beach wedding - morning or sunset??

Travel discussion for St. John
beachy

beach wedding - morning or sunset??

Post by beachy »

I'll be married in a very small ceremony in St. John at the end of June 2011. We are trying to decide between a morning or sunset wedding. Opinions on which is better? Better photos? I am worried about bugs, heat and crowds in the evening, but the morning seems really early-- especially for hair and makeup. :)
Thanks for any help you can offer!
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

sunset! Beaches are usually not crowded then, and the light is amazing. I get much better photos then. Give the guests cans of Off tied in pretty bows. Bugs are dependent on how much rain has come the few weeks prior...
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Sunset, of course! 8)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Sunset for sure in late June! Most people get off the beach by around 3-4 PM anway. Sunset in June is closer to 4:30-5 ish. You won't have the beach all to yourself but people won't be all around you either.

What beach are you thinking of? Oh, and congratulations! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

My daughter got married about 9ish in the morning on Megans Bay and have to say it was gorgeous. The sun was coming up and the reflection off the beautiful turquois water was stunning. It was early enough that the beach had few people milling about and the cruise ship passengers had not arrived yet. May I suggest to keep the hair and make up light as it is hot in June. Congratulations to you both and whatever you choose it will be lovely. Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

My vote is for morning.
Less bugs "nosee-ums" and you'll have the rest of the day and night for you and yours, as well as the bridal party to celebrate.
Congratulations!
Which beach did you choose?
Have a wonderful time!
Smiles-
MJ
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Personally I would do early in the morning. Cooler. Not buggy. AND you have the whole day to enjoy post-Wedding vs. spending the whole day waiting to get married...but that's just me.

Of course, this comes from a girl who got married at 7pm! Man that was a long day.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Another vote for sunset. We got married on 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman on sunset and the lighting in the photos is gorgeous.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Congrats!
We were married at sunset on Trunk in 2003...I agree with the others...the beach is less crowded...we had no issues with bugs either...so...Which beach will the ceremony take place...
kma27

Post by kma27 »

My daugher got married at Magens Bay beach back in October 2007 right before sunset and it was perfect! Most of the people are gone from the beaches at that time if they are on the cruise ships. Her pictures were perfect! A day they will never forget.

Good luck to you!
Aqua Addict

Post by Aqua Addict »

I would suggest morning. We were married on Cinnamon Bay May 20th at sunset a few years ago. There was 8 people in our group. It was gorgeous. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it in the a.m. After the ceremony ended,we wanted to hang out at the beach for a while. Unfortunately, it was cut short by the invasion of the bugs as soon as the sun went down. They were bad. The "no see'ums" won that night.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I saw a wedding being performed on Hawksnest in the morning and it was beautiful. The beach was not crowded. The Bride, Groom and guests all put thier suits on and played in the water all day. They had coolers filled with cocktail that kept flowing. Looked like they were having a blast. My kind of reception!
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

We got married at sunset two summers ago on the East End. It had been a bit overcast that day, but about 20 minutes before the ceremony, the sky cleared and we got the picture perfect sunset into the mountains behind us across Hansen Bay.
Anne Marie officiated and it was joyful.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

I follow a couple of STJ photographers and ooohh and aaahhh at their photos. The one thing that I wonder about the sunset ceremonies is the big rush to get the right shots before the sun goes down. I realize the best photos can come about 20 minutes after the sun has set but my recollection is darkness comes so fast in the Caribbean. For photo ops obviously a morning wedding would allow for more time.

One morning before 9:00 AM I was sitting on Cinnamon Bay drinking my coffee and my eye caught a couple and Anne Marie and a photographer. The ceremony was performed and it looked so beautiful. I had my DSLR and took lots of pics right from my beach chair. After the ceremonial kiss I applauded and the groom walked up to me and said "This is the ONLY way to get married!"

Congratulations!
~Brenda~
rpurkey

Post by rpurkey »

Well, that ought to clear it up for ya. 6 votes for morning and 7 votes for evening!!! :lol:

obviously, adv. and disadv. to both. i would suggest going with your first instinct...