liquer on cruises

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Capn Dan and Ruby

liquer on cruises

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We are checking out cruise pricing for our daughter and her husband who are limited on cash. What do drinks usually run on cruise ships? (beer particularly, but other alcahol as well)
Pia

Post by Pia »

Fruity drinks probably $8.00 as long as you don't buy the ones in the specialty glasses(think Pina Colada etc), Wine $8-$10 per glass for "average" wine, Beer $4.00-$6.00 (Corona is more expensive) range, Gin & Tonic probably $5-$8 for non premium (premium in the $8-$12 range).

Drinks are not cheap on a cruise I always compare to prices to a nice restaurant.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

I have a bit of experiance on the liquor thing. Bring your own on checked bags, Yes they put your luggage through xray, but if you put your booze in these nifty containers, no problem.
www.rumrunnerflasks.com
Most cruiselines allow to bring your own sodas, water, etc and CCL will allow to bring onboard your own wine/champagne, one bottle per night. What line are you looking for your daughter? I try and do 1-3 cruises a year(ports are very close) Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

O.K., I'll bite. What about a liter water bottle filled with Vodka, don't break the seal??? Sounds like a very nice couple on a budget. Do I know you????
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

LauraD, do you put those things in a checked airline bag? I would be so nervous that they would split and wreck everything.

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but I have never been on a cruise, so...can't you just buy your drink fixings of choice in port? Rum is so cheap in the VIs for example. Do they bar you from bringing alcohol you purchase at a port stop back on board the ship?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

liamsaunt wrote:LauraD, do you put those things in a checked airline bag? I would be so nervous that they would split and wreck everything.

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but I have never been on a cruise, so...can't you just buy your drink fixings of choice in port? Rum is so cheap in the VIs for example. Do they bar you from bringing alcohol you purchase at a port stop back on board the ship?
I can only vouch for NCL, but they do not allow you to have your own alcohol on the ship. In fact, they xray the bags and if they find it, they call you into a room to remove it from your bag :roll:

We always get bottle service, sure it is expensive but it is vaction. We pay $40 for a bottle of vodka in the room and then we buy a soda pass for the week and mix up our own pre-dinner drinks. Other than that, we just pay the prices.
Pia

Post by Pia »

You can buy liquor at each port but they take it from you when you reboard the ship at the xray machines and they will return it on the last night. I know you are allowed to take one bottle (on Celebrity anyway) of wine/champagne on the ship on the first night only.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

I have cruised CCL, RCL, NCL, Disney, PCL, Celebirty and a host of others. Yes, you can buy your liquor in the ports you visit, but as Pia stated, ot will be taken when you board the ship and returned the last evening of the cruise. I live 1-4 hours from the ports, so I just buy my mixers at home. I have never been taken to the "naughty room" though my BIL has, he kept his liquor in the original bottles.
It might sound like alot of fuss to do the rumrunner thing, but saves us alot of money. If you bring them on a plane, do not fill all the way, leave an inch or so for expansion.
Capt Dan and Ruby, check out cruisecritic.com, alot of info on the forums. Laura
jmq

Post by jmq »

Another nail in the coffin of me not understanding how a cruise is really a cost effective way to vacation for the people who are not interested in eating 8 times a day, but who ARE interested in taking excursions and eating local food at the various destinations and the additional costs that incurs.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

jmq, Don't get me wrong, cruising is not my only means of travel. I have lived in Thailand, Singapore and West Africa, vaca'd in all the Bahama islands as well as US and British VIs, Puerto Rico, Amsterdam, France, England, Barcelona, Central and South America and East Africa. One day I will make it to Alaska. And I do enjoy the local flavors and adventures. Laura 8)
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I brought a 32oz rum runner of gin , 32oz of vodka and 2 8 oz ones of wiskey on my panama canal cruise in Sept the big ones were in between my fins and the small ones were in my pockets for boarding the sat out for the 2 weeks on the counter the room steward never said a word.
Tom
jmq

Post by jmq »

LauraD - no slights or personal implications intended. I totally understand and appreciate that cruises are loved by many, even those who also travel other ways. It is just that when I get pitched the conventional wisdom of "its such a bargain" I think, well, maybe not so much for some folks when you consider the "extras", and I didnt even know about the big time restrictions on enjoying your own cocktails. I imagine its not that hard to run up a pretty sizable bar tab.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think it is easy to make it economical.
Our last cruise we stayed in a suite with a butler. Had a bottle for the room but still drank plenty on the ship.
We booked all our own excursions at every port.

We had 5 stops and enjoyed the heck out of our ourselves.
All that added up to less than our typical STJ vacation, including airfare.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Lots of good advise. My daughter and son in law are more interested in the get away time (they have an 18month old son, and work all the time) than heavy excursions, but drinking is a definate consideration. Great advise. We are also going to haul them to St. John... probably next year...they have never been... :wink:
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Disney Cruiseline does allow you to bring liquor on board in carry on only: I got this from their website:

Quote:
Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $18.00 per bottle.
Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage. :End Quote:...lol

You also do not have to purchase a soda card from them those are included in your cruise price...:)

Out of all the cruiselines we have sailed...we really liked Disney and our kids had a wonderful time as well.
[/url]