Bad news/ good news

Travel discussion for St. John
traveler22

Bad news/ good news

Post by traveler22 »

Forum friends,
Just 2 weeks ago at the age of 47, a tumor was found in my brain. A Biospy was planned but there were compilcations, emergency surgery was performed with 60% of the tumor removed with radiation plannned for the rest. I feel pretty good and very lucky having not lost any sight or motor function. As I was researching the term "Glioma" (brain tumor) my wife told me to stop looking at all that stuff and book us back to St. John. So we will be returning for some rest and relaxation with our good friend "in the system" at Brisas Del Mar in Coral Bay Feb.15-23. I cant wait to just get back and sit on Honeymoon beach and relax, my brain has been in hyper- drive for 2 weeks now just processing everything. We have nevered stayed on the Coral Bay side, just visited, usually staying in the Klein Bay area. What will be the main differences and any suggestion or ideas would be appreciated. Got to go make a ticker now :)
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I have no info for you as far as STJ...just wanted to offer you a virtual hug and prayers...I am glad you and your wife are going back to the islands for some quality time...(((HUG)))
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

wow. someone I work with is going through something similar. I pray for his full recovery and now yours.
enjoy your trip!
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Sending forum hugs and prayers and wishes for health and happiness!

No place better to heal than STJ! :-)
Knolmom

Glioma

Post by Knolmom »

A close family friend had a similiar occurrence with a glioma two years ago and has had a very positive outcome with no negative consequences since. Wishing you the same, with our prayers attached.
She and her DH are devouted to their paradise in Marathon, Florida for boating and fishing and she insisted that the thoughts of blue water and warm sand got her through the bad times. They will be making their second yearly trip back this January.
Stay warm, stay positive and keep dreaming of St John.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Stay away from Dr. Goggle! Seriously, I nearly drove myself crazy at one point with all my medical "research."

Like the poster above me, we personally know two people who went through similar issues and both are just fine now.

Sending postive vibes your way.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

traveler: best wishes to you for your continued healing and wonderful spirit. I'm so glad that a trip to STJ is part of your treatment plan.

Coral Bay is wonderful! We really like the location. You'll get sunrise views; a great way to enjoy that first cup of coffee. If you haven't tried them yet, we have had great dinners at Shipwreck Landing, and enjoyed lunch at the Tourist Trap, Miss Lucy's and Vie's. (Have had some good drinks at the Aqua Bistro bar, too, and they often have live music.) Have never been to Sweet Plantains but have heard great things about it. If you rent snorkel gear, you can use Crabby's for that. Crabby's also rents kayaks (single or double) and Doug will trailer them over to Princess Bay for you. Lily's Market has a good selection of groceries and we also bought our share of beverages and snacks at the Love City Mini Mart (I think that's the name - we always called it the Love Shack.)

Have fun with your planning and again best wishes for a speedy recovery.
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Thanks for all the well wishes every one. I feel very lucky so far. I have a very strong family and great friends and most of the news has been good so far. The patheogy came back
low grade 2 and non maglignant but where it is it can never be fully removed just managed with radiation. I still walk, talk and see so its all good. I was told by docs to rest for a month from the surgery, do my radiation, go to St. John (my wife know how to fix me up), rest and then we"ll go from there. Just chomping at the bit now that plans are in place, cant wait. and yes PA Girl Dr. Google can be a bad man. ok back to making my ticker.
loria

Post by loria »

O wow--here's to healing quickly--We too have a friend that is in the midst of this and doing very very well--- It's wonderful that St john is part of your healing plan--I cannot imagine a better place to be--we'll overlap with you a bit (we arrive on the 20th late in the day) and are also staying on Coral Bay--perhaps we can meet up for a beer! Stay well.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

2 weeks that have changed your life! I can relate- at 36 I had a stroke back in August and some seizures about a month ago. Dreaming of going back to STJ cuz I damn well, and you damn well, deserve it!

Coral Bay is quieter, more laid back. Hubby and I prefer it. No trouble finding parking at all.

The closest North Shore beaches are Francis and Maho. Then there's also Salt Pond beach if you turn right at the Coral Bay triangle. And heading to the left at the triangle, out to the East End, 2 of our favorite beaches, Haulover and Miss Vie's.

Can also get garlic fried chix & Johnny cakes and drinks at Vie's.

Skinny Legs is the beach bar that's not on a beach and good burgers too.

Great food at Miss Lucy's (heading toward Salt Pond), Aqua Bistro at Cocoloba Plaza, Shipwreck up the ropad a bit more and people seem to like Sweet Plantains too.

Great breakfast at Donkey Diner. Small shops at both Skinny's, Shipwreck and Cocoloba Plaza.

Plenty to do, eat etc in Coral Bay! Enjoy it cuz you freakin deserve it!
toni

Post by toni »

Oh my! Sending positive healing thoughts to you-may st John be the cure for all your ills.

We enjoy the coral bay side, take the drive to lameshur, Make the walk to salt pond, eat at the tourist trap and shipwreck, vie's and skinny's, island blues by the water and Aqua bistro too, Mmmmmmm my mouth is watering now :lol:

I Hope all the planning helps you through things.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I can't think of anyone more deserving of a St. John vacation (well Lysa C, too!) - so please go and relax and truly enjoy each and every thing you do and every sight you see. I know you will.

I am praying for a full recovery and easy battle to get there.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Sincere wishes for a full recovery for you - sorry to hear this news! I am glad you will be enjoying St. John again.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Coden

Post by Coden »

You've certainly picked the right places for healing, STJ and Coral Bay. I wish you the best there, and in your recovery.
Coden
djmom

Post by djmom »

Traveler22- Sorry to hear the bad part of the news. I am sure it has been very scary!

I think it is wonderful that you are just going to go for it and enjoy some healing time in the most beautiful place in the world. Much better than worrying at home.

Glad to hear it is not a worse case scenario. I am happy you decided to go to St. John and are able to make the best out of it.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."