The oddest things you have seen while in STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
PaminMaine

The oddest things you have seen while in STJ?

Post by PaminMaine »

We were having a lovely relaxing day at Hawksnest, chatting with the 4 people next to us. We went out to snorkel and came back to an invasion of a family of about 8 people, + kids very close to our chairs. Have any of you watched The Housewives of New Jersey, or Jerseylicous?? Well, we had our own live version! They were loud and argued the whole time..One baby wouldnt stop crying, and one the whole family was pissed. Another man parked his chair at the water line, lubed himself up in oil, including slicking his hair back with it. haha Loved his super thick gold chain! :lol: It sure didnt take us long to move a bit further down the beach when something opened up!
Was at Maho later in the week, and my hubby took a walk back to the rest room.. guess who he " heard".. they were still going strong.. thank goodness not near us!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I was going to say the No Snowmobiling sign on Chocolate Hole Rd or the Fork in the Road on Gift Hill....

Normally the kind of folks you describe are gone when the cruise ship excursions head back to the ship. One year we did see a couple that made us giggle. They looked like they could have been from where ever Borat would be from. She was very thin and pale, almost to the point of being anemic looking with obviously new breast implants that were way too large for her frame or the silver sequined bikini top that she was wearing. She walked up and down the beach showing them off for all to see.... followed by her equally pasty looking male partner wearing a fluorescent green speedo. As I recall we nicknamed them Boris and Natasha. Speedos are pretty hard for even well-built men to wear effectively but the sight of this pale, skinny dude with his "junk" bobbling around in his speedo as he trotted after her had us rolling in the sand.
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

On one trip we found an older guy trying to sleep on one of the trails in the campground at Cinnamon Bay. He had a few too many and couldn't find his tent and just gave up. We found his tent and walked him back. A couple days later we saw 2 surf boards in the road. A couple days after that we saw a large jar of pennies in the middle of the road. The pennies were in the road on the way to and back from Salt Pond, so for a good part of the day. Finding things in the road kind of became the theme of the trip. Oh and the first day of that trip we saw a guy in Cruz Bay in a full winter coat all zipped up with his hood on and his hands in his pockets, he looked cold too.
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

I am liking this thread! HAHAHAHAHAAHA!!! I will enjoy reading these stories! Lindy - that made me laugh out loud at 5:30 am in the morning!
Tami
Image[/url]
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Here's one I've posted before, but it definitely qualifies as odd -- a few years ago (July 2006 I think) we encountered two women dressed to the nines wandering Cruz Bay looking for some night life. Both were very loud and very drunk, they proceeded to tell their story to everyone within earshot - they were supposed to be at a timeshare in Aruba but it somehow fell through and they ended up at the Westin (I'm thinking "how lucky!"), now they're stuck on this island all dressed up with nowhere to go, blah blah blah... It wouldn't have been so bad had they not, in addition to complaining about St John, insulted everyone in the bar ("who on earth would ever come to this island on purpose???") and treated the wait staff rudely (Hey, can't you see that I need another drink? The service here certainly isn't like it is in New York!"). And as luck would have it, we had the pleasure of their company several more nights over the course of the week - same thing, complaints, bad behavior, and one night even a strip tease. By the end of the week, employees of different bars and restaurants were exchanging stories about them. It was truly embarrassing. The good news is that we can be reasonably sure they will never be back.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

A couple of years ago, we went to Caneel for the Monday night seafood buffet. Mid-February and it was very crowded.

As we were waiting for grilled lobsters, a group comprised of one young lady (long gown, tons of gold, very made-up)and two or three young men came up and physically pushed people out of the way to get to the grill. I don't mean wiggling their way to the front of the line, they pushed people. They were also yelling very loudly at each other in their native language.

But what really made it memorable was all the guys were dressed in very heavy clothing - thick black sweatshirts with hoods, black jeans, big boots - and had fantastically long fingernails, like inches long. They looked like crawls.

It was quite the spectacle. Everyone just stopped and stared at them.
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

A number of years ago at Maho a couple entered the water in front of where we were sitting and she proceeded to cut his hair!

