What is wrong with St. Thomas

Travel discussion for St. John
ronbo3107

What is wrong with St. Thomas

Post by ronbo3107 »

Sorry Everyone, but I have to voice an opinion on something. This a USVI forum and all I see is St.John
We have been to both for the last 16 years and I don't see why everyone is all about St.John. Yes it is a very wonderful island with stunning beaches, but so is St. Thomas. We are thinking about buying a condo
there. As long as you stay on the east end it is a wonderful place. I've been to all the bars and night clubs on both places and I really would prefer the ones in Redhook to the ones in cruz bay. I'm not saying anyone needs to commit to St. Thomas but I do think that being this is a USVI forum we should at least let people searching the internet get the real deal. The truth of the matter is the east end of St. Thomas is much cheaper and there is alot of great things to do. If people are on a budget and still want to see a georgous place then this is the answer. I know this will upset alot of you but with these islands trying to survive this recession, all the tourism they can get will help.
brenda

Post by brenda »

I agree, I LOVE St John, but I am looking forward to exploring St Thomas more as well :) .
Going "home" again October 26th!
ronbo3107

Post by ronbo3107 »

Thank you Brenda, I'm not saying anything bad about St.John, I love it there, But I keep reading about the tourist rate dropping and I think that maybe the other island should be talked about a bit more. everyone cannot afford the villas on St.John, but would still like to see the Island. So all i'm saying is give some info and get the people there. Otherwise we will not have an island in paredise anymore. We will just have the ones that bought a villa that no one can afford any longer.
dtenel
Location: My feet are in Michigan....My heart is in St. Thomas

Post by dtenel »

I agree! I love this forum, but I wish there was more about STT. We go every year to STT for 2 weeks and do not even venture over to STJ anymore. I think it has beautiful beaches and all, but STT has captured my heart ever since my first time there when I was in kindergarden.....about 30 years ago. When the time comes closer for retirement, hubby and I have already decided we will winter on STT. No offense at all intended to STJ or all you STJ lovers out there.....just wish we had more STT die hards here!
austinill

Post by austinill »

We are going to STT this Tuesday and I visit this forum and also go to two other forums that talk about STT and not just STJ. This site has become a big site for STJ enthusiasts to congregate and I am not about to tell them to stop. :)

So, I go to one or both of these to discuss STT

http://www.vinow.com/wwwtalk/list.php?4

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1 ... lands.html
ronbo3107

Post by ronbo3107 »

maybe we will see you there, we will be on island sat
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Yes over the years this forum did become more and more St. John centric - I had forever wanted to have 3 separate forums for the three main U.S. Virgin Islands, but consistently was asked not to by the users. Unfortunately now it seems St. Thomas and St. Croix lovers either seemed crowded out, or just don't even start asking questions since most of the discussion is about St. John. Maybe it is time to finally do it? Have a main forum for each island? What do people think?
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Anthony - I think you have a great forum and a wide readership - having a STJ forum would be detrimental to the USVI feeling - many STT visitors do spend some time on STJ and this forum is invaluable for a large spectum of readers -- for all islands.

Maybe a STJ Villa lovers forum would be a split off that is worth the effort as they still can argue the pool temperatures, waffle iron availability, thread count, staircase locations, drive ways, AC coldness, and other very important issues while the visitors who find STT,STJ and STX enjoyable without such basic trivialities can continue to offer helpful and useful help for interested 1st timers and veterans alike.
Information on all 3 Islands should not have to searched out and maybe can promote a little different viewpoint than 3 or more separate forums.

There was a serious mention of a "club" that very few of the other loyal posters are not a part of, so maybe that group would enjoy their own expression on a forum dedicated to their back slapping camaraderie?
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

Exit Zero wrote:maybebe a split off that is worth the effort as they still can argue the pool temperatures, waffle iron availability, thread count, staircase locations, drive ways, AC coldness, and other very important issues while the visitors who find STT,STJ and STX enjoyable without such basic trivialities can continue to offer helpful and useful help for interested 1st timers and veterans alike.
Information on all 3 Islands should not have to searched out and maybe can promote a little different viewpoint than 3 or more separate forums.
I am not sure that the "club" of people who post on the forum regularly only talk about pool temperatures, waffle irons, etc....I have been to the VI's 9 times (well, this will be my 9th trip)...2 of them we stayed on STT, 1 trip on Water Island, and the 6 other times we were on STJ...camping twice, condo-ing 2x, and a very low end villa the last time. I just want to clarify that there a bunch of people on the forum that seek information, get good tips, etc....and are not at all concerned with the things you mentioned above. As you can tell, we don't have a large budget to stay at any high end places...but we find ways to make it down there to make memories.

