I'm a little worried because we don't snorkel...

Travel discussion for St. John
Need2GetAway

I'm a little worried because we don't snorkel...

Post by Need2GetAway »

We are going to St John for the first time in April. It seems like if we don't snorkel we're going to be in trouble! lol. We'll give it a try of course, but...we've never done it before and we're not even sure we're good enough swimmers.

Do you think it's fun to go on a charter day trip if it's not focused on snorkeling?

Tell me we won't feel left out...

THANKS.
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

There are lots of trails to hike. Lots of beaches to see. And lots of ruins to explore. But try snorkeling. I can barely swim, but use a snorkle vest and can snorkel for hours. There is so much to see, it is fascinating. If you can lay on your stomach with you face in the water and breathe through your mouth you can snorkel. :P
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Not at all! My husband is not a snorkeler at all so I have just been snorkeling the last few trips when my oldest child got interested. We visited STJ over 10 times, with tons of boat trips, with no snorkeling. Never felt left out at all. Spent lots of time beach hopping, "noodling", and enjoying cocktails :wink: It's still a FANTASTIC day, with plenty to do, even without snorkeling.

However I definitely recommend giving it a try just to see if you like it- there's no better place! I'll let the more experienced snorkelers recommend some safe easy places to try it, either from the beach or a boat. Have fun!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I rarely snorkel. Our last trip I did not even bring my gear. We took a trip over to Jost with Palm Tree Charters and didn't snorkel and had a blast!

It is very easy to snorkel and you do not have to be a strong swimmer, I am not at all.

You can rent a vest and gear at Low Key Watersports for a day and give it a shot. If it works for you, then try another beach, if you don't like it, you don't have to do it again, but you will still love the beaches!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

My mother can barely swim and we can't get her out of the water on vacation. She snorkels for hours at a time wearing a life vest. (She is comfortable doing this and someone is always available to tow her with a noodle if she gets tired.) So don't be afraid to give it a try.

Capt Phil on the Wayward Sailor is an excellent teacher.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Wow! Thanks everybody. I feel better already. I'm definitely renting a vest. hahaha

A question about the charters - if you are hanging on a beach, or a bar, or whatever, does the captain hang out with you? (Which would be fine, I'm just trying to picture the whole thing.)

Thanks.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Need2GetAway wrote:Wow! Thanks everybody. I feel better already. I'm definitely renting a vest. hahaha

A question about the charters - if you are hanging on a beach, or a bar, or whatever, does the captain hang out with you? (Which would be fine, I'm just trying to picture the whole thing.)

Thanks.
It depends. We have chartered each trip. Only once did the captain and mate hang out with us the entire time. Every other time the crew hung back with the attitude of "we are here as much or as little as you need/want us." It probably depends on the captain's personality. A good one will be able to read his guests and know if they want a running commentary about VI facts (my husband asks million questions) or if you just want to chill with your companions.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

If you go with Palm Tree Charters, Capt. John Brandi is the best to hang out with. We look forward to seeing him every year. It would not be as much fun without him at Soggy Dollar on Jost.
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Yeah, Captain John had a good way of hanging with us and then letting us just hang out by ourselves at times. He's got plenty of stories to keep it interesting for a day (at least). We paid for him at Pirate's and the Willy T, including lunch, and enjoyed his company. Things are little foggier by the time we made it to the Soggy Dollar, but I think we bought him a Presidente there too. He filmed us for a while and then kind of disappeared while my wife and I just enjoyed White Bay.

Don't be afraid to ask him for suggestions - he'll do whatever you want, but if he has an idea what you like he'll design a trip you'll enjoy for sure.
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

2 of our 3 couples snorkel.....the non snorkelers just hang out, and drink, and chat with the captain and they don't make us feel rushed at all which is really nice...I agree with other posters, give snorkeling a try (but maybe from the beach first)...you just may love it!! But don't feel badly if you don't 8) No worries mon!!!!!!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

The best places to start are Trunk and Hawksnest. Trunk has a marked course with underwater signs. Hawks nest is an easy reef to snorkel. For a good deal of it you can swim along side of it over the sand and it is shallow enough to stand if you like. Do not stand up on the coral. It is very fragile and will break and die if that happens.

Try it. I think you will like it. It will give you a new appreciation of what is going on under the surface.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Thought I would chime in here being that I am a non-swimmer (took 1 set of swimming lessons when I was 8-yrs-old and that has been it for my entire life). I'm the kind of person that panicks when I know I cannot touch the bottom of a swimming pool.

I tried snorkelling for the 1st time at Maho Bay. I had a very seasoned snorkeller with me so I felt okay but still apprehensive and we had an agreement that we would stay within very, very close proximity to one another just in case I felt panicked. I don't remember anything about that first snorkel at Maho. I think I was just trying to focus on not panicking and how to breath through the snorkel. My partner did start me on shore with no flippers, just a snorkel and mask and sticking my head in the water to get the hang of it.

Over the course of two weeks I saw so many beautiful, amazing colours under those Caribbean waters. I think it was Honeymooon that was my favourite snorkel of all -- way off ot the left.

I agree on the Noodle too. For a non-swimmer, it was the one way I felt I could safely enjoy the water.

Also, as a non-swimmer, there is NO WAY I would have ever jumped off a boat in the middle of an ocean to snorkel. Even when I went with Capt'n Phil I didn't go in the water. Just too scary for me and I was the only person on his boat who asked for a life jacket. They looked at me and I had to assure them that I was dead serious.

On my 2nd trip, I invested in a snorkel vest which made me feel more secure.
~Brenda~
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

That is NOT an issue at all, as long as you enjoy beautiful scenery you will have a GREAT time!
toni

Post by toni »

You do not have to be a snorkler to love St John. Neither husband nor myself are swimmers, but on occasion we've rented vests and gone out, and enjoyed ourselves. We went out with capt Phil once and husband stayed on the boat while Phil taught me how to snorkel and that was a BIG thing for me to go where I couldnt touch bottom. We love stj though, it's just amazingly peaceful for us.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I absolutely love to snorkel but it's just the icing on the cake for me when it comes to STJ. I could be perfectly content to vacation there every year, or preferably multiple times a year, for the rest of my life and never snorkel again and it would still be worth going.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain