Anyone fly out of Newark, NJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
lovest.john

Anyone fly out of Newark, NJ?

Post by lovest.john »

Looking for airfare this summer. Nonstop from Newark is $712 right now. JFK is $328. We are only 15 minutes from Newark so I would rather fly from there. Has anyone ever had fares from Newark equal to or less than JFK? Or am I stuck flying from JFK?
pipergal

Post by pipergal »

Flying out of JFK is not so bad, just as long as you have an A.M. flight, all the cars are headed west and you will be headed east. I fly from Newark all the time, but for that big a price difference a car service yo JFK doesn't seem so bad. If is Jet Blue out of JFK I highly doubt you will see the CO/United fares touch them. Have you checked the Philly fares? Sometimes I fly to STT from Philly, but I am 45 mins south of Newark.
Good Luck!
Pipergal
GoldenDaze

Post by GoldenDaze »

We are also in NJ and have done the JFK run when CO has crazy prices. AA often beats CO by a significant amount that we drive to JFK the night before and stay at the Days Inn then park at Avistar in the morning and take their shuttle to the terminal.
When we get the good deals out of Newark we grab them as we prefer EWR over JFK but sometimes it just doesn't pay.

Once you get to STJ you'll forget all about it :)
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

We always fly out of Newark to St. Thomas using Continental. For some reason the airfare prices right now are very $$$$. I just booked tickets for our October trip and it was $509 a ticket and I usually pay around $435. I think with the United merge they're not letting up too much with the prices.

Hopefully in a few weeks they will lower them a bit. I usually try to check the airfare on a Tuesday or a Wednesday when the rates tend to change. Hopefully they'll go back down. Good luck!
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Hi - We flew out of Newark last July and were lucky to get good rates before the prices went up. I know we payed in the 350.00 range. For your difference right now I would travel to JFK as that is a big difference unless you can wait to see if the prices drop. We flew Continental on a non-stop flight.
rImage
jmq

Post by jmq »

The extra motivator for us to go out to JFK and deal with that wild card of a drive was that it was on that morning non-stop that AA ran.
If it left on time, it got you into STT really early, in time for a nice lunch at Glady’s in STT before hopping on an early afternoon ferry over to STJ.
Does AA still run that non-stop out of JFK?
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
lindaveh

flights from Newark

Post by lindaveh »

I have been reading this forum for a few years, and I finally had to register when I saw this post yesterday.

I booked flights from Newark YESTERDAY for $363 rt per person on AA for travel at the end of October. Good luck!

~Linda
Linda
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

jmq wrote:Does AA still run that non-stop out of JFK?
JMQ: Its still running. My daughter's taking it down to stay w/ us in June. Fare was about $435 w/ taxes. But now it doesn't arrive in STT til around 130pm.

We usually fly to STT out out of EWR, as its the most convenient, w/ the Continental non-stop. Reasonably-priced parking also available nearby. Our fare for June was $385 w/t, but that increased substantially since we booked last Fall. Initially, we were scheduled to arrive at 1130am (giving us enough time to take the Noon downtown ferry), but its been rescheduled to 130pm. Sigh!
lovest.john

Post by lovest.john »

jmq - AA still runs that flight; 7 days/week during my time frame (Aug.)

Linda- I am looking at nonstop flights. I assume you are taking the AA early morning out and mid-afternoon return. Those flights (with one stop) will cost me more than twice as much as flying nonstop out of JFK. Cost is a major consideration for us.

So I guess it's AA out of JFK for us.
larlardb8

Post by larlardb8 »

We have been looking at those AA flights out of JFK as well. We usually fly from either Philly or the Continental non-stop out of Newark but they are twice the price right now and no non-stops on the days we are thinking about going. Quite a hike from here in Bethlehem, PA to JFK but may be worth it for $335 round trip in July.
Good luck and have a great trip!
jmq

Post by jmq »

We’ve taken that JFK flight a few times. The equipment they used on that route always looked older than dirt, with those older bulky TV screens every few aisles etc. Indeed the last time we took it 2+ yrs ago we were delayed for mechanical reasons (no surprise) mitigating some of the benefit of shlepping out there. Hope they are using newer planes these days for that flight.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

We have flown out of Philly, Atlantic City,Newark and JFK. The last 2-3 yrs we have gone out of JFK for the price. It's a longer drive but a direct flight and gets to STT early enough that you can check in and get some beach time. For us in South Jersey, Philly (US Air) has always been priced much higher, Spirit out of AC stops in FLL and you pretty much lose your whole 1st day traveling. As for Newark, we flew Continental direct, arrived around 2pm, the flight was good but getting through security was the worst.
Good Luck
Mar

Post by Mar »

GoldenDaze wrote:We are also in NJ and have done the JFK run when CO has crazy prices. AA often beats CO by a significant amount that we drive to JFK the night before and stay at the Days Inn then park at Avistar in the morning and take their shuttle to the terminal.
When we get the good deals out of Newark we grab them as we prefer EWR over JFK but sometimes it just doesn't pay.

Once you get to STJ you'll forget all about it :)

Hi GoldenDaze: Do you remember what the daily rate is at Avistar? Where is located? and did you make a reservation ahead of time to park there? Thanks for any help