Why do people do this?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
surfnh

Why do people do this?

Post by surfnh »

wow, I somehow missed this amusingly long thread on TA about Dolphin market parking, but it got me thinking about why people do certain things......so I'd like to start a thread with a question.....

Can anyone tell me why cigarette smokers throw their butts out their car windows and litter? Not sure if all smokers do this, but I've never noticed a none-smoker do it, so there must be something very important about dumping butts in the street that I haven't figured out yet? Any smokers out there want to explain this one?
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

I smoke and haven't thrown butts out the window in a Looong time. I was driving down a congested Mass Street and tossed my butt out my window. It went right into the window of someone going the other direction. Ooops!!! Lesson learned :oops:
Coden

Post by Coden »

I don't smoke, but I think people do it so they don't have cigarette butts in their ashtrays. :shock:
Coden
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I used to smoke and I have tossed and been tossed on. I was sitting in the back seat of a car with a sweater dress on and the driver flipped his ashes out the window and they came right in my window, landed on my dress and burnt a hole in it. I didn't even realize it until I smelled it burning. :(

If I remember correctly, I used to toss my butts out the window before the anti-litter laws and raised consciousness, and it was because I didn't want them stinking up my car. Little did I realize it was already too late! :roll:

P.S. Coden, you're right!
bevm

Post by bevm »

I threw my butt out the car window and I'm not a smoker...Oh, I misunderstood the topic. My bad.. :roll:
Lex

Post by Lex »

It's an interesting and puzzling thing. It seems that in the mind of the smoker, cigarets are in a sort of special category of objects. In fact, there may not actually even be anything else in the category.

People who wouldn't toss a candy or gum wrapper out of some window will flick a butt out that window without a second thought. People who wouldn't drop kleenex or a bottle cap on the street will drop their cigaret without a second thought. In the mind of the smoker, there isn't even a realization or a second thought---somehow, in the smoker's mind, there's nothing wrong with tossing a cigaret away.

Once I noticed two guys who were standing on the street talking and having a cigaret and a cup of coffee. When they were ready to leave they walked over to a trash can, threw their coffee cups in the can, then dropped their cigarets on the ground. If one had an empty cigaret pack, he probably would have put that in the trash, while leaving the cigaret butts on the ground. He wouldn't toss an empty matchbook but there's a strange blind spot in regard to the cigaret. To the smoker it actually seems that he's supposed to dispose of his cigaret that way. It's very strange. I'm quite gratefull that I was able to stop smoking. I'd probably be thoroughly disgusted with myself if I was still smoking.
Last edited by Lex on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry

Post by Terry »

bevm,
You are a riot!
:lol:
Lex,
You must be into analizing things. I luv ya, but your are too funny.

I only throw my hot air out the window!
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

bevm wrote:I threw my butt out the car window and I'm not a smoker...Oh, I misunderstood the topic. My bad.. :roll:
Like!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

"Why do people do X, Y or Z?"

There are 2 answers:
A: Because people, as a whole, suck
2: Because they're assholes

There's no other reason. I hate people a lot lately.
bevm

Post by bevm »

People are assholes Pip? Really? I hadn't noticed that.... :wink: Present company excluded ,right?
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Lex - my ex-smoker husband shares your thoughts.

That parking thread was interesting. I think TA took most of the posts down.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

This topic got a little ugly on the main forum a couple of years ago. There was a thread complaining about people who leave their cigarette butts on the beaches and some people got really defensive.

That parking thread was interesting. I don't usually read TA but I followed the link to it that was on the News of St. John blog. I was surprised by how many people sided with the tourist.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Chet

Post by Chet »

I'd venture a guess that most cars don't have ashtrays. :idea:
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Goodness, I must admit, I have always wondered this. I thought maybe that their cars didn't come with ashtrays or something!....I mean come on, why would you litter like that? And yes, I have been hit by a burning cig that came back in the window and landed on the back of my favorite fleece! Aaaargh...good thing it was a really fun "girl's day out" and we were feeling no pain or I might have gotten hurt...what is it that xislandgirl calls it? oh yeah, a "hot mess"....quite literally...tee hee!
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

I think a better question is WHY would you smoke in your car in the first place... its like smoking in your house...NO WAY...even if I WAS a smoker I wouldn't do either...