Headed back home and milled around a bit in the rain – boy was it coming down!! Five of us decided to head into town to grab a bite somewhere; the rest were going to hang at home. Wandering around in the torrential downpours, we ended up at Café Roma. Caleb the waiter was a real personable guy originally from Maine. Two of us shared the Chicken Parmigiana, two shared the ravioli and Tom had a chicken Parmigiani to himself. We all had leftovers, even the shared plates. Tons of food here. It was good, not great, but we had a fun time. Also, they have delicious chocolate truffles for dessert! Caleb told us he was a fire eater and that after dinner he would give us a demonstration downstairs. Sure enough, he met us on the street and blew a little fire!! (I thought I had a picture of him with fire actually coming out of his mouth, but this is the only one I found?)

Decided to head over to Woody’s. Grabbed the middle table and we just had a blast!! Great energy here, loved the music and folks just couldn’t have been friendlier. Caleb the waiter showed up and bought us a round! Gotta love that.

A great day, despite the rain.
Paula

Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Sure looks like you all know how to have a great time nomatter what the weather brings you. I hope you had the chance to go on your boat trip after all. Keep smiling and enjoy! Barb
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Thanks for another good report.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Glad your having a good time
2catlimit

Post by 2catlimit »

Hey Paula,

We were there living the weather with you.
Missed you at the Beach Bar, but not to worry, I had a couple of drinks for you.
Which one are you in your pictures? Looks like a nice group and a fun time. 8)
Kathy Henion
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Thanks. I am the one in the pink sleeveless top and the glasses on the left.
Paula

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Sounds like you made the best of it despite the rain!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

You all really look like you're having such a great time in your pics. Thanks for sharing!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:56 am.