So many of the people on this forum seem obsessed with booze

Travel discussion for St. John
Melanie

So many of the people on this forum seem obsessed with booze

Post by Melanie »

Longtime lurker & lover of this forum.

Is it my imagination, or are so many of you on here obsessed with booze? It seems to be so many people's most exciting thing to bring, buy, prepare for and talk about on this forum.

I just find it odd that so many talk about how wonderful and serene St. John is and how wonderful it feels to be on island then find it so important and possibly necessary to be with drink in hand to appreciate it.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not a anti drinking. And I certainly don't want to come off judgemental or offend anyone, but I find it pretty sad. I find so much of the talk here to be very similar to college kids' talk regarding drinking.

Thanks for listening to my hopefully non-offensive observation.

Mel
swoop

Post by swoop »

So I read your post, and then objectively scanned down the subject lines of Page 1 to see how many references there are to booze......and I found 1...someone looking for a drink recipe...hardly obsessive. :?

I'm sure someone will have an answer to any questions you may have regarding STJ. I've found this forum to be extremely informative in the short time I've been here. :D

Relax, grab a Painkiller and stick around, you won't regret it! :P
Mark

Post by Mark »

Could it be because its so cheap and the social atmosphere? You know the old saying when in Rome.Or for Anthony when in Florence.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Could it be because its so cheap and the social atmosphere? You know the old saying when in Rome.Or for Anthony when in Florence.
JT

Post by JT »

Gee, Mel, let me drink, I mean think on that one.
Enjoying libations is definitely a part of the STJ experience for many of us. Why? I can only answer for myself. Personally, I love a cold beer and beer seems to taste better to me in Coral Bay then anywhere else in the whole world! My wife says the same thing about the rum. I really enjoy the comradarie in the bars there. When on vacation many of us throw the daily rulebook out the window.
Now, I'm sorry if we make you sad. I kind of understand your concerns. Too much boozing is never a good thing. As to the reference of college kids' talk, I would tell you many of us on this forum are very young at heart, and we are pretty kid-like in many other ways, too.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Nah - I think maybe folks here are just having lotsa fun talking about drinks and drinking. Not everybody is walking around STJ totally sloshed all the time like some adult version of spring break.

I would liken enjoying St. John with a drink in hand to enjoying a fine meal with a great bottle of wine. Do you need the wine to enjoy the food? No. Does the wine complement the food well and therefore enhance the overall dining experience? Yes. Similar thing for me and I suspect for others here re their fav island drinks and their fav island.
JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I can only think of one time in all my times on STJ that i was drunk. Do like to have a cocktail yes do I drink more then I do at home yes. But I'm on vac. don't have to worry about when the phone will ring or what problem I'll have to take care of.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I think many of us just have pretty high stress lives/jobs and are pretty responsible people in real life. Not to say that we are irresponsible when in STJ, but the appeal of STJ is the ability to loosen up and leave that all behind for a little while.

I tend to drink slightly more there than at home, just because I tend to linger in STJ more than I do at home. I don't take time to sit and have a glass of water half the time at home, much less enjoy a glass or wine or a cold one. I can only remember one instance in all my trips that I was way beyond sober (thank you Miss Lucy's pain killers) but still I was surrounded by responsible people who I knew would get me back to the villa and safely tucked in bed.

Its hard to get in too much trouble there when I can barely keep my eyes open past 9pm :)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Welcome to the forum, Melanie.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

I can't speak for every newbie but as for me, I do not share your impression at all. Maybe it's because I've been to other islands, maybe it's because I already knew what Cruzan was or maybe I'm just Pollyanna but I think drink talk (even when referenced in other threads) is a small percentage of what goes on around here. There are more threads on shoes recently, I believe.

What perplexes me is that this topic was breached in a week when so many people have found support, comaradarie and humor on this forum when many other parts of life seem so very confusing.

Like I said, I can only speak for me but I've been nothing but impressed by the way people here welcome and embrace everyone, regarless of age, experience or opinion and that, I don't find sad at all.

I hope you stick around a little and take some time to get to know the rest of the story.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

could someone read the thread out loud to me? My head is throbbing and my eyes may be bleeding from all the Cruzan I drank last night.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I second all you regular forum friends. Well said!!
Image[/url]
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Lishen, I don drink when Imin shaint John anymore n I drink when I’m he *hic…here. I guessh it only seems tha…*hic…that way.

O.K. seriously, I think I agree with Flip flop about the high stress level jobs and being in Paradise that attracts more folks to drink adult beverages. When we are here in our every day stress induced lives, we don’t have the opportunity to sit back with a cold one and just forget everything else that is going on. We can do that while we are on vacation, leaving the every day work routine behind.

I do find it kind of sad that you felt the need to point something as trivial as this out. I think you need to sit back and enjoy a cold one and forget about your stress filled every day life for a while….it’ll do you a world of good!! Have fun and enjoy the company here. We’re all relatively harmless, and a heck of a lot of fun to be around!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

I don't know that I would call it an obsession. Yes, many like to talk about the beach bars, favorite drinks, recipes, but I think a cold frozen drink is simply a part of the island experience for most of us. I am not a big drinker at home, however, I do find myself having quite a few when I am on St. John. It's different there. It's just part of it for me, and I think that is the case for many of us. Talking about is just another way we can think about the fun of St. John.

I hope you'll stick around long enough to realize this is a great group and this forum is a lot of fun, booze talk or no booze talk.
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Number one, thank you for the "Welcome" liamsaunt.

Number two it was only an observation and I am sorry it came off as a judgement.

Number three, many of you have made very valid points in response to my questions - specifically flip flop, Jmq and JT. Thank you for responding in an adult, non-defensive manner.

Number four, obsessedmuch, why did you feel it necessary to use a horrific event and the "support, comaradarie and humor on this forum when many other parts of life seem so very confusing" card in your response to me? Does it have anything at all to do with anything I brought up? I don't need a "story" - I was just curious about a common topic I have viewed throughout this forum. Maybe you should relax and have a drink.

Mel