Fun-Sun-Rum-Rinse-Repeat! Trip Report! Day 1

Travel discussion for St. John
msgcolleen

Fun-Sun-Rum-Rinse-Repeat! Trip Report! Day 1

Post by msgcolleen »

I am incredibly fortunate to say this was our 9th trip to St. John and it amazes me how much there is to do and see that we have never done or seen yet!! I'll put a little * by all the things that were new to us on this trip.
Ready, set . . . let's go!

Day 1: Travel day!
We were a little worried about Tropical Storm Emily getting in our way, especially after experiencing Hurricane Otto that spanked us big time last October. But we made it to STT just like clockwork and landed in blue skies and fluffy white clouds. Taxi to Red Hook and 5 p.m. ferry to STJ!

Howdy! We have arrived!

It's so awesome to see in person what I've been looking at on the forum, blogs and webcams! My vacation starts now! We packed super light with just one carry on bag and 2 backpacks for the both of us. We were going to walk over to *Grande Bay* to check in but noticed a guy right there on the dock holding a Grande Bay sign so I asked if we could catch a ride. "Ofcourse! We've been waiting for you." Cool~

Now, I have to admit, for years I've been dissing GB. It's too big! It looks out of place! Too resorty for STJ! Well much to my surprise, it is very nice and exactly what I was looking for on this trip since I didn't want to rent a car, cook or clean, or buy groceries or take the trash to the dumpster. I just wanted to cruise around Cruz Bay like the locals and gosh darn it that's what I did! We rented a GB studio unit on the 3rd floor that looked brand new, ice cold A/C and a great view of Cruz Bay. Perfect!

Once we settled in we strolled over to the Beach Bar and pulled up some chairs on the beach to enjoy our sunset cocktails. I heard a voice calling my name and it was CODEN!! COral & DENny=CO-DEN! We've been chatting for months on the forum about our anniversary trip. Our 24th and their 30th! We planned to go out on *Palm Tree Charters* later in the week together and they even offered to let us tag along with them to some of the beaches since they had a car and were staying right up the road from us. Such a sweet couple who love the island as much as we do!

Next thing we knew, we met more forumites on the beach! (awardb) Ward and lovely wife Sylvia. They were staying at Cloud 9 villa where we stayed a few years ago. So we had plenty to reminisce about.

We had a fabulous dinner at High Tide together and looked forward to the *official forum gathering* on Sunday. A short walk along the beach and quick elevator ride to the 3rd floor of GB and we were ready to crash. We needed to be ready to go at 9 a.m. sharp tomorrow for beach day at the *Haulovers* with our new forum friends! 8)
Last edited by msgcolleen on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

awesome, awesome, awesome shots! Love the start! And am especially happy to see the pics after the drama getting them ;-) Can't wait for more!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Great! Love all the pix! I'd like to stay in the Cruz Bay area sometime...walking distance, etc. :lol:
Patty

Post by Patty »

Yipee!!! I have been waiting for your report. Looking forward to the next installment! Pictures are great. Keep 'em coming :)
Coden

Post by Coden »

Mornin' Glory!!

Boy - did we have some fun filled days!! I think if I rest up for the next week I could go another round. :D
Coden
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

I could definitely go another round or three! 8)

I would love to have ONE Christmas on island and forget all the holiday shopping, decorating, cooking, pigging out, cold weather, presents we don't need, ect. . .

Is the family buying that idea? Uh, nope! :?

ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

We're considering Grande Bay for next year's trip! Glad to hear y'all loved it!

SORRY we didn't make it to the official forum gathering. That day (as you'll read later in an upcoming trip report) was my SUNBURN BEYOND RECOGNITION day. ARRRRGGGH. It was horrible. I could barely walk. And I'm STILL peeling!!!! Luckily after a day of "no sun fun" I was better. Sigh. Maybe next year!!!!! :)
Coden

Post by Coden »

msgcolleen wrote:I would love to have ONE Christmas on island and forget all the holiday shopping, decorating, cooking, pigging out, cold weather, presents we don't need, ect. . .Is the family buying that idea? Uh, nope! :?
It was one of our happiest Christmases, Colleen. Try this...so everyone has something to open on Christmas Day, have the boys get you two something, and vice-versa, set a $ amount - we set $20, and spend one evening in Cruz Bay, the boys going one way and you another and shop. We found our son & his friend each a nice, signed print by a local artist. They loved them - I think we cheated and actually paid $30 for the prints - which was a great deal.

Simple yes - but we hit two beaches a day that trip and we will, one day, do it again. :wink:

Edited to add that we put a No liquid rule on the gift due to TSA...we didn't want to get a present that wouldn't make it thru TSA.
Coden
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Colleen.....Yea!! your trip report!! LOVE your pics - awesome! Great start; can't wait to hear more. Thanks for doing this. Hope to see you & Kyle soon!
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

ColumbiaSCTraveler wrote:We're considering Grande Bay for next year's trip! Glad to hear y'all loved it!

SORRY we didn't make it to the official forum gathering. That day (as you'll read later in an upcoming trip report) was my SUNBURN BEYOND RECOGNITION day. ARRRRGGGH. It was horrible. I could barely walk. And I'm STILL peeling!!!! Luckily after a day of "no sun fun" I was better. Sigh. Maybe next year!!!!! :)
Yikes! That Caribbean sun can bake your lilly white skin in no time! Even in the shade! Sorry we missed you but hoping we see you at Grande Bay next year!! :wink:

Lovin' your trip reports! Keep 'em coming~ :wink:

Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Let it roll Colleen! Been waiting for this!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Great start and also love the pics. Glad you made friends and had a lift to the beach. Isn't Grande Bay grand?! Stayed there in April and just loved it.

(Nice to hear how Coden got her name!)
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

sounds like a fun start- looking forward to hearing more!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting