Advice please regarding passports for children.

Travel discussion for St. John
54b

Advice please regarding passports for children.

Post by 54b »

We are taking our 7-year to STJ and wanted to know what was best to bring for him from an ID standpoint?

Is a birth certificate good enough or should we get the passport?

We were not planning on taking him to the BVIs.

Thank you in advance/
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Get him a passport no you don't need it but it is the best thing I ever did for my kids no hassles
Tom
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I agree with Waterguy. We got passports for our kids before we went to the Caymans (where they need them anyway). We now use them every time we travel. It makes everything so much easier! I'd recommend getting them unless you wouldn't use it again within the next 5 years. (Kids passports expire faster than ours!)
Image[/url]
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

"Ditto" - it cost a couple of bucks but makes it sweet and simple getting trough security, etc.
54b

Post by 54b »

Appreciate the advice, filling out the form now.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

54b,

Agreed....did the same for ours 14 & 11 at the time....but they can always say their first stamp in their passport was the BVIs at Great Harbor, Jost Van Dyke.
KT
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Get the passport. That way just in case you fall into a passing boat that happens to be going to the BVIs, you'll be all set.

Plus, less hassles at the airport can be a life saver when traveling with kids.
Tickerless :(
54b

Post by 54b »

KTinTX wrote:54b,

Agreed....did the same for ours 14 & 11 at the time....but they can always say their first stamp in their passport was the BVIs at Great Harbor, Jost Van Dyke.
Awesome. And won't that make for a great Show and Tell to kick 2nd grade off...look everyone, my parents took me to the island of ill repute.

Of course, knowing me, the teacher won't be surprised. Does Mic make a virgin pain killer?

BTW, for anyone else in my shoes, know that getting your kid a passport involves both parents joining the child in person to drop off the application. It's not one of those things you can just do online. In Dallas, it's not big deal, but I'm sure if you live in a small town, it's could require a drive.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

54b wrote: BTW, for anyone else in my shoes, know that getting your kid a passport involves both parents joining the child in person to drop off the application. It's not one of those things you can just do online. In Dallas, it's not big deal, but I'm sure if you live in a small town, it's could require a drive.
Yes, we ran into this when renewing our son's. We work together and still could not arrange our schedules in order for all three of us to go to a center together. You can get print off a form to be signed by the "absent" parent and get it notarized. I don't know if you can do this for the first time app.
CreativeName

Post by CreativeName »

We just took our son (5 years) and did not have a passport for him. I know I know, we ran out of time! Next time I will have one.

However, it was not a hassle at all. A security person in Miami asked him his name and checked it against his ticket. The customs agent on the way back asked to see his birth certificate. That was it. Also, we were picked twice for the full body scan, and then told never mind when they realized we were a family and just went through the metal detectors.

I'm sure experiences may vary, but having him with us seemed to make our trip easier.