Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach,or Ocean City Maryland?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mahojim

Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach,or Ocean City Maryland?

Post by mahojim »

Well,between a recent surgery & me buying a new Jeep,looks like we're not going to STJ 'til next year.
Sucks...However-
We have a free timeshare option for a week in either August or September,and I have to ask for your help fast,as they're disappearing quickly!
Would love something near a beach, can't wait to grab a fishing charter,and a decent mellow nightlife bar situation.
So? OBX,OCMD,or MB?
Thanks,and always-
Smiles-
MJ
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Jimmy, I'd do some research on Myrtle Beach. We honeymooned there and found all sorts of fun stuff to do. One thing is that the attractions are going to be pretty spread out. If you're going to be drinking, you'll need taxis and they can add up quickly
You may be able to find a part of the strand that has a couple of local places within walking distance, and that'd be perfect.
It's a fun place :)
Enjoy those
`Smiles`
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Where in NC? What beach, specifically? We avoid the Outer Banks proper to avoid all you Yankee Summbitches (7 years out of NJ allows me to say such things) and head a little farther south to Emerald Isle.

But, Myrtle is Myrtle. It be what it be and it be tacky as hell. At the right time, there's nothing wrong with that.
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Outer Banks hands down. Ocean City is extremely crowded (and commercial). The water and beach at Outer Banks are nicer. Haven't been to Myrtle Beach, but if you are a golfer, that's a great area. For pure beach experience, I don't think you could beat Outer Banks. Have fun!
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Jimmy,
I vote for OBX. We like the Whalehead/ Corolla area. Nice beach and more laid back than Ocean City MD but still some Bars/restaurants, fishing and shopping if you want. Good Luck
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Looks like I'll be having an OBX bumper sticker on the new Jeep soon...keep the suggestions coming please!
Thanks,and always-
Smiles-
MJ
Jimm

Post by Jimm »

I've been going to OBX every year since 1995. Can't go wrong with OBX IMO.
You can find tons of fishing charters in OBX. Mellow nightlife bar situation is about as crazy as it gets in an OBX bar, mellow being the key word.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I say Outter Banks as well...While Myrtle is ok...its very commercialized...and to be honest...I wont even get in the water..(it just looks dirty to me)..my son told me the nickname was the Redneck Riviera...lol However there is lots to do..and you definetly wont be bored.Lots of shows and restaurants.. Millions of people go and enjoy it every year...and we go for a weekend every now and then just to get away and its close (abt 2 hrs)....but I still dont get in the water :lol: .. given the choice...I'd go to OBX
[/url]
leslieeliz

Post by leslieeliz »

Definitely Outer Banks. I've been all over, having grown up along the coast. Ocracoke is the STJ of the Outer Banks....without the gorgeous water. But please don't go there. I'd like to keep it non-crowded :)
leslieeliz

Post by leslieeliz »

to clarify, i should have said 'without the clear water.' the water in ocracoke is gorgeous.
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

pipanale wrote:Where in NC? What beach, specifically? We avoid the Outer Banks proper to avoid all you Yankee Summbitches (7 years out of NJ allows me to say such things) and head a little farther south to Emerald Isle.

But, Myrtle is Myrtle. It be what it be and it be tacky as hell. At the right time, there's nothing wrong with that.
I had to laugh at this, BUT. Pip, what the heck are you doing telling the folks about EI? The OBX is just a perfect place for tourists! It really is! Tons of other people that love to be loud, and act like...well, tourists.

MahoJim, enjoy your trip! The OBX is no Maho or Love City, but it sure beats MYR and MD. The water is a bit cooler than I can stand, even in the heat of July/August. My words to Pip were meant to be tongue and cheek. EI is a special place on the coast of NC, and one that should be checked out.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

mahojim wrote:Looks like I'll be having an OBX bumper sticker on the new Jeep soon...keep the suggestions coming please!
Thanks,and always-
Smiles-
MJ
In OBX you can drive your jeep into this car wash style building and they will load beer right into your jeep
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

August over September.
leslieeliz

Post by leslieeliz »

That's true. Emerald Isle is nice. I spend a week there every summer. But I think it's a tad more crowded than some other places in the outer banks like Duck or Corolla.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Be sure to buy trip insurance!!!!!!!!!!

We went to Topsail, NC last August and hurricane Irene hit. We had to evacuate and stay in a hotel inland (our whole family of six). Thank God for the trip insurance; we basically paid for two complete vacations but got reimbursed for all of our losses.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.