Trip Report-5/2-5/9 Part 1

Travel discussion for St. John
CreativeName

Trip Report-5/2-5/9 Part 1

Post by CreativeName »

Kia Ora Villa in Chocolate Hole from 5/2-5/9.

We chose the Park Sleep and Fly option at the Marriot in Detroit the night before our flight. I find this to be super convenient and I recommend it if you have never tried it.

Travel Day.

Our flight was at 6:30 AM. Walking up to security still half asleep a security agent asked our son (5 years) if he was getting ready to fly. I thought we were going to have an issue already. My son said yes and the agent told him he had priority and walked us to the front of the line! It was awesome! The flight to Miami was not a problem.

The second leg of the journey was not as easy. We had a three hour layover, so we had some lunch at the airport, people watched, and waited for our flight to St. Thomas. Well, suddenly the gate agent for American let us know there was a problem with the cockpit electronics and we would know something when he know something. Long story short, we had a gate change, an hour or so delay and we got on a new plane headed for St. Thomas. We can still make the 5:00 ferry, no problem.

We did not make the 5:00 ferry. We were close, we were very close in fact. But, a car accident near the dock forced our taxi driver to turn around and take an alternate route. So, a couple of Island Hoppin IPA's at the ferry dock and we made the 6:00 ferry.

Also, not that it would ruin our trip but there were no rum samples to be found because it was raining quite a bit. Also, I missed that we didn't have the hot sun and humidity hit us full on like our first trip, I had been looking forward to that. However, we were here and that is what really matters.

We did the tour of our villa then we went in to town and picked up some groceries for the first few days. We then had dinner at Sogo's My wife and I had the special which was chicken roti with a curry sauce, it was good. My son had a hotdog and fries and he was happy. The servers (owners I think) were very kind and very nice to our son.

It was a very long travel day as we were up at 3:30 but well worth the trouble.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Well, at least you had time for beers prior to the ferry!

Was this your son's first trip to STJ?
CreativeName

Post by CreativeName »

It is and he has already stated "I wish we could live here". That's my boy. He is on wildlife overload.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

That is great. Our son is 6yo and he loves it too.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

We stayed at Kia Ora in November. Is the stray black cat still hanging around on the deck outside behind the grill? We named him Hootie and he LOVES hand outs (although that's against the rules in the villa book)and he will NOT let you pet him no matter how much you bribe him and sweet talk him. He does, however, appreciate compliments from afar. Also check for the geckos in the "garden" shower in the master bath!I hope their eyes have fully recovered after seeing me in my birthday suit. Hahahaha!!