Great Debate - To take or not to take the 6-year old

Travel discussion for St. John
54b

Great Debate - To take or not to take the 6-year old

Post by 54b »

Sounds heartless, right? What kind of parents would even consider not taking their six-year old to that merry-go-round menagerie of seaside tranquility known as St. John (no offense STT and STX apologists, I mean lovers...I kid, that was a joke).

Anyway, here's the skinny...the wife and I are on trip #4 to STJ this June and I don't think our son is going to buy it again this year when we tell him that going to stay with Grandma and Grandpa's house for a week is waaaaaaay better than some boring island where mommy and daddy go to "do their taxes"...shyeah, riiiigghhhht!

So we'd appreciate it if those of you fabulous forumites who've taken young children to STJ would weigh in on what we can expect, pros, cons, etc. should we take our son, Type A Archer, aka, the "Sharker." (yeah he wants to be a marine biologist when he grows up...I know, I know, how is that we're even asking the question.)

And just so you don't think my wife and I are completely soulless, we have purchased him a plane ticket with miles and cleared it with our villa owners if we do indeed bring him along. Even rented a 4-door jeep instead a 2-door.

Lastly, the kicker...my wife just gave birth to our second kid 3 months ago and was kind of hoping for a trip where we got back to "being us." And I don't blame her, of late, we've become walking palm pilots.

As always, love the forum and thank you in advance for any and all comments, insights and opinions.

54b
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Chris

Post by Chris »

My kids are in there early 20's and I still don't want them there with us. We've reserved STJ as "our time". My obligation is to feed, clothe and provide shelter, except on STJ. We like them to join us at the shore in in the summer or any other place and time, except STJ.
They get over the pain, eventually.
Paul

Post by Paul »

54b,

My situation is the exact opposite of yours. My wife and I are taking our 5th trip down in June and it will be our first trip WITHOUT our daughter. She is now 10, but she is still a little upset that she is not going. All of our previous trips were great. You will spend a lot of time entertaining the little one when you just want to relax. Luckily, my daughter loves to snorkel and we spent countless hours in the water. However, spending ALL day in one spot on one beach was never in the cards. We are looking forward to being able to just hang out, read, drink, etc.
loria

Post by loria »

I love having my kids here--i love to hike with them and to snorkel with them--they see the island thru a different lens and it really can change your insights--that said--it is a different trip with kids than without--more cooking in, more villa time--but the 'hey mom, watch this' or 'WOW a TURTLE' it just doesn't get any better.....(that being said, i just sent my kids home and i am still here...... :wink: )
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

6 is a really neat age...Seriously, we are trip #9...and the 7th trip with the kids. We took our first when she was 11 months old and I JUST found out I was pregnant with #2 (not great timing on many accounts).

My oldest is 7...soon to be 8...and she is the easier of the travelers. My "just turned 6 year old ACTIVE boy" still needs lots of activities to keep him occupied on the plane, in restaurants, etc...He's a big "lets play ball on the beach or in the water" type of kid. Luckily, my husband takes over those "chores"....as he loves it just as much as we do.

We bring down all of their favorite cereals and snacks in a carryon...and anything that will keep them occupied at the villa...match box cars, coloring books, soft nerf like balls, etc...

Once you are there, you are golden....getting there is half the battle. PM me if you want travel specifics...You can even drop mr. Type A off at the kids club at the Westing to have a day to yourselves! They do have babysitters too! And for what it's worth...my daughter is as highly strung/anxious/type A as they come...and we call it her "water therapy"...
MY kids had a great time playing in the sand/water and the tree swing at the beach bar while mom and dad had a fine happy hour! A Win-win situation!

enjoy!
Holly
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

This will be our 4th trip with our 3 boys, now age 7 1/2, 6 and 4 1/2!! My husband and I can only dream of what it would be like on STJ without the little ones. Having said that, I don't think I could leave them behind. (Not yet anyway) :wink: Loria is right, to see the island through their eyes is amazing. I love to snorkel with my 7 y.o and experience his excitement with every new thing he sees..nothing like it. They have their own agenda for this year's trip..places they want to eat and even a jump from the Willy T on our excursion with Capt John!! We share our memories all year long. I must admit, the idea of a STJ vaca without the boys is very tempting, somedays more so than others!! Someday it will be a reality, I'm sure. If my husband had his way, it would be sooner rather than later :)
P-600

