Villas advice - final - Winsome House, Coconuts or Serenity?

Travel discussion for St. John
sparis

Villas advice - final - Winsome House, Coconuts or Serenity?

Post by sparis »

Thanks to all that have given me fantastic tips and ideas on villas. You have all been so awesome, so much so that I hate to ask any more questions, but I've narrowed it to three and thought I'd throw it out to this great forum.

Winsome House - I have seen no reviews on this one. Its rented by Destination St. John. Anyone have familiarity with this one. It's really nice (now has airconditioning) and is on Ajax Peak - which I like for the views and the privacy and the convenience to the beaches. BUT - I've heard, no sunset views - is this true, not at all?

Coconuts - I've heard good things about this one, but worried that despite the renovation, it is a bit worn? The sunset views though make it sound worthwhile. Any more opinions on this one.

Serenity - This one is super spacious and more modern than coconuts, right on the edge of Maria's Bluff - but it comes at a premium and am trying to figure out is it worth $400-$500 more or should I save that money for dinner's out.

Would ove a panoramic view - anyone know an affordable vila with something like that?

Thanks so much all again and my goal is to be booking something by tomorrow afternoon and then start preparing to relax. :)
RD

Post by RD »

My wife and I stayed at Coconuts about 4 years ago. Cost was one of the reasons we stayed there and it met our needs just fine. The villa is private, the pool area is great and the sunsets are awesome! The old hot tub was still there then but we honestly didn't use it a lot. The kitchen area is small and the fact that it is mostly open air is interesting but it was all we needed. I don't remember from your previous post how many are in your group but for 2 it is a great villa that we would go back to again. If the group is larger, the other two bedrooms are smallish (one being in the loft over the living area) and especially in the case of the 2nd bedroom would require using the AC. If the villa has been recently renovated like you say it is likely in better shape now than it was 4 years ago when we were there. I hope that helps a little.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

What are your dates? Have you looked at Sea Cruz. Great rental company. http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/seacruz.html

Of the other three, Serenity would be my first choice. Being on Maria Bluff is just freakin' beautiful. If you are leaning towards Winsome House, Destination St. John may give you a free night or discount. I've had good luck with that. I don't think Vacation Vistas will budge, but it never hurts to ask. I don't know anything about Coconuts, but I'm with you...I like a nice up to date villa. If the furniture is faded and worn or the kitchen is old, I'm not too happy. But that's just me. Winsome House will not have sunsets, but the view is great, just not right over the water like Serenity. I also like being close to town, and Maria Bluff is a snap drive.

I'll keep looking if I know your dates and budget. I love to villa hunt. :D Again, don't be afraid to swallow your pride and ask for a discount.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I looked at CV's website for Coconuts.With the exception of new cushions on the LR sofa it looks exactly the same as it looked 6 years ago, so I'm a little unclear what the renovations covered. It seems they updated some of the electronics. I would ask CV if they would send some new pictures.
sparis

Thanks Sailorgirl

Post by sparis »

Yeah, I think that I misunderstood, they are doing a bunch of renovations, but most will happen after my trip dates. So, we won't get those renovations. It still looks very cute, but dated.

Back to the other choices :)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We've looked at Winsome house but the bedrooms are in a separate building, which we don't care for, are you ok with that?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
sparis

Winsome House

Post by sparis »

Teresa-Rae - Yeah that doesn't bother us so much. Our real decision is if we want to be up on Ajax Peak with great views, but all easternly with close access to the north beaches, but not so close access to Cruz Bay. Could make it difficult for me to get my hair and nails done on the special day :). Obviously being near Chocolate Hole, etc....makes that easier.

Thanks for your reply.
It is better to live, than to exist! - Mark Twain paraphrased :)
sparis

We chose Serenity and are very happy

Post by sparis »

Thanks to all of you for your great tips and advice. I've never been on such a nice forum. We finally chose and we're going to Villa Serenity on Maria's Bluff. We were able to talk our way into a better price and as such closed the gap between villa costs some. And really, we knew we wanted a villa on the water so now we have it.

BTW: Lisa Durgin of Vacation Vistas is awesome and I highly recommend her as someone to rent from. I haven't even gone on the trip yet and know I'm very happy I rented from her.

I'll be back on here soon to start askign questions about restaurants and activities, but for now I'm looking forward to our lovely villa. Cheers!
It is better to live, than to exist! - Mark Twain paraphrased :)
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

outstanding, I love the hammock!
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Yea!! You're gonna love the location! Good job sparis! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]