Spirit Air

Travel discussion for St. John
Tracy in WI

Spirit Air

Post by Tracy in WI »

Just got a time change notice for our flights to St. Thomas in January. Well instead of an hour or two here and there, they switched two full days! Instead of travelling on the 12th, we are now travelling on the 13th. And our return scheduled for the 19th has been moved to the 20th. Hmmm. I think I need to make a phone call or two..... :evil:
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Twenty minutes on the phone and the flight that we booked no longer exists and Spirit will not compensate any passengers for a schedule change on their end. Nothing for an additional night in a hotel or change fees with hotel bookings or car rentals. However, if I were to call to change my reservation I would incur a nice fee.

Fortunately, we have flexibility in our schedule and with our lodging (since we own it) but for others, this really sucks.

I will never book Spirit again.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

That really is unbelievable. You're right, for many travelers, this would be a major problem.

What happened to the flyer's 'bill of rights'?

Lovermont
RickG

Post by RickG »

This is a pretty standard business practice for Spirit. They're not shy about admitting it either. We try to avoid them, but sometimes when four of us are traveling in the summer it saves enough to justify.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Oh My Gosh....I hate that for you..We fly them and so far(knock on wood) haven't had any troubles...Its kinda like Rick said "its makes sense for us to save a bundle and take a chance. Would they not offer a refund at least?
[/url]
dctac

Post by dctac »

I've used spirit for the past 5 years and haven't had a prob. Make's me wonder....but it's a local airport (AC) for me and save's the big city hassle......and they say non stop flights in a year or so........I must say I think the Big front seats are a deal...............I flew on US air once to the Islands and was used ,abused and spit out before going spirit.....
cmw5682

Post by cmw5682 »

I just got an email with with the promo code 35off you can save 35 per ticket as long as you book tonight (feel free to use the code). I was just getting ready to book our June flight which with the promo would make it only $101 each way per ticket. It's a fantastic deal, but now I'm a little apprehensive... should I take the plunge and reserve?!?!
Sadly, I am tickerless :(
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

We've flown Spirit the last two out of five years. Three hours drive time from Columbia to Myrtle Beach vs 1 hour drive time to Charlotte on USAir. We are going back to USAir out of CLT for two weeks in June, 2011. Spirit's seats and leg room are hard to deal with and the Ft. Lauderdale connection leaves a lot to be desired. I don't care...I'll pay more for a direct flight from CLT. I know a lot of people like Spirit for the savings, but I love the direct 4 hour flight. Guess I'm spoiled, huh?
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

We fell for the low price too and we could get a refund - at first they offered a credit, like I'd want to do that! But, researching other flights, it would cost three of us over $500 more to book with another airline. We're going to suck it up and change our plans this time.

I won't use them again - they shouldn't sell you a ticket for a flight that might not take place. I think we all book our trips based on cost to an extent - the cost of the flight can dictate what you can spend on lodging. So to have this happen can really throw a wrench in plans and budgeting.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Whoooooooooooaaaaa. Hang on here. You are telling me that they canceled your flight(s)and cannot/will not fly you out on your reserved dates AND they will not refund you?

Are you kidding me? Really?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Whoooooooooooaaaaa. Hang on here. You are telling me that they canceled your flight(s)and cannot/will not fly you out on your reserved dates AND they will not refund you?

Yes sometime tings are just not what they seem and there is no effective recourse - BOHICA.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Whoooooooooooaaaaa. Hang on here. You are telling me that they canceled your flight(s)and cannot/will not fly you out on your reserved dates AND they will not refund you?

Marcia - At first they offered a credit for a future trip and I wouldn't accept that so they offered a refund. Since flights on other airlines were so much more for our original dates, we're going to stay with Spirit for now and change our lodging and car rental to the dates Spirit has decided work for them.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I have no desire to fly Spirit Airlines ever. I know they are cheap but sometimes it's worth it to pay a little extra to geta higher level of service IMHO.

Glad everything worked out though and you're right, at least you don't have to mess with villa rental!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Tracy in WI wrote:

Marcia - At first they offered a credit for a future trip and I wouldn't accept that so they offered a refund. Since flights on other airlines were so much more for our original dates, we're going to stay with Spirit for now and change our lodging and car rental to the dates Spirit has decided work for them.
Phew. Thanks for the clarification. It still sucks but, it's okay since you have the flexibility on dates. We haven't flown Spirit in years. When we did, it was actually a pretty great experience (did the "big front seats" thing back in the day, when they gave you free cocktails and food). Our new favorite airline is AirTran. They don't fly into STT but if they did, they'd make a killing.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

OMG! We are flying Spirit from Ft. LAuderdale to STT and back the first part of January. we allowed a whole overnight for flight changes but not days! I hope they don't screw ours up too!