Italy

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
LovetoTravel

Italy

Post by LovetoTravel »

Hi All,

I NEED HELP!! My Sister-in-laws and I are going to Italy next year for our 50th birthdays. 3 of us are turning 50.

I need help in trying to find out the best time of year to go. We want to cover several areas of Italy. Rome is of course on the list. We want to go to the wine country and any other suggestions anyone else may have. Also, is there a train system to go from place to place. We want to find places that are "off the beaten path". We do not want to go to the touristy places. Of course Rome is touristy but we all want to go to see the Vatican and go to mass. ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated.

I am sure you will be able to help the most Anthony since you are from Italy.

Thank you
LovetoTravel

Post by LovetoTravel »

Thank you soooo much for your trip reports. I look forward to reading them!!

I appreciate it!!! :D
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Easter through the end of August is very crowded. My favorite time is mid to late September. Most of the crowds are gone, the weather is wonderful.
How long a trip r u planing. Rome, Florence and Tuscan Hill towns make a nice trip. The trains are good, although you might need a car to see some of the more off the beaten path Tuscan towns. Venice is magical but crazy expensive. you will have a great time.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

You do have to keep in mind that there is not really any "off the beaten path" left in Italy :)

Most people hit the big three - Rome, Florence, Venice - and for good reason - they are some of the most amazing places in the world!

Rick Steves has put the Cinque Terre on the map for U.S. visitors also -

If you want something really different, you should think about/look into some of the different regions like the Marche, Puglia (the heel), etc. You will find better prices and less tourists -

Of course this all depends on whether you have been before or not. If it is your first trip, I would not miss Rome, Florence and Venice - and the trains between all are fast an efficient, if not a bit expensive.

I can help with more specifics, especially for Tuscany - so keep asking. Also search the forum for Italy, there have been many members who have visited there is a lot of info here already.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

How long will this trip be? My husband and I went to Italy for 9 nights last year. I was pregnant at the time and didn't want to jump around every two days. Personally, I prefer to do one or two places really thoroughly. We chose Rome and the Amalfi Coast. We visited in mid-September. Really nice time, but it was H-O-T in Rome. As in, we'd venture out from 8-12, nap from 12-3 and then head out again around 4 each day. It cools down substantially in the evenings. I'd choose late September or October. It was a bit crowded, but not overwhelmingly so.

What are your interests? Do you want to hit museums and sites the entire time, or do you ladies want some down time to drink wine, stroll around and relax? If you want some down time, the Amalfi Coast was really spectacular. My two favorite places were Praiano and Ravello - both much less touristy than Positano or Amalfi.

Train service is good and inexpensive. Italy is a large place and it can take many hours to get from one place to another. Once you decide on location, you can do more research on trains in Italy. Google is your friend!
jmq

Post by jmq »

We just went for the first time in May. That is a pretty fine time of year to go, as well as anytime in the early fall. A quickie photo report was posted here, more details in a full write up hopefully coming soon. Our trip was confined to northern Italy and Tuscany.

Make sure you click thru to page 2 as there are more trip details and photos.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... hp?t=20437

My wife’s cousin (Brooklyn Italian Catholic) was flabbergasted that we would go to Italy and NOT go to Rome. He said that would be like going to Yankee Stadium when the Yankees were playing in California.

We were glad we didn’t – the cities are pretty chaotic, and we had just done a big city Europe trip (London and Paris) the year before, plus I really wanted to see the magical Alps again, and, trying to fit Rome in while trying to slow down in the Italian Rivera and Tuscan hill towns would short change the time spent everywhere. We also decided that trying to include Venice in this itinerary would’ve been too ambitious - we had enough train time as it was, even with no back tracking.

You do need a car or to hire a driver/take a motor tour to see Tuscany and Chianti. Otherwise, the trains are pretty good for getting from point to point, and the extra expense of taking the high speed rail up from Rome might be worth the time saved.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
LovetoTravel

Post by LovetoTravel »

WOW!! THANK YOU ALL for your input!! Very great info. I think we need to decide on the specific areas we want to travel and then I will need the details from everyone.

We are only going to spend a couple of days in Rome. WE really want to see the countryside and wine country. Anthony-- I am going to assume Tuscany is the heart of the wine country? I definitely would like info for that area. We will probably want to hire a private car to take us to the wineries. Plus any other suggestions you may have.

It sounds like the fall is when we need to go. Is that also your thought Anthony? I do not want to go when everything is shut down, which I assume is in September.

It looks like I have a lot of reading to do. LOL!!!

Thank You again!!!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

August is the traditional month for many italians to vacation. to the extent things close it will be then.