Please don't scold me for this....

Travel discussion for St. John
islandjo2010

Please don't scold me for this....

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hello Everyone!

Please don't scold me for posting this on here...I did post on the STT forum but have only had replies from jimg20 and PA Girl (thank you both :) ) and neither of them could help me!

My 12 1/2 year old daughter and I will have 3 days on STT when my husband and son are out scuba diving. Then we head to STJ for 2 weeks where we will snorkel everyday. This is our first time to visit STT (only second visit to STJ), so we will explore STT beaches, but thought I would try to find something special for my daughter and I to do.

Is Coral World worth a visit and if so what encounters are the best? Are they worth the extra $30 - $60 per person?

Has anyone done the Trek at Coral World? It looks neat, but a very short time under water!

Thanks for your help and any other suggestions for the day would be appreciated!

Jo
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Make sure that there is at least one cruise ship in port if you go to coral world I took my son there on a day when there wasn't any in and more then half of the building were closed,trek wasn't running. They didn't tell us this before we payed we were very dissapointed we complained on or way out and the woman behind the counter told us you pay your money and take your chances. I will never go back. But some people like it.
Tom
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

We have a stop there on our cruise this Nov. We have had friends recommend water island. I have never been there but we are going to give it a try. You can take a ferry there short ride for a few dollars each way. It looks like a short hike to honeymoon beach.

I also like the tram ride up St Thomas. Beautiful view and you could have a drink and lunch up there.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

waterguy ~ Thanks for that tip! I tried to google the STT cruise ship schedule for June and I think there will be one on one of our 3 days!

cindygad ~ Tram ride? Are you referring to the Skyride to Paradise Point? I thought that looks pretty cool too!
8)

Still hope to hear from someone who has gone to Coral World and done an Encounter!!!

Thanks! :D
Jo
Connie

Post by Connie »

I'm sorry that I didn't see your post. I have an iPad addiction now and I've missing slot.

My daughter did sea trek and liked it. She also met the sea lions and even liked that more, but one of her friends worked there and she didn't even have to pay.

Anyway, Coki is a pretty cool beach. Many, many fish and easy snorkeling. People feed the fish, which I don't agree with, but if you just put your fingers in the water, they'll right up to you. She can also get her hair braided right there.

Mountaintop has a beautiful view, although the stores that use to be in there have suffered since they had a fire awhile ago.

Sapphire is fun and very good snorkeling. She may even meet some other kids there. You can also rent kayaks, snorkeling gear, rafts, etc.

I'm sureyou'll enjoy no matter what.

12 1/2 is a very strange age.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Gretchen3

Post by Gretchen3 »

It's a very nice hike UPHILL on the trail at Magen's Bay. It takes you right to the dairy for a tasty ice cream drink. :D
Or you could have the taxi drop you off at the top and hike down.
I think Magen's Bay is a real special beach. They rent lounge chairs and those nice blue float mats. 100% sand beach and in the water, no real snorkeling, but you will get that at plenty of other beaches. We rented single and double kayaks there and enjoyed exploring the calm, very protected bay.
Magen's Bay would be a great 'Girl's Day' beach.

We were at Coral World on a pretty quiet day, but we were able to do the sea turtle encounter without reserving it ahead of time. My 11 year old nephew and 16 year old niece really enjoyed it. I don't know if it was because it was a quiet day, but it lasted a really long time - like an hour. They let us get right down in there with our cameras to take tons of pictures. We wanted to do the shark encounter, but we were told the sharks they had were nocturnal! Sure enough, they slept the whole time we were there.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

The skyride up to Paradise Point is really cool. I did that a few years ago with a couple girlfriends and we had a great time. You could always shop at Havensight before or after. And do they still have a butterfly aviary there? I wanted to see that but never made it. You'll be able to find plenty to keep you busy.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Thanks for the response Everyone! I am starting to feel better about spending the "extra" money at Coral World...that it will be worth it...just as long as the encounters are open! :wink:

Connie ~ Thanks! I am glad to hear that your daughter enjoyed the Sea Trek and Sea Lions! Wish we had a friend that worked there to get a discount! :) We are staying a Sapphire so will be snorkeling there for sure!

Gretchen3 ~ Magen's Bay is at the top of our list to visit...I hear it is STT's Beautiful Beach as Trunk Bay is on STJ. 8) A visit to the dairy for an ice-cream drink sounds yummy! Thanks for that tip!
We loved seeing and swimming near all the turtles when we visited STJ in 2010...I thought this up-close encounter would be awesome. So glad to hear it is!

Lindy ~ Thanks! We added the Skyride up to Paradise Point on our "must do" list. Think we will try to do this later in the day so the guys can join us and have dinner at the top while enjoying the view! I read the Butterfly Farm is now named the Butterfly Garden. We visited a butterfly garden last summer, so it will depend on if time allows, but I did really enjoy the one we went to! I love butterflys! :)

Thanks again Everyone! I appreciate the replies!

Not long now!!!
Jo
GracesMom

Post by GracesMom »

We went to Coral World last July and both of my kids loved it. I have an 11 year old son and a 13 year old daughter. They did both the sea lion encounter and the turtle encounter. I thought they would like the sea lion encounter the best, but the turtle was their favorite. Of course, my daughter loves anything to do with sea turtles.
I thought the encounters were well worth the money, but other than them, I wasn't overly impressed with Coral World, I thought it was very small. The underwater observatory is pretty cool, and like I said, the encounters made it worth it. How often do you get to play with sea lions and sea turtles?
I would make reservations ahead of time for the encounters, we almost didn't get to do the sea lion enounter because it was booked.
If your daughter likes turtles and snorkling, we took a snorkle trip with Fury Charters that takes you snorkling with all kinds of turtles. It was a great trip and well worth the money.
Have fun!
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Hey Jo,

Where did you find the June cruise ship schedule ? I've been looking for it but only got up thru May. We want to take the kids over to STT on a day that the "BIG" ones are in...let them see just how big they really are ...and hope to convince them to go on a cruise to Alaska next year.
Getting close now for both of us !! :D

Sherry
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

My husband did the trek years ago and found it to be very safe and fun. The divers showed the trekkers a lot of sea creatures. I was able to go down in the observatory and watch / photograph them through the windows. One thing - not sure if it is still the case. If you are doing the trek ask if the general admission is included in the trek price. It was when we were there. I think that there is also SNUBA at Coki now.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hello again Everyone!

GracesMom ~ Thanks, awesome to hear that your kids about my daughter's age enjoyed the encounters. I will call tomorrow to see about booking ours! I checked out Fury Charters and the snorkel trip to swim with turtles goes to Buck Island. We have 2 private day charters scheduled already. I will request to go there for part of a day. The kids, young & old :wink: will love it!!!

Hi Sherry aka philbetm ~ I sent you a pm. Yes very soon now! :D

Margy Z ~ Thanks! We definitely want to do the Sea Trek! It looks like they have a combined price for the Trek & Park admission. Yes, they do have SNUBA, but I don't think I am coordinated or confident enough to try that! :oops:

Thanks again Everyone ~ I sooo appreciate your advice!
Jo