DELETED

Travel discussion for St. John
DELETED

The Sushi Place

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

haven't been but I think it's Happy Fish in the Starfish building.
cat

Post by cat »

We got a tuna from one of the fishing boats and made our own sashimi while we were there the last visit! It was so fresh!!!!!
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

Most sushi places serve fish that has been flash frozen to sub-zero temperatures to kill any parasites, so location really isn't a big deal as long as the shipments stay frozen.

It is Happy Fish and it is on the second floor of the Marketplace. I didn't try it since I would have been dining alone, but the menu looked good and prices weren't that much higher than I would pay at some of the sushi places in downtown Chicago.
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Just wanted to say thanks for bringing this up... we go to sushi every other week here and I was hoping there would be a place in STJ.

Any more reviews?? Is it good or just "eh?"
Betty

Post by Betty »

The sushi was very fresh and the rolls were excellent and imaginative cooked and uncooked fish available!
The garden salad with ginger dressing was good.
The night we went Woodys was having their company dinner there and it was fun!
They have a great Martini Menu for all of us that like to indulge :wink:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

I may as well just sign over my paycheck to Happy Fish...I eat lunch there way too often. I am a sushi lover and have eaten sushi at many different restaurants in the states, and I have to say Happy Fish is the best sushi I've ever had. They do import their fish (from Boston, I believe). I've never had anything but an excellent meal there. I can't say enough good things about it.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

We were there last July; just happened upon it while out and about and decided to stop in for a snack and ended up staying for dinner - it was that good.

Here's an excerpt from my trip report about our experience there:

We poked around the Market Place shopping center to see what had changed since last trip. Upstairs is the Happy Fish sushi restaurant which opens at 5:00 - well, sort of; island time ya know. We waited for the doors to open (~5:10), and went in for an appetizer. The sushi was excellent - as good as any I've had here at home - and prices were surprisingly reasonable, so the appetizer turned into our anniversary dinner. As it turns out, much of the sushi-grade fish they serve comes from Boston - guess that explains it. If you have a yen for sushi (sorry, couldn't resist the pun), I heartily recommend Happy Fish.
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

The good and the bad...for me at least.

We ate at Happy fish our last visit and the food was great!....BUT they were showing Karate movies on the big screen and playing pretty loud Hip Hop music when we were there. Now I'm not a prude but I'm not a fan of either of those genres so it was a big turn off for us.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

You can also sit outside (we did) - they have about 10 (give or take) tables on a decently sized balcony. The view over the parking lot isn't the greatest, but was our preference over sitting inside. I vaguely remember some type of music inside, but only heard it while walking back through on our way out.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I always go at least once a trip and its always been great
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

ccasebolt wrote:You can also sit outside (we did) - they have about 10 (give or take) tables on a decently sized balcony.
Rats I didn't see the balcony, That would have been my choice. Well maybe we'll get back some day.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:42 pm.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.