Credit cards in BVI?

Travel discussion for St. John
kellog24

Credit cards in BVI?

Post by kellog24 »

Quick help please....we are on island now, headed to JVD in the morning for our boat trip. We are running a little low on cash, and wondering about credit card use in the BVI. Is it safe? And do places like Foxy's and Soggy accept credit cards? We can get by with what we have if need be, but would like to save it for later. Thanks for any advice you can offer us. We are having a wonderful time!
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Yes, both Foxy's and Soggy Dollar take credit, that's all I've ever used there. And yes, your credit card still works after getting wet.
kellog24

Post by kellog24 »

Hallelujah! Thank you for saving my marriage! Lol :)
jmq

Post by jmq »

Probably OK the vast majority of the time, but the phone lines on JVD can act up.

When we were at Soggy Dollar a few yrs ago, they were having some issues and swiped our card several times before it finally went through, and sure enough, we were triple billed on the statement, an obvious error that was somewhat easy to fix.

So, save your receipts and just be aware if they seem to be having connection issues.

Also, even though it is in US dollars, believe it ot not, most CC banks will hit you with the 3% foreign transaction fee. Capital One does not - there may be others.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide