GoPro HD Camera?

Travel discussion for St. John
BRY1105

GoPro HD Camera?

Post by BRY1105 »

Ive always liked the Canon D10, but does anyone have any experience with the GoPro HD cameras? http://gopro.com/
The video is quite impressive for about the same price as the D10s. Wondering if it would be a better deal.
But supposedly the housing is curved in front of the lens making things slightly blurry underwater. People have fixed that problem by getting a housing that is flat from EyeOfMine: http://eyeofmine.com/gopro/underwater/index.html
Seems like an awesome setup, but the costs start to add up...
Bryan
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Just recently purchased one, and am planning on using it on our STJ trip this fall. Getting all the mounts and stuff can REALLY add up. But the Naked kit had enough to get started. My brother and I split the package/access, (joint custody) Made it a little more reasonable. Have used it quite a few times. Video is great, 60 fps video is really good. the Stills are sharp as well. Like the intervelometer/timelapse feature. Nice to have it document a series of events, without dragging the camera out every couple of minutes. Will not replace the nikon or panasonic point and shoot, by any means. More of the waterproof, turn it on and see what you get kind of camera. I know about 4-5 people that have them as well, pretty bomber.

We do a bunch of mountain biking and skiing, but thought it might come in handy for water activities. Snorkel, surf type stuff.

Couple of things to keep in mind. 1) The angle of view is REALLY wide. So you have to be pretty close or people/subject are pushed out in front of you.

2) Since it's such a compact camera, the menu is a simple 2 button set up. Took some time to figure out how to get in a change settings. 3) our next add to the rig will be the LCD back. Since there isn't a viewfinder per say, you don't really know what you are getting. But since it's so wide you are getting plenty. The LCD can help you frame up your shot if you are looking for something specific.

A friend is taking her go pro on a Anguilla/St barts/ cat sailing trip next week. I'll see if she lets me post some of her pics.

So far so good.
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Here are a couple of shots showing the angle of veiw, this was mounted on his bike handlebar, taking a frame every 30 seconds or so. Sun had already gone down, so the light was soft. Still did a good job.

GOPR0097 by ross_mike40, on Flickr

GOPR0103 by ross_mike40, on Flickr
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Definitely post some video & your comments on it after your trip. Im very curious to see how it does on STJ.
Bryan
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Will do for sure. I've also seen some gopro footage from STJ on youtube.
James S

Post by James S »

Here is a video I made with a go pro when snorkeling at Cinnamon.
http://stjohnusvi.posterous.com/snorkeling-cinnamon-cay
Also here are some pictures taken with the camera at Francis.
http://stjohnusvi.posterous.com/snorkel ... rancis-bay
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Thanks James, did you have any fogging issues with the housing? or need to use the anti-fog strips? The first time we had ours out, we sealed it up in the warm dry house @5500 feet, then took it to the top of Alta @ 10,000 feet, the altitude and the cold mtn air caused a small ring of fog right over the lens. Gopro recommended to seal it when we arrived at the base of the resort next time. let the pressures equalize.
James S

Post by James S »

Yes, when snorkeling I occasionally had a problem with fogging over the lens and had to clean the housing. I didn't use any anti fogging strips, but may try that next time when I use it in the water.