Bermuda Trip Report - Weekend Getaway

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
alw1977

Bermuda Trip Report - Weekend Getaway

Post by alw1977 »

We recently returned from a brief 3-night getaway to Bermuda. I've posted a link to my trip report below. Please note that I am not a photoshopper - these are untouched pictures, warts, uneven landscapes and all. Enjoy!

http://clevernomad.blogspot.com/2011/06 ... -2011.html
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Nice report and great details. I've never been to Bermuda, but must put it on my "long weekend" getaway list. Thanks for taking the time to share it.
CBama

Post by CBama »

really enjoyed your trip report...
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

great report. I know a couple who went to Royal Palms on their honeymoon. It looks nice. I just returned from a cruise to Bermuda. It was my 8th visit there I think but my first since we started going to St. John. While I enjoyed myself I didn't get any great feeling of wanting to return soon or repeatedly. I told my husband I could see us returning for a 3 or 4 nighter but not much more.

For a while there BDA was pricing itself out of tourism and catering to the business traveler. It seems like that has changed again a little bit. I was surprised to see many of the old hotels gone. We took an island tour and our driver told us they have gone from over 10K hotel beds to about 2500.

We love the Pickled Onion also :)

Congrats on your second little one!
jqg1956

Post by jqg1956 »

Having just returned from Bermuda ourselves, your observations are spot on. We love both St. John and Bermuda, travelling to each once a year for a week at a time. Each is perfect for its own reasons. Bermuda is pure relaxation and gets us primed for summer here at home. St. John in late fall fortifies us for the winter ahead.

Loved your blog - thanks for sharing.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Loved your report. We keep looking at Bermuda but somehow don't get there. One of these days.

Our neighbor lived on Bermuda for years and has also travelled the Caribbean (including much time in the VIs) and he shares your observations about the citizens and standard of living and the resulting culture. He had never returned to Bermuda since he left but goes to STX every spring for a month.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

my husband lived there for a year and had also not returned since 1993 until just a few weeks ago.
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

Haven't been there since 1965, before most of you were born. College "Spring Break".... Best memory is seeing the "Temptations" in person thanks to some very friendly Bermudians and of course, sailing the "cat" from Hamilton Harbour.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks for the report. I really enjoy Bermuda but it cannot compare to St. John--at least not for me. We are going to Bermuda in September for a long weekend--just enough time to spend there, in my opinion.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Nice report, enjoyed it. We've been to Bermuda 3 times, the first time for a week during spring break in 1980, the last time in 1993. We really love it there, the water is cooler for sure than the VI, but it's perfect for us from New England. Also love the easy transport on mopeds, lots of fun!

Actually our oldest son was visiting us this weekend, saying he and his girlfriend were looking for someplace to vacation in Oct. Your report reminded us of the beauty there, we told him to target Bermuda for sure!

By the way you mentioned the Hog Penny Pub, that was our favorite pub in 1980! Can still remember the Watney's on tap!
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Loved your trip report! Did you know that the Hog Penny Pub was the inspiration for Cheers???

http://www.hogpennypub.com/index2.html

we stayed at the Elbow beach resort and absolutely loved it! Here is the trip report from my 40th uh um 20th birthday ;D...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... rmuda.html

I know my review is a couple or more years old but still worth the read.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group