Post by P-600 »

If your wife needs a little time alone then nix the kid trip this time. There will be other STJ trips for your little guy to see the turtles. If Mommy ain't happy then nobody's happy :)
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Can't wait until the grand son is 6. That is the age we have planned on taking him. We hope to take the grown up kids next year. But just after a baby... I get what your wife is putting down!!!
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

We have decided that next year we will take our kids for the first time. I am looking forward to seeing STJ thru their eyes. I am also a little sad I will miss my alone time- STJ is a very special place for hubby and I to be alone. We have been fortunate to be able to vacation without the kids. Since you have a new baby your wife may enjoy a little down time. I am sure what ever you decide it will be wonderful.
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

We have done it all. Emma was only 9 weeks old on her first trip to the islands. Daddy couldn't get away so mommy took her solo and we stayed with Grammy & Poppy. We have also traveled with her more than 10 times as a family, but we also like to leave her with babysitters when we are down there. We will be taking her again this August, but hubby & I will be heading over to Little Dix for 5 days while she stays on STJ. Hubby turns 40 and we want a little alone time :wink: :wink: If you feel you need a little alone time vacation, go for it. If you don't think you could stand to be away from them, then that is ok too. I just feel that it is good for Emma to be away from mommy and daddy sometimes, but that is just our opinion. Sometimes us mommies and daddies need a break from Elmo, the Wiggles and the "but why" questions.

Good luck!
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Either with our without will be a good trip just different. For us we always took one trip someplace without the kids. My children always loved their time with grandparents. There were times I would tear up when I would see other children but on the flip side I felt is what we both needed to recharge. For us I feel that is what kept our marriage fresh after 31 years.
msgcolleen

Re: Great Debate - To take or not to take the 6-year old

Post by msgcolleen »

54b wrote:
Lastly, the kicker...my wife just gave birth to our second kid 3 months ago and was kind of hoping for a trip where we got back to "being us." And I don't blame her, of late, we've become walking palm pilots.

54b
I think you answered your own question! 8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
54b

Post by 54b »

Great comments all...much appreciated. And yes, Colleen, I probably did answer my own question.

Lots of upside to both going with and without. Tough call.

Appreciate the insights just the same.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We took our kids last August for the first time..and all in all they did pretty well. I really did expect to hear...Im Bored...and for what Its worth...I think to a certain extent they were, but knowing how we feel about being there.. not too much was said. This yr when we planned another trip without them...once or twice I've heard,I wanna go but nothing major...Each Yr try to plan a few days for us on STJ and then do a family vacation with the kids as well. Nothing expensive in fact we do STJ as less expensive as possible so we can still be able to take another trip with them. To me STJ is "US" time and lord knows my kids really would rather cruise..after a few days of snorkeling...they got restless and tired of it. I can also understand wanting to take them. We went in 09 without them and I felt guilty to the extent I couldnt enjoy myself. (Hence the reason we took them in 10) Mine are alittle older than yours, 13 and 14 and it makes it alittle easier to leave them for a few days...Time alone is nice...but not fun for mom if shes missing her kids... :cry:
[/url]
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Our Son and Daughter now 14 and 11 have been part of our trips to STJ for 9 years in row. They won't even consider going anywhere else for Spring Break and my Daughter has vowed to say her Wedding Vows there.

Mom and dad usually get enough 3 or 4 day mini vacations here and there to accomodate our need for alone time...and even came to STJ last fall for a 5 day tip without the kids...talk about an uprising. We kept thinking about how much we would have loved seeing them enjoying the beach again or chasing the chickens and petting the donkees and enjoying the music, the vibe, the good feelings mom and dad get from being on the island.

They even do a count down to the trip each year...snorkling, dingy rides, time at the pool, seeing the millions of stars at night...