another closed business

Travel discussion for St. John
Exit Zero

another closed business

Post by Exit Zero »

Larry's Landing had its last day Sat. - I realize this hasn't really been a Forum favorite, but since 1989 it was a STJ spot to visit for many of us here, - on-stjohn.com has a nice report - it seems indicative of the changing demographics in St John over the last few years and another sign of the economic struggle that long time local business owners deal with as the island attracts a changing clientele.
PA Girl

Re: another closed business

Post by PA Girl »

Exit Zero wrote: it seems indicative of the changing demographics in St John over the last few years and another sign of the economic struggle that long time local business owners deal with as the island attracts a changing clientele.
How so?

I would think establishments at the lower end of the price range would be holding up better than the more expensive places.

I don't put this question out there to be difficult, I am actually curious.

With all the posts about seeking villa discounts, lower airfares and such, it seems like the economy is impacting STJ visitors in a way that would point them towards the less spendy food and drink options.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I was very much a fan of Larry's Landing. They had some great live music, and we had some fun nights there. Maybe the "pour your own" strategy didn't pay----better to "water it down" as other bars do:) Anyway, I am very sorry to hear it is closed.
---Jim
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I wish Wally and Mo the best of luck in whatever comes their way next.
I loved Larry's. Loved it back in the old days in Wharfside with Connie and Newfy James ( at least I think I remember him there) tending bar.

I didn't love it as much when it moved but I still went to support Wally and Mo.

Makes me a little sad.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The 'pour your own' scenario probably wasn't a reason for much concern financially - more likely the new preference for mojitos, painkillers, bushwhackers, pina coladas, flavored rums and other designer martinis. The Cruzan and Coke, Mt. Gay soda, vodka tonic drinkers always appreciated the old style Poor Man's philosophy - it worked fine at the Boatyard in STT and Larry's outpost in STJ - but those days and those drinkers have been replaced by a different cocktail crowd - sophisticated cognoscenti with a different agenda. It isn't unique to the VI but it was a lot longer in arriving here and seems to just come with the territory as times change.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Exit Zero wrote:The 'pour your own' scenario probably wasn't a reason for much concern financially - more likely the new preference for mojitos, painkillers, bushwhackers, pina coladas, flavored rums and other designer martinis. The Cruzan and Coke, Mt. Gay soda, vodka tonic drinkers always appreciated the old style Poor Man's philosophy - it worked fine at the Boatyard in STT and Larry's outpost in STJ - but those days and those drinkers have been replaced by a different cocktail crowd - sophisticated cognoscenti with a different agenda. It isn't unique to the VI but it was a lot longer in arriving here and seems to just come with the territory as times change.
Totally agree with you...different crowd...as one who remembers the Boatyard in STT and made the vaca move to STJ...it ain't the same.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

Well as 'Cruzan and Coke' drinkers and longtime fans of Larry's Landing, we will miss it! Fond memories of many nights sitting in the back listening to good music, playing pool, pouring our own drinks. Good times!
[/url]