To Jost or not to Jost..

Travel discussion for St. John
PaminMaine

To Jost or not to Jost..

Post by PaminMaine »

I am thinking about going to Jost Van Dyke for a day maybe...any suggestiong for which day is best on the island?
54b

Post by 54b »

Big fan of JVD, it reminds me of that Corona beer commercial where the party never ends, they just move to another side of the island.

To that end, I think when considering Jost, it's more about how you get there and how long you can stay vs. when you go.

The majority of people who visit Jost are headed for White Bay to lime the afternoon away with a frosty beverage ("Painkiller") from Soggy's or one of the other "outdoor" beach bars there. Some also venture over to Great Harbour to do some t-shirt shopping on the main strip and/or stop by Foxy's for lunch and of course, another frosty beverage.

Customs is also located at Great Harbour and because JVD is one of British Virgin Islands, you do have to go through customs ($25) every time you visit and then back thru US customs when you get back to STJ. So if you're only going for the day, I think you have to be back around 5pm in order to get back thru US customs in time...and that typically mean you need to be leaving Jost by around 3:30...nobody ever wants to leave.

The two main ways to get to Jost are via charter or ferry. By charter, you can go any day, but it can be expensive. As for the ferry (about $50 or $60 round trip), not for sure, but I want to say it only goes over and back on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (leaves STJ at 8:30am, leaves Jost at 3pm - leaving you about 5 hours on island). So that may dictate when you go.

Only other thing I can think of that would determine the best day to go is the famous BBQ buffet at Foxy's...but I think that's only offered on Saturdays and at dinner time, so you'd have to be spending the night on Jost to do it.

Hope that helps...my wife and I took the ferry over last June...left on Saturday morning, returned on Sunday afternoon. We stayed at a little campground called Ivan's to the right of White Bay. It was a great time, but maybe not for everyone...the cabin at Ivan's was pretty spartan, basically a shack. But it had a fan and little fridge and a priceless view!
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Do it!!!

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
splash

Post by splash »

Jost. Anyday.
Life is like a river… you kind of just have to study it as it goes by.

J&M

Post by J&M »

Any day on Jost is a GREAT day! We will be there one week from Sunday 8)
bamaggie

Post by bamaggie »

We went to Jost for the first time last week (on our sixth trip to St. John). We took the ferry over on Friday and really enjoyed hanging out at the Soggy Dollar Bar on White Bay. Between the ferry, BVI taxes, cabs on JVD, food and lots of drinks, it cost about $350...so it wasn't cheap. But it sure was FUN! Met great people, enjoyed the music, great Painkillers and the beach was beautiful. We will definitely do it again.
Keep Left Mon...
adsjayhawk

Post by adsjayhawk »

JOST!!!
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

Update...

We did end up going and rented a private charter for the day. It was the most beautiful day we spent on the island. The only day that the sun was out in full force. :cry:
The water.. STUNNING!!!!!! Will definately be making a return trip!
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We plan on going on our next trip after thanksgiving. Tell us more about your Jost day.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Keep in mind that Saturday & Sunday are "travel days" for most people so the crowd is thinner at the Soggy Dollar Bar on weekends, believe it or not! :D

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:16 pm.