Thinking about going to Mexico?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

Thinking about going to Mexico?

Post by California Girl »

P-600

Post by P-600 »

I know I have posted this before but my daughter's high school friend died in Mexico at a hotel pool. The authorities did not do anything to help. They wouldn't let American doctors/vacationers near him to help him while he died poolside.

www.mexicovacationawareness.com

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

That really sucks - all thats going on down there. I use to love going to Mexico- Good times...

We actually wound up in STJ kind of "by accident" our first time, we had a trip planned to Mexico but after seeing news of El federal-es finding a dozen people be-headed on a roadside somewhere, we decided to go elsewhere- STJ!
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

P-600 wrote:I know I have posted this before but my daughter's high school friend died in Mexico at a hotel pool. The authorities did not do anything to help. They wouldn't let American doctors/vacationers near him to help him while he died poolside.

www.mexicovacationawareness.com
Hi P-600,

Just wanted to say, my "that sucks" comment was directed toward the original post...not yours. I had typed it before seeing your post, I don't want you to think I was being unsympathetic,
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

The tragedy of P-600's friend aside, the truth of the matter is that tourists are not really at risk from the drug cartels. The violence is in border towns, and the deaths are nearly all within the cartels. Many of our cities are more dangerous than the resort areas of Mexico. Here's a recent list of the most dangerous cities in the US:
• St. Louis
• Atlanta
• Birmingham, AL
• Orlando
• Detroit
• Miami
• Baltimore
• Kansas City, MO
• Minneapolis
• Cleveland
Yep, the home of Minnie & Mickey makes the list, and it's actually pretty high up there. Many of us travel to these cities and don't experience any violence. The same can be said for traveling in Mexico. As with any travel, the prudent thing is to be mindful of our surroundings and try not to do stupid things in unfamiliar surroundings.
California Girl

With all due respect Lovermont, although our cities can be dangerous, Mexico is WAY MORE so. In Mexico, it's not about "being mindful and not stupid" because in Mexico innocents are caught in the crossfire all the time.

About 2 yrs. ago, members of a drug cartel sprayed a town square in Mexico City with machine gunfire and killed many innocent people who were enjoying a quite afternoon.

I know the incident bdkane mentioned about the beheadings. I had just won 3 free days at a big fancy hotel in Mexico City and the bodies were found within a few miles of it. I gave up my free days.

I live about 100 miles from Tijuana and I used to love going down there for the day to shop, but no more. Innocent people are constantly being caught in the crossfire there...in the tourist areas!!!

A couple of years ago someone here on the forum (I wish I could remember his name) posted about getting hijacked by COPS and totally robbed of all their cash and possessions just outside of Cancun (?).

Those are only the few incidents I know of personally, but it's enough to keep me out of Mexico. And that's sad. :(
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Julie - I just spent some time reading the horrific stories on that website. Wow.

Losing a loved one is tragic enough, but the inhumane treatment of the victims and their families is truly shocking.

Wow is all I can say.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Im sure there are many dangerous cities here in the states, I think the biggest difference between dangerous cities here in the US and those in Mexico is that here you at least have the "Authorities" to assist you, In Mexico... GOOD LUCK WIT DAT!

Myself and some friend got a good beat down by some Mexican Policemen back in the day, while ill admit we where doing what some may consider "stupid things", being dragged out to the mangroves then pistol whipped and held at gunpoint was a bit overboard. I call it the tale of "The Judge some guns and a chicken" - better than "The Hangover" :shock:
California Girl

These days you'd just disappear.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

California Girl wrote:These days you'd just disappear.
You are likely correct, I guess Ill just have to take my chances in STJ :wink:
California Girl

See you there! :D
Coden

Post by Coden »

I wouldn't go to Mexico right now if someone paid me. It is sad that the violence and drug wars affect the wonderful Mexican people who are just trying to live a normal life down there like we are here.
Coden
bevm

Post by bevm »

If Mexico's so great why are they all trying to come here? Just sayin'......No nasty PM's please.
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Some close relatives are choosing to get married in Mexico in May of next year. If they'd chosen the Mayan Riviera or Caribbean area, we'd probably go. All in all, those resorts are still safe. Though I don't enjoy seeing armed guards patrolling resorts.

However, they chose a small beach town about 35 minutes outside of Zihuatanejo. I did my research (message boards, etc) and gringos who live in the area have been subjected to carjackings and robberies along the highway that lead to this town. Nope, not gonna take my little family there. There IS a differenc - in the US, I know which areas to avoid. In Mexico, not so much. Plus at least the authorities here speak the same language that I do and I have rights. In Mexico - good luck!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

No plans to go there, but I am really greatful that I have been visiting two times (2007 Playa del Carmen and 2009 Cozumel) and been able to see the beautiful country, especially the underwater world. Also met some really nice locals. That will do for now, but I do have to say that those two trips were above my expectations. Scary and sad to read about all the things that are happening there.