Villa Help!

Travel discussion for St. John
JohnThomas

Villa Help!

Post by JohnThomas »

Hi!

Just want to start off by saying what a great forum this is! Have always utilized it prior to going to St. John and want to thank everyone for the great info!!!!

I have searched and reviewed many villas but need a little help with this trip:

1)Traveling sometime in June (flexible within the month of June but prefer early June).

2) Traveling with my husband, daughter and her boyfriend (early 20's) and the newest addition to our family John Thomas (naturally named after our favorite islands :) -who will be 9 months by then)

3) My husband and I have stayed in various locations. But with the daughter and boyfriend who have never been, we are looking for a villa with easy access to the taxis. (I don't think we can keep up with their pace with the little one)so I think it's only fair to provide them with easy access to the taxis (we will have a rental car).

4) Also, it being their first time, would love a tropical villa (wow factor), with a pool, and possibly a view of St. Thomas (love the twinkle lights at night)Two bedroom is fine, as I would want the baby close to me.

5) Budget- Would love Bongo Bongo but not in our price range. Have looked at Villa Splash online, someone recommended Villa Haiku, and also looked at Limin' Time online...not sure...not looking to spend more than 3500. for 10 days. Not sure if that's possible

6)House does not have to be brand new or lavish, just want that tropical feel with a view- flexible on most things but would like a pool as my husband and I most likely will spend a great deal of time their with the baby and really need to be near the taxis.

7) All in all- would love for the kids to always remember their first trip to St. John and just say, "wow" and enjoy the villa!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Maybe Star Villa? It's one of the of Star Villas. If you have any questions about it, let me know. LOVE the name John Thomas by the way. Congrats!
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

After reading your needs, Cloud Nine on Gifft Hill comes to mind:
http://cloud9villas.com/cloud-nine
8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
JohnThomas

Post by JohnThomas »

Ksea,

Hi! Thank you for the info. I have added Star Villa to the list. I was wondering how the view was from the villa. The website didn't have a pic of the view. Looks like a great place.

MsgColleen- Hi! Thank you as well for the suggestion. It seems that villa sounds familiar. I remember it from a few posts here and there. All the reviews really sound positive. Is it possible to get a taxi from that location?
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We will be staying at Blue Tang in 20 days. We have never been there before but it matches your description. Two bedroom, pool, tropical, and view of St. Thomas.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I haven't stayed there but perhaps one of the condos at Lavender Hill might be a good possibility for you.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

The view from Star is not fantastic. You see Frank Bay, and you can see STT off in the distance. It is not high on a hill. It is however within walking distance to Cruz Bay and the taxis. We loved the private pool and the screened porch. The a/c works very well in the bedrooms and both bedrooms have doors leading out to the deck / pool. The kitchen is on the small side, but it worked just fine for the 3 of us. There are plenty of towels and coolers to use. The beach chairs were broken, but they have probably been replaced by now.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I would check out Splendore; by far our favorite villa on STJ. Beautiful pool with waterfall, hot tub, lovely views (you can see the twinkling lights of STT), two equal and nice bedrooms all on one level, convenient location close to Cruz Bay.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
JohnThomas

Post by JohnThomas »

Hoosierdaddy- Blue Tang looks great! But I did notice at the end of the description that it stated- No Children 8months-8yrs. :( But I will look forward to hearing all about your trip! Enjoy!!!!! :)

Diana2- Thanks for the suggestion. We are looking for a house though with a private pool. My daughter is in the loop of making the final decision and if you have kids you know how that goes! :) I'm sure she would like to stay at one of the Peter Bay Estates. Every now and again I have to show her the cost of that for a week and show her the balance in my bank account. She eventually gets it...lol!

Ksea- Thanks for getting back to me about the view. I have to say it does look like a cute place. Cozy, with a nice pool. It's on our list for final choices and it really meets most of what we're looking for. My husband and I are really easy to please. We have stayed at Maho (loved it!!!) rental homes, etc. To us anywhere on St. John is truly beautiful. I am putting a little more effort into this trip because we have first time visitors and the baby. We have different things to consider this time so we will just have to sit down and figure out what is going to work! :)

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)- Thank you for your valuable input! I have read many posts you have written. Villa Splendore looks absolutely beautiful. In fact when I showed my daughter she said that's the one I want!!!! I told her we have to look at all the options and what we can afford. Do you have any additional pictures of the house? (other than what they have on the rental site) That would be great if you do! In the past my husband and I would snorkel about ten hours a day and where we stayed really didn't matter. We were just happy to be on St. John. Now where we will be at the house quite a bit more and we really want something we can all enjoy! Do you happen to know if there is taxi availability nearby?

Thank you all for your input!!!!! You are all so helpful!!!!!

So far this is what we are & have considered (as long as they are available)

Over The Rainbow
Bayhouse
Fun And Contentment
Limin' Time
Cloud Nine
Splendore
Villa Splash
Star Villa
Villa Haiku
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

JohnThomas wrote: Marcia (Mrs. Pete)- Thank you for your valuable input! I have read many posts you have written. Villa Splendore looks absolutely beautiful. In fact when I showed my daughter she said that's the one I want!!!! I told her we have to look at all the options and what we can afford. Do you have any additional pictures of the house? (other than what they have on the rental site) That would be great if you do! In the past my husband and I would snorkel about ten hours a day and where we stayed really didn't matter. We were just happy to be on St. John. Now where we will be at the house quite a bit more and we really want something we can all enjoy! Do you happen to know if there is taxi availability nearby?
I don't think I have any pictures that show anything new...I'll check though, and if I do, I'll PM you. The pictures on the website are very accurate, it's a stunning villa. We are very picky when it comes time to choose a villa because we spend most of our time at it. Privacy, full sun on the pool and around the pool but with a shady place outside to read when we are done with the sun, a covered area for meals outside and to sit when it's raining, good kitchen, clean and well maintained, etc...Splendore has all of that.

We never took a taxi there but I'm 99% sure that they do go there, it's in the neighborhood (Maria Bluff) just past the Westin.

If you are interested in this villa, you might want to talk to the agency soon. It does book quickly.

Let me know if you have any other questions. (Standing in the pool, with the waterfall flowing over you, is amazing. Just sayin') ;)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I second Marcia, Splendore is a fantastic villa. We stayed there in 2007 so my info may be dated. (Maybe I need a return trip to keep recommending it!)

It remains (by far) the best outfitted and maintained villa we have rented in nearly 20 years of travelling. The manager told me that the owners spend a lot of time there and that they are super particular about keeping the place maintained. (Like Marcia, I am super picky.)

Our son was 18 months at the time and my mom and her husband travelled with us. The layout of two large master suite at either end of the house was perfect. The bedrooms are large enough that you will be able to comfortably fit a crib into a bedroom.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

If you are going to be relying on taxis to get around/get the kids around, you need to knock the Coral Bay villas off your list. Taxis generally won't go out there. Definitely not to Fun and Contentment, which is on a bad road.

In my opinion, your best bet would be to concentrate on the homes that are in neighborhoods near the Westin. So Great Cruz Bay, Maria Bluff, lower Chocolate Hole. The roads are paved and the taxis will go there. Plus if you pick a house close enough the kids can walk to the Westin and get a taxi there.

For 10 days, you are going to be pushing your budget in those neighborhoods, but sometimes you can negotiate. Splendore is on Maria Bluff. If you can snag it for your dates you should take it. Great house, great location. (Splendore is not walkable to the Westin FYI).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
JohnThomas

Post by JohnThomas »

Marcia- Thanks! I just was curious about the view of St. Thomas at night. On the website I didn't notice any night pics of that. Other than that the pics on the website were great! :)Pool with a waterfall...sounds good to me too!!!!! :)Another plus is that I have never stayed on that side of the island.

PA Girl- Thank you for the input! Nice to know there is plenty of room for the baby! I am starting to get excited with all this positive feedback! Is there a particular rental agent I should call? I did note the house is listed under a few rental companies. Fingers crossed it is not already completely booked for June!

liamsaunt- Thank you too! Yes...we started looking in Coral Bay and will still consider it as a backup if we can't get what we want on the other side of the island. We will have a rental car but my daughter and her boyfriend are too young to rent one. Where they are new to the island I wouldn't feel comfortable with them driving anyways. I really don't mind driving them place to place but I don't want to subject the baby to that nor the island :)You know how it is when you feel responsible for entertaining your guests! ;) My daughter has a tendency to say, "I'm bored, let's go here, let's go there." So...yes...a taxi at least nearby will help tremendously!!!!!
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Perelandra may be a good option for you. It has new owners and they have done some upgrades. It is on VRBO. It has a nice pool and views of St. thomas that you are looking for.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

JohnThomas wrote:Marcia- Thanks! I just was curious about the view of St. Thomas at night. On the website I didn't notice any night pics of that. Other than that the pics on the website were great! :)Pool with a waterfall...sounds good to me too!!!!! :)Another plus is that I have never stayed on that side of the island.
I know I don't have any night time pictures from the villa but, rest assured, you can see the twinkling lights of STT from Splendore.

As another aside: you will be able to have your baby near you, even if you are lounging by the pool. The outdoor dining area is covered (shady) and close OR, if you take the bedroom closest to the hot tub/pool side, you can keep baby in your room (crib) for naps with the doors open.

We booked this villa through Vacation Vistas.

http://www.vacationvistas.com/Villas/sp ... _john.html
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)