We happen to be STJ people...just because. We just prefer that island over the others. I wouldn't mind 3 different forums...but I don't think any sort of "club" should be instituted....that is just seriously...well....high school.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Just a couple of points:

1. Let's not see this thread get out of control :)

2. Nothing is wrong with St. Thomas

3. I think that the islands differences (more hotels, and more cruise visitors on St. Thomas for example) tend to skew the user base a little bit as to what people come to a forum to find. We do have a large amount of people here who come to St. John over and over again, and some of them get into the tiny details - where for St. Thomas, with the above stated differences, may not get so many questions like "What kind of knife set does X villa have?" but more "What do I do for the day" - the first type of question is from a "regular" - and the second would be more from a one hitter - someone looking for an answer to one question, one time. Registration (which everyone has now) and search engines (if you can't Google "What to do on St. Thomas" by now...) have cut these kinds of questions down - and that to me is another reason you don't see St. Thomas and St. Croix discussed here as much. Again - I think this is all part of the "pro" reason why individual (notice I changed to individual from separate - because it is still the same forum!) forums would in the long term benefit of this place...
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

Well put Anthony! :wink: ...

Thanks for doing such a great job with our online community!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

1. There is NOTHING wrong with STT.
2. For whatever reason, the STJ junkies have found a home here.
3. If Anthony wants individual forums, then great, if not, that is great too.

Just because there is not a lot of chatter here about STT or STX or WI, doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with them. The beauty of the USVI is that all 4 islands are very different from each other. It allows people that enjoy different things an island paradise no matter what island they choose.

If more folks talk about other islands here, then great! I am all for it. VI travel is my favorite thing to talk about, and if more of the STT or STX fans start talking, they may just teach some of the STJ junkies a thing or two about the other islands.

The only club here is the one made up of people that have an obsession with STJ, not a bad thing in my book, but that is all I can say about that!

Thanks Anthony!
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Speaking for myself and only myself, probably nothing, to each his/her own. I prefer St. John to STT or STX but also to Jamacia, St.Barts, Tortola, Mexico and any other island I have visited but that's just because it fits what "I" want out of a vacation and not because there is anything wrong with any other place. I loved staying on Grace Bay in Provo, Turks & Caicos, it is an awesome beach but doesn't have the same feel without all the mountain vistas being that it's a flat island. T & C can also make St. John look like a reasonably priced vacation. I brag about St. John alot, maybe if the STT & STX fans would promote what they like about "their" favorite place it would entice others to check it out. I have been to both STT & STX, "I" just perfer STJ for the small island feel I don't get from any other island I've been to. Just my honest opinion and that doesn't make me a STT or STX hater, just some one who loves St. John.
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

Anthony, I think three is a great idea. I think many folks looking for information on STT or STX will not stay here long because it's just too hard to find much information here. And they likely won't return. If three forums happens, I would suggest an option to "search" all islands at once and that there are buttons to other islands easily accessible from each forum to encourage surfing of all three. While I am a STJ person, I have stayed on STT several time and could offer advice for first-timers, but I'm not likely to get there if the forums are not well integrated.
wishiwasinthevi

Post by wishiwasinthevi »

I LOVE St Thomas. I love St John too, but I have a different feeling when I'm on St Thomas, I feel like I'm home, like I belong there. I know that's cheesy, but I can't wait until the day comes when we move there.
We normally stay on St John for a couple reasons, either we're at Caneel, because its a family tradition in my husband's family to stay there and often his whole extended family will go on a trip there or because we're staying somewhere else on the island and renting a Jeep- my husband will drive on St John, but he won't drive on St Thomas. And that's saying alot, because he's driven emergency vehicles (fire engines, fire truck and ambulances) for 19 years now. And it's alot cheaper to rent a jeep on St John than it is to pay cab fare for 4 people for a week on St Thomas. And while it may end up evening-out to stay somewhere cheaper on St Thomas and pay for cab fare atleast with a jeep rental we have a fixed cost and we know what it is going to cost us for the week.
And we really like Emerald Beach Resort, they've renovated the rooms, the beach is beautiful and the pool is nice, but with tax it's $425 a night for two rooms for us and the kids,so when you add in cab fare, it's cheaper for us to stay in St John and rent a jeep for a week.
But I do think it's a shame that St Thomas is often discounted by many travellers.