Fear of Hiking?

Travel discussion for St. John
GaryLC

Fear of Hiking?

Post by GaryLC »

My wife and I are heading back to St. John next week for our second trip, we spent two weeks there in September 2005. We're staying at the most wonderful villa near Salt Pond Bay, it's almost as if you're at the end of the world.
Anway......we like to hike, and were planning on hiking from Lameshur up the Bordeaux Moutain trail, until I just read an article in the Tradewinds of St. John. A man hiked that trail in March, and was coming back down to Coral Bay on the Bordeaux Mountain Road. He was confronted by two men who pointed a cocked shotgun at him. He reported it to the police when he got back down, but pretty much nothing was done.
Has it really gotten to the point where we have to worry about that kind of thing? It's just got me wondering....
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

I am by no means that experienced with travelling to St John like others on this list but to read something like this and read that the police do nothing (I've read that before) just boggles the mind. Maybe it is their way of scaring tourists away a la Scooby Doo haunted house scarings? Crime is everywhere but this kind of crap should not be happening-not when the cops know where the house is and know who the perps are. I have been chased before by "Crazy" farmers with guns for riding on their property. Sounds like if these guys wanted to shoot they would have. Wonder if the police would have done something then? We plan to do a lot of hiking when we go. I guess we will have to take some kind of protection with us.
When will I see St John again?
Tortola

Post by Tortola »

This story is frankly scary. Is St. John becoming another Jamaica? Hispanola? Will it end up with us staying behind the walls of mega resorts to stay safe? Correct me if I a wrong, but this is a United States Territory!! These things should not happen, but if they do, they should be punished swiftlly!! Man with gun and large dogs hurling racial epethets in may neighborhood? SWAT team!!! not the lay se fair attitude that is constantly shown by the VI Police. This simply must end. How? Hire external, mainland police!! I don't think it's an issue of the SIZE of the force, but the ATTITUDE. And i'll say it here. It is RACIAL. Simple and true.
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

I can't say for sure what happened, as I wasn't there, but it sounds like this hiker inadvertently ended up on someone's property. The men who confronted him were sitting on the porch of a home/shack that the man encountered, according to the story. Of course, that is no reason for anyone to react the way the men with the gun did.
I would say just make sure you stay on the trail and you should be fine, although there is nowhere in the world where you can guarantee your safety.
RickG

Re: Fear of Hiking?

Post by RickG »

GaryLC wrote:Anway......we like to hike, and were planning on hiking from Lameshur up the Bordeaux Moutain trail, until I just read an article in the Tradewinds of St. John.
No comments about the ganja guards, but the trail from Lameshur to the Bordeaux Mountain trail is exposed, dry and hot. It's one of the best recipes for heat stroke, so take the appropriate cautions.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
LC

Post by LC »

I like a good hike as much as the next person, but the thought of actually hiking in St. John makes me snicker. Sounds like torture to be sweating like a pig with my quads aching, when I could be on Francis with a cold bevarage in my hand. :P
cat

Post by cat »

We are planning to do the hike to Brown Bay but will definitly do that early one day. Hopefully we will be the only crazies there that day. I am looking forward to the snorkeling there.
RickG

Post by RickG »

cat wrote:We are planning to do the hike to Brown Bay but will definitly do that early one day. Hopefully we will be the only crazies there that day. I am looking forward to the snorkeling there.
Brown Bay from the road at Hurricane Hole is straightforward and not that frontal southern exposure. If you like hiking, continuing on to Waterlemon Cay is fun with great down-island views.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

You know "hiking" is a relative term just like when someone says they are "starving" :wink:

I like a challenge but I think those people that climb Mount Everest are crazy. To you, maybe we are crazy to want to hike in St John. My most challenging hike was up and down about 7 miles in a foot of snow. I loved it- aching feet and all. Never saw such winter beauty. Think 90 foot water falls partially frozen and deer coming up to lick the salt off your coat.

RickG said in another post there is always some nervous chihuahua...that is me. I don't want my a** to get too big now.

Cat-I think we are on the same wavelength on a lot of stuff :shock: (Hope you aren't offended, I'm really not that mean :twisted: )
cat

Post by cat »

mrsb, Tell me again why I should think you are mean...I am the one who on our last rip hike to Ram's head in flip flops with my sister worrying the whole time about them. It was an easy hike but Ishouldhave had more water with us. I know for this next trip to bring more so it's all good! I am getting on the stepper now so that I can be in shape for hiking in June! :D :lol:
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

I was pretty adamant in the smoking thread not too long ago. My favorite tee has a mean saying on it. Maybe I am just thinking the mean stuff and not typing it- hee hee. I like to dress up like a girlie girl but the rest of my persona is not girlie. I can't wait to hike the Brown Bay trail either. We missed it last time.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Cat

If you see a couple on the Brown Bay Trail with 2 puppies (I guess dogs now that they are 1 year old)it's me and hubby (or might be hubby only if I'm having a lazy morning :lol: ) We do this probably 4 or 5 times a week with the other 2 days being one of the other trails - just say hi if you see us.

Pia
cat

Post by cat »

Pia wrote:Hey Cat

If you see a couple on the Brown Bay Trail with 2 puppies (I guess dogs now that they are 1 year old)it's me and hubby (or might be hubby only if I'm having a lazy morning :lol: ) We do this probably 4 or 5 times a week with the other 2 days being one of the other trails - just say hi if you see us.

Pia
No Worries! I am very friendly and have an issue with people who don't say hi when they come across people it that type of setting!

I am in retail probably partially because I love people! I got attacked by a dog at 12 so I don't normally go up to strange dogs but strange peple are another story! :lol: :D
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Okay Pia...now I guess I HAVE to do the Brown Bay hike with Cat and hubby JUST so I can see the "puppies". I go into a decline missing my "puppy" whenever we go on a trip. I have to call home a few times just to see how he's doing.

I hope yours are big kissers!!!

nothintolose

p.s. my "puppy" will be 3 in August, but I still refer to him as a puppy :D :?
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey guy's

We would LOVE to see you - you can always call me and let me know when you plan to do that "hike" and we'll be there for sure - what week are you here again ??? I get so confused as to who is here when - I know, I know use the calendar but I keep forgetting :lol:

Cat, my little ones are totally harmless but they do bark (not much now) when they come across people, they are doing better as they get older. If we hear people in advance we try to be in "training" mode - that's the plan - but it dosen't always work as they just want to give "kisses" :D

We do BB because it is a quiet trail (if we see 1 or 2 people a week it is busy) so it is great for them to just get some energy out - but they return home and are ready to go again in 10 mins !!!! so all it does is wear us out :)

Look forward to seeing you all soon

Pia