Trip Report (with pix)

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Great report! Thanks so much for sharing it.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Way to go, Dusty Pete! Nice report, great photos.

Regarding the dolphins....If you've never had an unplanned experience like that, a totally unexpected visit with dolphins, it's so hard to describe the impact. I can tell you it gave me goosebumps reading about it. Years ago, "Splash" would visit Cruz Bay and swim around the boats (including ours). One afternoon she showed up and Ron jumped in and had the experience of a lifetime swimming with her and essentially playing games. (Ask him about it!) I stayed on the boat and was just awestruck by the experience. I still am, though now I ask myself why I didn't jump in there....Years later, you ask yourself, "What was I thinking? That I'd do it next time?"

I'm glad you got that photo of the kids in the steel pan band in the park that day. That was a fun and unexpected treat, also. These kids work really hard and have great leadership. I wish I could get in the loop to know about these events ahead of time.

The National Park events are fabulous. Thanks to the internet, more visitors are able to find out about them ahead of time and participate. If you're interested, there is an interview posted today with Kristin Maize of the Friends of the National Park at
www.on-stjohn.com.

See you next time, Dusty Pete!
-Ruth
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Wonderful report! And the pictures are beautiful...like Ruth said, your story about the dolphins gave me chills, too...what a wonderful memory! Thanks again for sharing with us. And I'm curious, too - how DO you put a conch shell back in the water?
Dusty Pete

Post by Dusty Pete »

The boat trip that we took was sponsored by the Friends of the Park and is only scheduled for once a year. However, on the Sadie Sea's website there is an all-day trip that sounds like pretty much the same thing. Check it out at www.sadiesea.com. Captain Ben is very knowledgeable and a great story-teller. We really enjoyed his stories about growing up on the boat, about some of the locals, and about getting his dog . I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of his trips.

The marine biologist told Bob to return the conch shell by holding it under water and slowly rock it back and forth before returning it to the bottom. This will get rid of any air bubbles that might be inside.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Good report---thanks. Nice picture of Miss Lucy's.
---Jim
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Great report! The dolphins are a "highlight" for me, too.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:33 am.