Option 3
No votes
Option 4
No votes

Total votes: 13

Pia

Vote on our remodel blog if you wish

Post by Pia »

OK, as you know we have a blog where you can follow along on our progress remodeling our home on St John. I just posted a new post where you can vote, but thought it might be fun to vote here also if you wish, so here is my attempt to create a poll but actually I'm not sure how or if it will work and even how I see the results so maybe you can just enter your favorite layout as a "reply" - sorry it's not on the OT forum but not many of us over there :)

Here is the link - www.onawhimstjohn.wordpress.com

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
jcm

Post by jcm »

Option # 1 if you do not entertain larger groups! Crate and Barrel closing some
of their major stores in Chicago. Order now just to be safe.

Also, your husband should wear gloves, heavier shoes and hardhat doing all that
work! He makes me nervous with no gloves on!
jcm

Post by jcm »

Option # 1 if you do not entertain larger groups! Crate and Barrel closing some
of their major stores in Chicago. Order now just to be safe.

Also, your husband should wear gloves, heavier shoes and hardhat doing all that
work! He makes me nervous with no gloves on!
Coden

Post by Coden »

On Option # 4 - can the sofa go against the back 19' wall? As in, turn it around and put the chairs where the sofa is?

If not, then I go for Option # 1. :)
Coden
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I like #1 or #2. #3 looks like it has awkward access to the grill. I like the layout of option #4 but don't like sitting in armless chairs.

And I second what someone else said about ordering soon from Crate and Barrel. They change out their stuff all the time. When John and I got married we registered for our everyday dishes there in a pattern that they said was a classic and would always be in stock. Yeah, right. It was discontinued a month after our wedding!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

I'm going with option #2. My reason is this: most of the time it'll just be you and Les, with drink in hand, admiring your view. To me, that looks like the option most conducive to you two enjoying the fruits of all the hard work of creating your little slice-o-heaven.
As an option to create a few more seats when you have more than two guests, you could keep some director's chairs handy that could be brought out when you need them.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I like 2 & 3. Knowing your deck, I also like 1 & 4 because you really can't screw it up with a view like that :)

IF you twisted my arm I'd say 2!!
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Could not vote for any option because it does not look as though you have enough room around the Dining Table to pull the chairs out far enough to sit in them. Try it with a seperate template for each chair and the table, rather than as one template with chairs tucked under the table as you have it now.

I would want the dining table next to the barbeque (more practical when cooking out)with the additional seating where you now show the dining table.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

silverheels

Post by silverheels »

I go for #1 because those chairs can be moved around more easily than a sofa. Although for the two of you it would be nice to have the sofa.
I agree with previous posters about the BBQ, too bad it cannot be closer to the dining table.
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

Just a thought....Have you considered a built in bench with removable pads? We have a round table that seats 4-6 and the top folds down (as a standing piece of furniture) when not in use, it's decorative. You can also get folding side tables. It will create the illusion of lots more space. You could also go with the tall (bar style) set that allows lot of room to walk around. Make sure the prevailing trade winds blow the BBQ smoke away from the space. Have fun with your make over!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

I hear you GidgetPicklebrain it is probably not the deck size/shape I would have chosen if I was starting from scratch but you have to work with what you have and the choices are dining or no dining so we have chosen to have dining :)

Two new options posted today - www.onawhimstjohn.wordpress.com :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Pia,
Option 6 looks good. Those two chairs can be repositioned so that they do not block the sofa. I like your choice of furniture, colors and especially the pillows.
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

OPTION #6 is much better!!! Turn the dining table to a 45° angle so everyone can see the view & more room to sit & move the chairs. Go wild and change it up.... you're in the islands! The pillows are great. Unless you bolt it to the floor you can move it around @ you're whim!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

silverheels wrote:Pia,
Option 6 looks good. Those two chairs can be repositioned so that they do not block the sofa. I like your choice of furniture, colors and especially the pillows.
option 6 also gets my vote,
Les did great work with those columns
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

I think I still like Option 2 the best. Plenty of room to walk around and I would rather have extra room and be able to pull out a couple of folding chairs if needed. You can always move the dining chairs around if you need more furniture in a group. I like every seat having a view!

I love the caliente and the pillows you are hoping to use. I think I would choose the other color for the dining area.

It's going to be gorgeous!