cooking ideas please

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
djmom

cooking ideas please

Post by djmom »

I have two friends with cancer and I have miraculously been able to schedule to bring both of them dinner the same day!

But...they are not allowed to have raw vegetables. I was thinking about making chicken parmesan. I know broccoli would go well but I just hate the idea of them opening up the broccoli to that broccoli smell!

So any ideas for a cooked green veggie dish that won't smell bad? Does broccolini smell better?

I don't' think either family eats adventurously, so asparagus is out.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

what about putting it over sauteed spinach? or a spinach salad for the side? oh oops no raw. scratch that salad idea.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Do you think bruschetta would work? I could make some toast and just give a jar of the Trader Joes bruschetta and a jar of their artichoke spread? Is that too impersonal?

Or stuffed mushrooms? But I have never made them before...
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

bruschetta seems like too much tomato stuff.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Yeah, I know. I'm stumped.
djmom

Post by djmom »

What about this, or is it too rich? Then again, at least one couple is wasting away and could probably use some extra calories.

Spinach Gratin - Ina Garten

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 (10-ounce) packages)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Guyuere Cheese
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 45 minutes
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

what about roasting broccoli. I do that and when it is done I toss with fresh lemon juice and grated parmesan.
djmom

Post by djmom »

does it have that broccoli smell or does the roasting help? I don't care about the smell at home, just for the recipient.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

it doesn't smell the same as steaming.
also it recipient really in charge of meals right now? aren't there family members taking care of that kind of stuff? just a thought that maybe she won't actually be taking care of serving the meal.

that's all I have on ideas! good luck!
djmom

Post by djmom »

by the way, thanks Mary Beth for your help! The broccoli sounds very yummy and will try for my family, and maybe for this thing too.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Green beans - cooked, with butter and slivers of almonds...
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

What a lovely thought. Chicken parm sounds great, but if they are having any type chemo or radiation therapy the red sauce may be too acidic. :( Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
djmom

Post by djmom »

Never thought about that. Last time I brought Ina Gartens turkey meatloaf.

I hate to bring something I have never cooked before. Would a smoked beef tenderloin be good? I thought about that but then it really needs to be medium rare I would think. Especially if they might heat it up later. So I am wondering if medium rare is bad for someone in chemo, like the veggies.

Almost everything I cook is pretty spicy.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I was just about to say exactly what Laura just said--if they are still having treatments, tomatoes are probably not a good idea. Some people get mouth sores from chemo. Also, food can smell different to cancer patients and many people develop aversions to things they would normally eat. If that is the case with your friends, I would go with something fairly bland and smooth. Mashed potatoes, a simple roasted chicken, and steamed green beans might be a good choice for a tolerable meal. It's not overly exciting, but it is nutritious and easy to digest.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I did most of the cooking for my grandmother during her cancer treatments. I wish I was at home because I still have a binder with all the recipes she wanted repeated.

I do remember making a dish similar to djmom's but I put it on a bed of rice and topped it with sliced grilled chicken breasts.

For her, one-dish type of meals worked well because she could scoop out just what she felt she could eat at the time and save the rest for later. Therefore, I tried to get protein, veggies and carbs all in one dish.

She particularly liked pasta with loose sausage and cooked green and red (cooked) pepper strips, all tossed with olive oil, italian seasonings and lots of parm cheese. It was so simple to make, I always put a pound of that in the cooler.