Driving from CA to FL with cats in the car :)

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

Driving from CA to FL with cats in the car :)

Post by California Girl »

If you were driving coast-to-coast with two cats in the car, how far would you try to get every day?

We're going to move to Florida early next year and I'm just trying to figure things out in my head. If we weren't going to have our cats with us, we would try to bomb through with long days driving and as few stops as possible, but with the cats, I think we'll have to make shorter days and maybe add a day to the drive.

We're thinking of driving an average of 7 hours a day and covering about 500 miles a day (based on MapQuest estimates of drive time). We will have a shorter day the day we hit New Orleans because we'll spend the night with nothintolose and then another 8 hour day and a 4 hr. day before arriving in South Florida. I'd love to push it to one 12 hour day and just get there :!: , but I just don't know if that's feasible with animals. Cats are different than dogs and they may take to it, or they may not...oh boy, an :roll: adventure!

Any thoughts on the subject?
brenda

Post by brenda »

Margo, I hope you have better luck than I have had with cats and car drives :roll: . Brutal listening to mournful MEOWS the whole time. Might be better to just go for the longer days and get it over with. Seriously, might ask your vet for some sedation.
Going "home" again October 26th!
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Don't they just sleep like dogs. That meowing would drive me crazy, but then again I'm not a cat person
California Girl

I think the first day might be awful, but hopefully they'll get used to it by the 2nd or 3rd day. I've had cats that were good travelers, and cats that got carsick, so it's a hard question to answer.

These guys did ok when we first got them and had to drive about 25 miles home. But they were cowering and shivering in their carrier back then because they were so frightened.

Maybe some "kitty valium" isn't a bad idea.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

I know this isn't about cats, but it involves moving with pets and if you have a few minutes it is worth the laugh!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... cepts.html

Hope your move goes better than this :)
Pia

Post by Pia »

I had no idea - good luck with the move - what part of Fl??

Anyway, why don't you fly with them - if that's not an option try taking them for a drive everyday starting now to see how it goes. Also a great product to give them (all natural) is Rescue Remedy Pets - we used it when we bought the girls down to St John and they were only 8 weeks old. Here are a few of the uses.....

Visits to the vet
Fear of loud noises (fireworks, thunderstorms, etc)
Excessive barking or hissing
Shock, trauma or mistreatment
Adapting to loss of companion
Separation anxiety
Adapting to new surroundings (home, kennel, stable, etc.)
Obsessive cleanliness
Constant licking or nibbling of self

http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-u ... escue-pet/

Good luck :)
Realtor - St John Properties
California Girl

Thanks Pia! It's a recent decision, I was planning to drop you a line, but was waiting for you to get back from K.C.

Details to follow! :D
toni

Post by toni »

How are the kitties when you take them to the vet for example? Do they handle that all right? one of mine screeches w/i a minute of getting in the car, but my others have travelled all right. The screechy ones can drive you bonkers though I will say.

I flew my moms cat from fl to ny when my mom passed away but that was years ago, did it in the stowage but I think there's more concern now especially in the hot weather.

Make sure your cats are wearing some kind of ID, microchip something. It's too easy to have one get loose.

Since you have time can you make short practice drives to see how they'll be?

Good luck with it whatever you choose it's bound to be an experience!
California Girl

I flew two cats from Michigan to California about 40 years ago and it was AWFUL. And Toni, they were in the baggage hold back then, like you said, and they came down the luggage shute in Chicago and I had to check them through to the next flight myself. They had crapped all over themselves and the inside of their carrier (they were together) and they never really did get over it, I don't think. I'm glad things are different now and you can take them onboard with you!

I like the suggestions of "test drives" around town to get them used to it. They really are very good going to the vet, but it's only about a block away, so it's not a "real" trip! LOL!
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

I drove from Miami to DC with my daughter and her young cat a few years ago. Since the SUV was packed with my daughter's end-of-college things, there wasn't much room for the cat, and the cat had never been in a moving vehicle before.

We first tried to put the cat in a well-ventilated box, thinking this would be calming. It wasn't -- for us or the cat -- it scratched its way out.

We tried a cat leash to keep the cat from getting stuck in the labryinth of stuff in the back. That didn't work too well, either . . . the cat wanted to explore and I (the one who wasn't driving) didn't seem to be able to stop her from doing so. She eventually found a hidden spot and just stayed there.

We spent some time tyring to figure out a travelling litter box. The pet store recommended a cardboard box, divided inside into two sections . . . one with kitty litter, one without.

Somehow, we made it, but it wasn't easy.

TM
jdw

Post by jdw »

CG - I can't help you with cat info but if you need a place to stop and rest in GA please let me know!
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Can you give cats benedryl to calm them? I know this works for dogs, might be worth asking your vet. Where in South Florida are you relocating? Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
darkanddietwithlime

Post by darkanddietwithlime »

Hi California Girl,
We drove from Maine to Florida last Fall and back to Maine this Spring with our 2 cats. They did ok. We started out with them in carriers in the back seat and they were NOT happy. By Day 2 we just let them ride in the back seat. By Day 3 they were jockeying for position on the floor of the passenger side under my feet!! The were purrfectly content to ride there for the rest of the trip.
We took 3 days driving about 5-7 hours a day and that was due in part by finding hotels that we could stay in with the kitties. We found LaQuinta hotels very hospitable to pets and extremely clean.
I asked my vet for tranquilizers for the ride and she was hesitant to prescribe because of the kitties' ages, 13 and 14. She did, however, recommend Rescue Remedy which I purchased but really didn't help.
We had a portable litter box situated on the floor of the back seat. They used it occasionally but mostly first thing in the morning, after they had their breakfast and at the end of the day after arriving at the hotel.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any questions. Good luck.
What part of Florida?
California Girl

Thanks for all the suggestions! You guys so totally rock!

The plan is to get the cats a large kennel/cage and put it behind the front seats (we'll have either an SUV or minivan at that point) situated so they can see out. (that's the "plan" at least - subject to change, of course) They will have their litter box & food and a nice bed in there. They spent the first year of their life in a cage in Petco, so I'm not sure if another cage will be familiar and "ok" or "don't put me in a cage again!"

These guys are only 3 yrs. old, so I could probably get some kind of tranquilizers for them, I'll take them to the vet for a check-up before we leave and will find out then what she recommends.

Thanks for the tip on La Quinta, that was another question - which motels are pet-friendly :?: .

jdw - Thanks SO much for the offer to stay with you, I will definitely keep it in mind, but if we stop in New Orleans, we probably won't need to stop again in Georgia, but how AWESOME of you to offer!

We are moving to Cape Coral (or possibly Fort Myers) depending on what kind of houses are available to rent when we make the plunge! We figure to rent for a while (possibly forever) before deciding to buy a place.

I really appreciate all the suggestions! So glad I asked! :D
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Our vet was against tranquilizers for our dog when we took him to San Diego last year. vet recommended a collar which had some pheromones , supposed remind them of their mothers... I'm sure they have something similar for cats. Turns out puppy did great settled into his carrier under the seat in front of me and did not make a sound. he made a bee line for the terminal door after we landed looking for the
"relief area" though!