Three times at Maho we have gone back to our jeep and found an egg on the floor mat!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I will never forget the time that I was getting into my jeep at Shipwreck Landing and another tourist jeep pulled up next to ours. I looked over and noticed that they had a tree sticking out of the back of their jeep. An entire tree! It seriously was extended about 12 feet behind their car. It looked like the top of the tree had somehow gotten entangled in the spare tire cover and/or the back hatch lid and the whole tree had gotten uprooted. I got out of the jeep and mentioned that they had a tree stuck to the back of their car, and the driver just gave me a dirty look and walked into the restaurant.

This is maybe more cool than odd, but one time while driving in the East End John and I encountered a mongoose battling an iguana in the middle of the road! They were hissing and charging at each other. Of course the approach of our jeep quickly ended the fight.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Chet

Post by Chet »

The first time we encountered a bull and cows and a pig in the road I thought "how odd". This was followed by donkeys and goats in the road. Now we know it's normal.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Kim

Post by Kim »

Last summer we saw one of the more eclectic homeless get into the water in front of the Beach Bar fully clothed as he proceeded to jump around in the water almost like a crazy fish or dolphin on crack. It didn't really phase my husband and I, but some of our first-timer guests we are bit stunned.
Apparently this same man can hold his breath for a while too. Another member of our group saw him in the water when getting off the ferry and told us he thought he saw a dead body in the water. Nope, just him going for a face down float....
54b

Post by 54b »

Out with Captain John on a BVI charter and we went to the Willy T (floating restaurant boat anchored off Norman island) for lunch...it was about 11am sitting at the bar, pretty quiet by Willy T standards.

Out of no where, a fairly attractive older woman pointed to something in a book on the bar and said, "I want to do this."

Next thing we know, she's naked lying on the bar as the bartender proceeds to cover her "lady parts" with whip cream and cherries and then, fills her belly button up with a shot of some kind of liquor.

Next the lady's boyfriend went to town consuming the flesh buffet.

Very little that happens on the Willy T passes for typical in the realm of daily goings on, so perhaps that really wasn't odd and more par for the course, but at 11am, it certainly got our attention.

The best part was afterward...I turned to my wife and smiled. She looked back and said, "no, you're on a diet."
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Beth Cruz - What kind of eggs? Was it the same car or different cars, different years? That has me absolutely fascinated!! Makes you wonder what kind of "critters" are hiding in those rental cars!! When I was a kid they used to sell the little geckos like the ones on STJ at fairs and carnivals. They had a length of colored string around their neck and a safety pin at the other end so that you could pin them to your shoulder. (Now I'm sure PETA would have a hey day with THAT!!) One year my gecko laid an egg much to my surprise - it was white and about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long - pretty darned impressive for a creature that small wouldn't you say?
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

A man in a coconut bra dancing in St John Spice.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

I was only lurking this morning but had to log in to reply on this thread.

It's probably not the strangest thing ever, but I thought this was odd:

When we were staying at Grande Bay 2 weeks ago I was hanging out at the pool area and watching a local walk along the little beach out front by the road. He was wearing only a pair of swimtrunks. He walked along the beach until he came the the trees (right by where the little cemetary property starts). He was poking around at something in the trees. He gave up with that and climbed up over the retaining wall and continued to walk up the hill toward Gallows. A few minutes later I see him coming back from that direction carrying a 12' ladder on his shoulder! He carried it a little ways toward town and then put it over the retaining wall in the long grass by the kayaks that are stored along there. Later on that day when we were walking into town I pointed the ladder out to my husband and told him how I had watched the guy put it there. The next morning we were walking along there again and the ladder was gone. Maybe he had put it there in order to remove it under the cover of darkness that night. :shock:

Oh, and we also had one of those couples on the nearly secluded beach decide that the best spot on the beach was directly in front of us between our blankets and the water. :x Yep, we moved.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Those eggs in the car are actually pretty normal anywhere there are chickens and open car windows. Hens seek out protected, slightly elevated spots, and it probably doesn't hurt if the floorboards are warm. (The eggs would have been delicious, if you cooked them.) The NPS has been successfully trapping the feral chickens that were getting increasingly common in recent years, so this may not happen quite so much anymore.