Fabulous meal at Gastro Grub

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Post by Pia »

OK, all of this talk about the "other" restaurant (lol) made me want to post about lunch today at Gastro Grub. I have not been since it was Black Sands Bistro and OMG - it was unbelievable - I will be back at least once per week for lunch after work and if ever we finish this remodel we will be in for dinner (Cruz Bay is just too far to drive after a day of construction for hubby :) )

If you are visiting it is a "must go to" for lunch and dinner - hopefully dinner will be as fabulous :)

Pia

edit to read Black Sands Bistro not La Plancha - Black Sands Bistro was owned by the same owners of La Plancha
Last edited by Pia on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hi Pia!

When did the change from La Plancha to Gastro Grub occur? We were just there less than a month ago and went to La Plancha. (If thats the one at Mongoose directly over the Bougainvilla Shop)
We found it to be just 'ok'. Not nearly as good as last trip.

~dan
shoemak38

Re: Fabulous meal at Gastro Grub

Post by shoemak38 »

Pia wrote:...- I will be back at least once per week for lunch after work and if ever we finish this remodel we will be in for dinner (Cruz Bay is just too far to drive after a day of construction for hubby :) )

Pia
[/color]

Wait a minute you get to have a wonderful lunch while hubby is doing all that marvelous construction. The least you can do is bring him home a doggy bag

by the way my wife and I both love the tile you chose for the showers.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi Dan - I was having a moment sorry for the confusion. La Plancha is still there in Mongoose Junction. Gastro Grub is in the old Black Sands Bistro location at the Marketplace. Black Sands Bistro and La Plancha were the same owners causing my "moment" by calling Black Sands La Plancha.........oops :)

Pia
vav

Post by vav »

We ate at the Gastro Grub in November, it was great! The meatloaf wellington was a great twist on an old classic.
Sawed that board three times and it is still too short...
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Another vote for Gastro Grub. My husband loved the beef Wellington also. The owner, Alan is super nice. This place is off the beaten path so don't forget about it.

We also tried Island Blues. The food was a pleasant surprise. We had a spicy Edamame, Thai wings and a soft noodle dish. All were great!

We're still on island and loving every minute of it. :)
NancyB
Rachelle & Joe

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

Wow ,liking the reviews so far ! Will defintely check it out . Hi Nancy, Lucky you on island !your seeing BLU & we R seeing WHITE!!!UGH! will ya be there in the spring ? we are going a lil later than usual in May hopefully our paths will cross :) May you have a Funtastic rest of trip !!!! ~Happy 2012~
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

So where is it again? Thanks!
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Upstairs at the Marketplace (above Starfish market) We went opening weekend in September and absolutely loved it! The mac and cheese is amazing and the meatloaf wellington! YUM!

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Pia

Post by Pia »

Had lunch there again today - amazing. I can't believe it took me this long to go there :)

Pia
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Hi Pia!

I like the look of the menu. Is it ok to post it here? What have you sampled? Love "Some kind of fish" special!

I'm also looking forward to La Plancha in the old Paradiso site. I always loved that space.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thanks Pia for the recommendation.

We ate here tonight and enjoyed it very much. My husband loved the meatloaf wellington. I must admit I stole a few bites. I had the fish special of red snapper blt with mango sause. I liked the fish but the sauce was just ok.

We had the prezel appetizer and enjoyed the dipping sauces.

We sat at the bar and enjoyed talking to the owner.

Had some great drinks the people around us had dirty pickle martini and raved about them.

We were to full for dessert but the fluffer nutella looked yummy!

It is still cash only.

I
kirk

Post by kirk »

Word on the street is that they will be closing thier doors shortly. Happy Fish also is shutting down this week.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Alan confirmed that rumor on FB a few minutes ago. Such a shame that talented locals can;t afford rent, etc to be able to have a successful business.
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

I am so bummed! I was really looking forward to trying both Happy Fish and Gastro Grub in February. We were there last January and I don't think either of these restraunts were open then. Such a shame they will be closed at high season. Did I say I'm bummed?