Help/Advice for newbies-restaurants, food, snorkeling, etc!!

Travel discussion for St. John
sparis

Help/Advice for newbies-restaurants, food, snorkeling, etc!!

Post by sparis »

Hi all,

Now that we've gotten most of our planning for the trip done, set the villa, jeep rental, etc...we are looking for some advice for once we get to St. John. Hoping the wonderful people of this forum can help us newbies with various details and activities:

1. Ferry to St. John. We’re getting in around 2pm (barring delays, etc…) and so it sounds like we should be aiming for the ferry at Red Hook, since the next ferry at Charlotte Amalie won’t be until 5:30pm. Any suggestions on getting over to that ferry, challenges we might face, etc…?
2. Food: We’ve been reading lots of posts about the expense of food on the island. We’re considering packing a cooler with frozen stuff and maybe some lunch meats, etc… then either packing into our luggage a number of items like cereals, granola, etc…Or shipping that in advance. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to properly pack the cooler for transport on the plane and any other suggestions re: bringing food?
3. Restaurants: Looking for a recommendation for a VERY nice and quality place for the night of our ceremony. It will be just the two of us and we’d like a nice romantic place, with quality food (we’re foodies). For this particular dinner, cost is not a concern. And then recommends on other nice places to grab dinner, a quick lunch, or picnic lunch, etc…And do we need to make a lot of restaurant reservations in advance (we’re traveling in late May)?
4. Renting Snorkel gear? Any particular locations?
5. Renting a dinghy and do we need to book that in advance?
6. Good snorkeling locations and any advice about safety (re: coral, etc…)
7. Must not miss activities? We are hoping to have a few days of just mellowing at our villa, as we really need the down time, but also want to be sure we get about and around on the island. Are there any “Must see” places we should be sure to put on our itinerary?

Think that covers it for now. We know we’re asking for a lot of information, so any parts or pieces people can help with is so very much appreciated. We are so looking forward to this whole trip and experience.

Thanks!
It is better to live, than to exist! - Mark Twain paraphrased :)
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

1. Just get a taxi to Red Hook, easy and quick ride to STJ
2. We carry on a small backpack cooler. We have the foodsaver and vac pack chicken. We throw in bacon, a block of good cheddar and that is it. We layer the cooler with newspaper and make sure it is packed tight. Granola bars, nuts, sugar packets, etc in our carry on
3. Wedding? Zozo’s. Hands down. Make a reservation for sunset.
Other restaurants we like:
Rhumblines
Banana Deck
La Tapa
Lime Inn
Deli Grotto for beach sandwiches
4. Low key
5. Renting a dinghy and do we need to book that in advance? I have no idea
6. Good snorkeling locations and any advice about safety (re: coral, etc…)
Pick up a copy of Feet, Fins and 4wd, I think you can but it on this site.
NEVER stand on the coral
7. ?
Check out the book I recommended. Great guide

Sorry about the formatting, I cut and pasted from word
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

sparis, as far as the ferry goes if you get your luggage by 2:15 you have an outside shot at the 3pm ferry out of redhook. It is a good half hour cab ride to the ferry but doable. as far as groceries we have learned over the years to pack a 12 pack Polar Bear cooler with meats and store in one of our checked suitcases and pack coffee, sunblock etc. groceries on the island are more monies mainly due to the importing costs. Most villas supply a decent amount of snorkeling equipment however there are 2 or 3 places to rent such as Cruz Bay watersports right in town. My pick for restaurant would be Zozo's, great food relaxing atmosphere and if timing is right great sunsets. Never done the dingy but I know thats a pretty easy deal to do, relatively inexpensive as well. If you get te chance a trip to Skinny Legs for an island favorite hamburg is a must. Have a great trip.

John
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

When are you all going to be on Island? We'll be there in late May also and can meet you for drinks and share some info if you'd like.

BTW, I second Zozo's for that special meal.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

byado18

Post by byado18 »

Another option for a REALLY special foodie meal would be to have it catered and served in your villa.......

We had a meal by Mathayom http://www.stjohncatering.com/

It was the best meal we've had on island!
sparis

Post by sparis »

Thank's all, some good tips here. What about Asolare, Paradiso, Chloe & Bernards? This will be a very special dinner after our beach ceremony, so looking for something that's truly wow.

And I love the private chef idea, so thanks for that tip. We may do that just for a night another night, as it looks reasonably priced and its a fun thought.

Cheers!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

sparis wrote:Thank's all, some good tips here. What about Asolare, Paradiso, Chloe & Bernards?
Paradiso is no more, I wouldn't recommend Chloe & Bernards, haven't made it Asolare in 8 trips, but ZoZo's is nice.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Chloe and Bernards is also no more....in it's place is Cruz Steak.... which was quite nice.... but for a special meal, Zozo's and Asolare...food and views can't be beat!
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Asolare and Zozo's are both excellent, Asolare is a little more formal, Zozo's a little more personal in my limited experience.

For less formal we love La Tapa, Rhumblines, Ocean Grill and Shipwreck landing, also picnic lunches Deli Grotto.

Ditto on the recommendation of Feet Fins and 4 wheel drive, great information.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

I recomend Rachel's Taxi to Red Hook. Love the sandwiches at Deli Grato for a picnic. Don't miss Salt Pond Bay and Drunk bay for a unique experience(tourist trap for lunch!), but really cool. Great snorkeling,cool hikes, and Drunk bay is so cool! When snorkeling wear a doo rag and a rash guard to keep the burn down, watch for sea urchins, and stay off of the coral (also read the book mentioned).
sparis

Post by sparis »

Well, that explains why Paradiso had a website, but not much info.

Anyone know anything about the Waterfront Bistro? That too looks nice.

And it seems a lot of precautions are needed for the snorkeling. Getting a little nervous. Haven't snorkeled in years and will be on my honeymoon, so don't want to end up with some terrible rash or injury. What's with the coral? Keep hearing to stay away from it...what happens? Sorry to sound stupid on this, but the last time I went snorkeling was on a guided group thing in jamaica about 6 years ago, so just want to be clear.

Why a doo rag? and a rash guard? For sun protection?
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

sparis wrote:Keep hearing to stay away from it...what happens?
Coral is alive; I think it's more animal than plant. So, it's important to not step on it, because all the human impact can kill it. Plus, you might just hurt yourself if you get dragged across coral.
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

The snorkeling is great, we have never worn a doo rag or rash guard and never had a problem, everyone is different, just wear good sunscreen...don't miss out on a snorkel adventure though, the underwater life is wonderful!

As for special restaurants, we also had a very romantic and memorable meal at Equator, at Caneel Bay for our anniversary--really beautiful setting, I believe you can check them out on Caneel's website. It is more formal though, men have to wear collared shirts and pants.

Also on 'don't miss' things, make sure you take a drive - either on your own or in a taxi/bus--up over Bordeaux Mountain and into Coral Bay--such a spectacular drive and many fun places to hang out in Coral Bay. Sit by the water at Island Blues, watch the donkeys and goats crossing the road, grab a blue cheese burger at Skinny Legs, visit da Tourist Trap for a lobster roll...so many great places to see!

Take stroll through Mongoose Junction, quite possibly the prettiest shopping 'mall' anywhere, and while you're there pick up some sandwiches and coconut 'crack bars' (don't ask, just get one!!)at Deli Grotto and take them to the beach for a picnic.

Have a wonderful trip and congratulations!
[/url]
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

here's the best snorkeling advice I can give- 1. stay horizontal (like dead man's float)and not vertical- 2.kick as little as possible. ( it's not a race) when you kick a lot you hit the coral and break it (not good) and make the visibility worse. 3. Go slow! When you slow down , you see more of the little stuff (of big stuff that is hiding)which is often really cool 4. Don't touch - touch breaks coral which takes years to form and some coral can hurt you- if its red it can cause a burning sensation - so for sure don't touch it. 5. Breath calmly.
Some people wear the skin rash guard to protect against sunburn. The doo rag is like a bandana and is worn on the head and can protect against sunburn too.
hope this helps. :)
PS we did get a dinghy right out of the Cruz Bay by the nat'l Park _ I can't remember who we rented from- not my job but my hubby would remember. His name is Augie on this site so send him a message. it was a spectacular day with new friends we met on this Forum and my first ever Eagle ray sighting!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
LindaLa

Post by LindaLa »

On our last trip we went to both Asolare and Waterfront. Both were very, very good, but I think I like Asolare a bit more. They had the best martini I ever had - rosemary simple syrup, grapefruit and vodka. I have come close to replicatingt have not exactly. We are heading back in May and can't wait for another visit there. I was worried about snorkeling also as I hadn't done it in many years. I just loved it. We rented equipment in Cruz Bay for the week. You have to try it. You just need to be careful to stay clear of the coral. It has more to do with the destruction of the coral than about you, although I can see how you can get scratched up if you run in to it. Didn't do the dinghy but had lots of laughs watching people trying to get back into the dinghy. It isn't too easy to do. Lot's of slipping. I don't think I could do it - I'd be laughing too hard.