Beer types/price on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
rpurkey

Beer types/price on STJ

Post by rpurkey »

Anxiously awaiting my first 'real' trip to STJ in Feb.

Question about the types and cost of the beer...

How limited is the selection and in general what are the prices per 6/pack, case or whatever.

Thanks in advance....
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

Awesome, first question is "what about the beer"?! You have your priorities perfect :)

All sorts of beer from what I saw last trip - Bud, coors, etc up to Corona. Prices were just slightly higher than they are up here, but not too bad. Alcohol seems to be the only commodity on the island that isn't painfully priced.
pmk

Post by pmk »

The gourmet shop across the hall from the Starfish Market has a decent selection, everything from 12-packs of cheap and watery Coors Light to Sierra Nevada IPA (they ran out of Celebration Ale early last week). The Sierra was selling for about $9-something a 6-pack.

The "local" brew is St. John Brewers. Their Island Hopping IPA is pretty decent and they have a Tap Room in Mongoose Junction. I put "local"in quotes because I think much of their stock is actually contract brewed by Shipyard (Portland ME). Regardless, it's definitely nice to support local brews. Look for this label:

http://singlespeedphoto.com/img/s1/v22/p309851558-4.jpg

pmk
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Ah, Beer.

St John Brewers has a public face called the Tap Room. Sit in air conditioned comfort while others shop at Mongoose Junction.

Carib is brewed in Trinidad and Tobago and is a popular island brew.

Presidente from the Dominican Republic is a good brew and the local places often sell for a couple of bucks on the street.

Then there's the Guiness Foreign Export Stout that you can't find in the states.

Remember not to bring bottles on the beach. not only is it uncool, it's illegal.
rpurkey

Post by rpurkey »

Steve S wrote:Ah, Beer.

Remember not to bring bottles on the beach. not only is it uncool, it's illegal.
ok...that brings up another question. do they sell cans?
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Lots of choices on can selections too! A case of Corona cans at Starfish gourmet in December - $34
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I've gotten Carib in cans (dainty 10. something ozs)

Heineken cans are everywhere as are most of the American brews.

Presidente is available in cans.

No St. John Brewers or other micro brews are in cans though. :(
kklay

Post by kklay »

We found beer in cans at most the markets - Starfish, Dolphin, Pine Peace. We had a large group so we were buying 12 packs/cases at a time. I believe a case of Bud Lite ran about $24.00/$25.00. Our group rented our vehicles on St. Thomas and we provisioned at Cost-U-Less. A case of Bud Lite - cans was $19.00. We've kept all our receipts from the last trip and I'm compiling a spreadsheet comparison STT to STJ for future reference! :)