where would you go?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
loria

where would you go?

Post by loria »

My sister is taking my kids for a weekend in April (patriots day wkend)--we'll drop the kids on April 15th with her and then were going to take off for the weekend--
we can fly out of Logan or drive from boston--
but to where??? I prefer warm--so i was thinking Bermuda .... or bahamas (but that might take too long? ) where would you go for a romantic long weekend???
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
lprof

Post by lprof »

Savannah
... no longer a stranger to paradise
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Are you looking for warm and beach? You could go non-stop to several Florida airports. Check-out Sanibal or Captiva. That is school vacation week in MA, so flights will book early.

Looking for quiet? Drop the kids off and drive to Cape Cod. You can get good rates off-season. I like Chatham in the spring.
janet
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

If you are willing to fly, your options are nearly limitless! The great news about air travel is you can cover so much ground so quickly.

I'd start with where you can get direct flights out of Boston, or at least where you can get in a half-day travel. That gives you the list to consider.

In April, you're going to get pretty warm weather in Florida - south of Orlando/Tampa/Daytona Beach line. Maybe go to Ft. Myers and stay on Sanibel. I've heard that's really a great place. Can be a really simple little weekend with the beach, some local restaurants and lots of time together.

I personally would do that in lieu of a "Big International" trip. Keep it really simple.

Anyway - Good Luck! Have Fun!!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Hi Loria.

If you need any information on Sanibel/Captiva, just let me know. One of our favorite places. Friends just spend 4 days there. They LOVED it!..It's one of those places where you just can't go wrong.

It's really a laid back place, but has plenty of restaurants/bars and shopping if you're into that.

They Keys are great too. I prefer Islamorada or Marathon.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Bermuda. Quick 2 hour flight to paradise.
Heather

Post by Heather »

Charleston, SC or The Sanctuary on Kiawah
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Friends went to Fager Island last year don't know what the weather would be that time of the year

http://www.fagers.com/
Tom
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

One more vote for Bermuda. Direct flight. Prettier water than any of the US coastal spots (which are also nice). Second choice would be the Bahamas (maybe Harbour Island), but it will take longer to get there.
---Jim
spindrift

Post by spindrift »

West Palm Beach

A favorite place of ours to visit is West Palm Beach and is a direct 3-hour flight out of Boston.

One of the best restaurants and very romantic (superb French dining) is Café Boulud located in The Brazilian Court Hotel; reasonable 3 course prix fixe lunch or splurge on dinner or have cocktails in the lounge with entertainment on Thurs. and Fri. nights.

Another great hotel and lounge/bar is in the Hotel Biba (described as sexy-chic) in West Palm.

Historical Walking Tours

Norton Museum of Art (West Palm)

Stroll Worth Avenue at night

Beaches, but will probably be a bit chilly in April
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Bermuda - for sun and sand
Charleston - for charm and warmth
Savannah - for charm and warmth
New Orleans - for charm, warmth, fun
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

when is the last time you played tourist in NYC? just sayin :)
Love that town!
loria

Post by loria »

wow--all great ideas! keep them coming-- i LOVE to research travel so you guys have given me alot to work with!!

@MBW--i think we need to get outta dodge.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

To comment on Spindrift's suggestion :

West Palm Beach is warm and beachy in mid-April. Spent a lot of time there visiting Mom.
janet
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Loria, as a frequent (15+ times) Bermuda visitor, I must say NO to April if you are hoping to swim. The water will be too cold then. If you like golfing and hiking and flowers, then yes. But no for swimming.

I have photos from my Bermuda honeymoon (beginning of June) where John and I are on the beach completely covered with towels, like blankets. Seriously, the beach staff would be waiting for us to get out of the water and then wrap us all tight to ward off the cold (and then bring us a beer :wink: ). We went on a snorkeling excursion and literally turned blue!

I'm booked for Bermuda this August. For April, I'd consider Sanibel/Captiva instead.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.